Starting Again After Pandemic Gain

Options
sulwen314
sulwen314 Posts: 21 Member
In 2019, I was doing great. I lost 35 pounds, had completed C25K, and was well on my way to my goal weight.

Then Covid happened. My mental health went right in the garbage, and it felt impossible to keep focusing on losing weight in the face of everything else that was going on. Since the start of 2020, I have put 30 pounds back on.

I know I can lose it again. I've done it before, and I know the plan that works for me: meal prep, weigh my food, log what I eat in MFP, exercise and eat 50-100% of exercise calories back. Slow and steady 500 calorie per day deficit.

But man, it sucks to be facing down the same weight I just lost a couple of years ago. Still - nothing I can do to change what's already happened. All I can do is look forward, and commit to making the change now.

Good luck to everyone attempting the same! We can do this!

Replies

• Max202123
    Max202123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All the best on your resolution to start again
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! And you're in good company - a lot of us gained weight without wanting to. :) By the way, among those who gained unwanted weight during the pandemic, the average was about 30 pounds.
  • gramspets
    gramspets Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 but gained 9 back. I'm trying to get back on track.
  • sarahblythe1
    sarahblythe1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My husband and I also gained the "quarantine 15" plus more. I was ready to finally head back to gym once fully vaccinated and I broke my dang toe. Now that it's mostly healed, I'm hitting the gym tomorrow!
  • sarakenna12
    sarakenna12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hear you! After Covid I'm up 15-20 lbs, and back up to my post baby weight (it's been 6 years since I had him). I'm finding it much more difficult to lose this time around too. The scale isn't going down as quickly as it did a few years ago. Sigh. Trying to remember that it's consistency that counts. As long as I stay on track and don't let the slow decline in weight demotivate me, I'll get to where I need to go.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    It is what it is. Just grit your teeth and restart and do it again.

Sometimes I think that instead of losing 90 pounds, I’ve lost 900 if you figure all the ones I’ve added back and lost again during the past three years.
  • Chooklet57
    Chooklet57 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh here ye! I'm with you. Time to start again (for the last time) for this chickadee. Game on!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    many did, even those of us who are old hands at this (myself included). including those that really, that pandemic didnt really affect much (we have a farm and truly, dont 'people' or leave the farm much LOL so what was my excuse? i got nuthin, chickie LOL

got on the scale one day (after months of 'invisible elves' sewing my clothes smaller and smaller LMAO) and went OH *kitten* and got back at it. truly i went through a period of pretty severe depression (non pandemic related) that didnt help matters. as that got better, i felt better. i felt more like caring about my weight and overall health.

problem solved. i knew what i needed to do, and did it. lost what i gained, and started losing what i needed to lose the 'more of' and had been too lazy to work on to begin with.

youve got this. its not fun or easy, but you know what you need to do. plenty of support to be had here. :)
  • Cinder333
    Cinder333 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am also starting again (the pandemic didn't help, but my weight didn't go up too much). I lost 8 pounds for my daughter's wedding, but have gained back most of it. I am just tired of feeling heavy, and I get discouraged that I have quite a bit to lose.

But I am starting over today, and I got some really good food that is healthier and that I actually look forward to eating. I am also going to try a little higher calorie amount initially to see if that helps me stick to it. Even if I lose 1/2 pound a week it will be worth it if I can stick it out this time.

Good luck everyone!
  • sulwen314
    sulwen314 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Coming back to this to motivate myself to start yet again. Had another death in the family over the 4th of July weekend. Feels like every time I try to get back on track, something else happens. Please, please, just give me a few uneventful months.
  • Brindal8787
    Brindal8787 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI! I go by the nym Brindal88787, and I lost all my friends in a recent MFP crash. i've been on MFP since another group closed few years ago. Over about10 years, I've lost over 50 pounds. 😎👍👍 Now I need some friends to get me to my goal: just NINE ponds away!!!