What small changes have helped you lose weight?

So this isn’t my first time at the rodeo. I’ve successfully lost 20 or so lbs a few times now. But I always end up slipping into old habits and gaining it back.

This time I am really trying to determine what my specific eating issues/bad habits are so I make some hopefully more long-lasting changes. So far I’ve identified:

1. Coffee drinks - I never get Frappuccinos etc but I usually have at least one 100-200 cal drink like an oat milk latte a day. Trying to cut these out.

2. Eating my kids’ food. This is a big one - I make dinner for them and end up picking at it or even eating a small meal myself and then I have another big dinner later in the evening. Trying to not snack on kids’ food.

3. Wine. The calories but also the lack willpower when I have a few glasses. A big bag of Trader Joe’s licorice always looks real good after a few glasses of Prosecco. Trying to limit drinking to weekends only.

So those are my changes so far!

Just wondering what other small changes people have made that have really helped ? Let me know!

Replies

• Frank19556
    Frank19556 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2021
    A small thing I have done is stopped putting half and half in my coffee. At first, I missed the cream, but now I actually like the coffee black. I think it took me over a month though, so it is worth trying to stick it out even if your first thought is "no way".
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I've come to the point of realization there are just certain foods I cannot keep in the house anymore. :(

I'm the opposite; if we have it in the house, I don't need to go out and buy it when I'm craving/stressed because in that situation I'm more likely to buy and consume a larger quantity. I try to buy pre-portioned items; for example Cadbury mini bars (16g I think) rather than a 200g bar that I then break down. That makes it easier to stick to one portion (or it's a conscious decision to eat more).

I try to get my 5-a-day of fruit/vegetables, then I flipped it on it's head and try to have 1-a-day of crisps/chocolate/baked goods/ice cream. As my calorie goal has reduced (as I've lost weight) I can't necessarily have one of each, but I'd try not to have two cookies on an average day even if it would fit in my calorie goal.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Frank19556 wrote: »
    A small thing I have done is stopped putting half and half in my coffee. At first, I missed the cream, but now I actually like the coffee black. I think it took me over a month though, so it is worth trying to stick it out even if your first thought is "no way".

+1! I learned to take my coffee black in college. Good-quality beans make a huge difference - these days I get my beans from a local roastery so they're fresh and delicious, but if you're drinking preground Folgers from the red can right now, even just switching to whole-bean grocery store coffee and grinding it as-needed will upgrade your (general "you") coffee game. I also find that preparation styles that don't involve paper filters give me a smoother and more flavorful cup - coffee beans have aromatic oils in them that paper filters tend to absorb. I have a French press that I love, it's my go-to these days since it holds the same volume as my trusty travel mug, but an Aeropress with the steel mesh filter is also a good option. We also have an old Keurig and reusable fake K-cups (no DRM here), and the coffee it makes is serviceable enough, if there's not time to boil water and steep the grounds in the French press/Aeropress.

Drip percolators, like your classic Mr. Coffee, are okay if you can drink the coffee right away; sitting on the warmer for a long time is what makes the coffee bitter and unpleasant. If that's what you have access to, though, putting a tiny bit of salt in that bitter coffee can help smooth it out without adding calories. Just a tiny bit, mind - err on the side of not enough, for sure, then taste and adjust. I usually tip some salt into my hand, usually about 1/8 tsp.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    weighing and logging food

being more active

keeping 'trigger' foods out of the house. if i want something bad enough i will go get it, but that involves me having to make that effort and usually... its just not worth it.

finding lower calorie replacements for higher calorie items. salad dressings, etc.

My coffee creamer is non negotiable ;)
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    edited July 2021
      • Forcing myself to portion control. I used to eat 3 times what I should have. Once I got used to it, it was so easy.
      • Identifying the junk foods I crave and binge on the most (trigger foods), and finding healthy/low cal substitutes has been a massive help for me. I make sure I have those substitutes at hand always, or else I will binge on a substitute... (Protein shake ice cream is a godsend)
      • Forcing myself to get over my dislike of sweeteners, and using them to make homemade low cal treats.
      • I don't drink any calories.
      • Logging what I eat helps way more than I expected it to when I started. I thought it would be a nuisance. But it turns out I find it motivating.
      This one isn't really "small" probably, but has been the biggest help for me out of any thing.
      • Prepping my food for the week in advance. This means I never think about "what do I want," or "what sounds yummy.." And not thinking about food, is like conquering my nemesis.
    • MikePfirrman
      MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
      edited July 2021
      When I start to get over my 5 lbs of "cushion", I change a few things. I'm not a morning eater anyway, so this isn't as hard as it sounds, but I skip the AM eating. I eat after my workout at lunch for the first time (around 1:30 PM).

I've also been cooking better, healthier (and large) meals on Sunday. If I plan it that way, starts the week off on a good foot. Plus, I eat leftovers for lunch. Back in the day, the wife would want something like Spaghetti and meatballs on Sunday and we'd use like 5 lbs of meat. Guess who at all of the leftovers? Not the wife. I can't do that stuff any longer and maintain.

At night (when I do most of my calories), I'll switch out things like popsicles or ice cream for fruit or a protein drink instead.

One big thing for me is not keeping honey PB around. It's like crack for me. Worse than Ice cream or anything, to be honest. If it's regular PB, I'm fine. Add that 3 to 5g of sugar into it and I can eat half a jar.
    • age_is_just_a_number
      age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
      It’s a series of small sustainable changes:
      - make water my drink of choice
      - Reduce ( I try to eliminate, but that’s too big of a change) my after dinner snack. Instead of a bowl take a handful, then eat one at a time.
      - Track food.
    • ahoy_m8
      ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member

I learned that being authoritarian on myself was far less productive than learning how to negotiate with myself.

Great insight.
    • BuddhaBunnyFTW
      BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
      Reducing Wine, eating mostly vegan, with the occasional lean protein, and weighing my food.
    • ReenieHJ
      ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
      I agree with the poster who suggested using a hot drink as a snack. Lots of times I'll just have my cup of coffee instead of something to eat. Sadly, I have never developed a taste for tea which would be even better.
    • OnceAndFutureAthlete
      OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
      ReenieHJ wrote: »
      I agree with the poster who suggested using a hot drink as a snack. Lots of times I'll just have my cup of coffee instead of something to eat.

Seconded (thirded?) on the hot drink as snack.
      My Go-To to substitute for dessert is a cup of decaf chai and then I add Truvia. It's pretty much the only time I use an artificial sweetener, but the hot, sweet drink really satisfies the need for something sweet after dinner.

In the afternoon, I will sometimes make iced coffee from any leftover coffee from the morning. Again adding Truvia or just a little sugar - I don't use either in my hot AM coffee, so that makes a nice sweet treat. And the fact that it's cold makes it different from my regular morning joe.

Hmmm, looking at my answer in Preview, it seems my solution is a sweet drink rather than something hot.
    • jdrice5214089
      jdrice5214089 Posts: 7 Member
      My small change is the only beverage I drink now is water and ice tea every once in a while sweetened with truvia. I gave up soda and alcoholic beverages weeks ago and I do not miss them at all.