How often do you adjust your activity level?

Options
I recently was reading up on BMR and TDEE and realized that I've been over restricting since I started working out (mostly HIIT 3-5x per week) a few months ago. I've adjusted my activity level in MFP and it now matches what I calculated. I already feel A LOT better physically -- more energy, better sleep, less moody, etc.

My question is: should I adjust my activity level whenever there's a slight change? For example if I go a day without working out or if I go a week without working out. I don't want to overestimate or underestimate how many calories I need.

How do you approach this?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My activity level is pretty consistent so I just manually set a calorie goal based on my TDEE, rather than log my daily exercise and eat those calories back. MFP's method assumes that you will do no purposeful exercise, and if you do, you're meant to log it as cardio and thus increase your calorie budget for the day.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    MFP was designed with this in mind:
    - select an activity level based on activity not including exercise
    - enter exercise sessions when applicable and get extra calories to consume
    So the only adjustment needed is if your activity level outside of exercise changes.

With a linked step tracker/fitness tracker (which is what I have), it's a little different: what activity level you select doesn't have much importance (on condition of allowing negative adjustments), since MFP will give an adjustment/correction either way. When I'm less active, I simply get a lower calorie goal that day. I like this method because my activity level (exercise and non-exercise) can be very variable, which would make the alternative (below) too much of a hassle.

When using MFP in a different way (setting a goal based on TDEE, which is what you seem to be doing), it's wise to reevaluate regularly in case of long term changes (e.g. going from a desk job to a physicial job), or make temporary adjustments (for example a week when you're feeling ill). This method is best suited for people who are very regular in their activity/exercise, because if you aren't, you're constantly making adjustments. Which would drive me insane :mrgreen:
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    My day to day activity can vary, but unless there is a "life change," I prefer to set a calorie amount for an average, and eat approximately the same amount each day rather than vary one day to the next (it makes my appetite a lot easier to deal with).

If there is a "life change" (such as a new, regular activity - or a job change that changes my activity level), I will adjust as needed, but sometimes find it hard to calculate as my personal needs vary a bit from the calculators (but they are a good general guide to start from).

Not eating enough can definitely affect your overall energy levels, which can affect your overall burn, part of why it's important to eat enough even while losing!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I recently was reading up on BMR and TDEE and realized that I've been over restricting since I started working out (mostly HIIT 3-5x per week) a few months ago. I've adjusted my activity level in MFP and it now matches what I calculated. I already feel A LOT better physically -- more energy, better sleep, less moody, etc.

My question is: should I adjust my activity level whenever there's a slight change? For example if I go a day without working out or if I go a week without working out. I don't want to overestimate or underestimate how many calories I need.

So you are purposely using MFP incorrectly then with a TDEE method rather than the NEAT method it uses, which is exercise added when actually done.

Since not using MFP as designed you hopefully are doing extra tracking in a spreadsheet - in which case do a 3 wk running avg of typical weeks (don't include a sick week, or super busy moving week) if there is even much of a difference.

Since your typical TDEE calc (based on 1919 study) is only about rough exercise and no difference to daily activity (mail carrier & desk jockey with same workout would pick same level) - you don't need to adjust it that much unless your workout times really change.

And you don't change the MFP activity levels since that's not what they are about - just create your eating goal and manually set that.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I use TDEE. I just change when there's a signficiant change or my weight stops behaving in a manner I expect over several weeks and change my calorie goal manually to match my own math. That said my primary day job is at a desk but my LIFE includes really consistent exercise that would be almost hard to track and I just cannot.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I use MFP the way it was designed, so activity level has nothing to do with deliberate exercise. I get an hour or more of exercise almost every day--mostly running and walking, but also yoga and lawn mowing--and I log those as they happen. What I do varies by the day and by the week, so my actual calorie burn can be widely different. The rest of the time I am mostly sedentary, so I set that as my activity level. It hasn't changed in the years I've been on MFP.
  • audiofreedom
    audiofreedom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    MFP was designed with this in mind:
    - select an activity level based on activity not including exercise
    - enter exercise sessions when applicable and get extra calories to consume
    So the only adjustment needed is if your activity level outside of exercise changes.

With a linked step tracker/fitness tracker (which is what I have), it's a little different: what activity level you select doesn't have much importance (on condition of allowing negative adjustments), since MFP will give an adjustment/correction either way. When I'm less active, I simply get a lower calorie goal that day. I like this method because my activity level (exercise and non-exercise) can be very variable, which would make the alternative (below) too much of a hassle.

When using MFP in a different way (setting a goal based on TDEE, which is what you seem to be doing), it's wise to reevaluate regularly in case of long term changes (e.g. going from a desk job to a physicial job), or make temporary adjustments (for example a week when you're feeling ill). This method is best suited for people who are very regular in their activity/exercise, because if you aren't, you're constantly making adjustments. Which would drive me insane :mrgreen:

This is is REALLY helpful. I accidently ran my Fitbit through the washing machine recently and haven't replaced it but it sounds like it would be easier on myself to replace it sooner than later.
  • audiofreedom
    Options
    Overall what I'm hearing from these comments is that this is all very complicated and there are a lot of different ways to approach it that aren't necessarily compatible. It's really helpful to know that MFP does it's calculations through NEAT. It sounds like if I'm going to go off of TDEE, I should adjust my activity level in MFP only when there's a major change (I stop exercising altogether/take a week off) but not record regular exercise. I should also (re)invest in a fitness tracker.

I'll try it for a while and reevaluate if I should go back to the way MFP is supposed to be used. Weight loss is all about trial and error after all!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

So you are purposely using MFP incorrectly then with a TDEE method rather than the NEAT method it uses, which is exercise added when actually done.

Since not using MFP as designed you hopefully are doing extra tracking in a spreadsheet - in which case do a 3 wk running avg of typical weeks (don't include a sick week, or super busy moving week) if there is even much of a difference.

Since your typical TDEE calc (based on 1919 study) is only about rough exercise and no difference to daily activity (mail carrier & desk jockey with same workout would pick same level) - you don't need to adjust it that much unless your workout times really change.

And you don't change the MFP activity levels since that's not what they are about - just create your eating goal and manually set that.

I know you're totally the man when it comes to understanding and explaining these things. I appreciate reading your posts, every time.

With utmost respect: For an adult woman, not yet in menopause, I think 3 weeks could lead to some extra weirdness in the averages. I'd go with averaging over whole menstrual cycles for less noisy results, as generic advice.

Just my opinion, though.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Activity level doesn't include exercise. You add that separately after you do it. If you got credit for exercise calories before you did them, a lot of people wouldn't do them, and would eat too many calories.
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options

This is is REALLY helpful. I accidently ran my Fitbit through the washing machine recently and haven't replaced it but it sounds like it would be easier on myself to replace it sooner than later.

Same. But I no longer use mine because it's useless for anything calorie related.
  • heybales
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I know you're totally the man when it comes to understanding and explaining these things. I appreciate reading your posts, every time.

With utmost respect: For an adult woman, not yet in menopause, I think 3 weeks could lead to some extra weirdness in the averages. I'd go with averaging over whole menstrual cycles for less noisy results, as generic advice.

Just my opinion, though.

Very true, bad switch-a-roo to 4 wk advice when called for.
  • heybales
    Options
    Overall what I'm hearing from these comments is that this is all very complicated and there are a lot of different ways to approach it that aren't necessarily compatible. It's really helpful to know that MFP does it's calculations through NEAT. It sounds like if I'm going to go off of TDEE, I should adjust my activity level in MFP only when there's a major change (I stop exercising altogether/take a week off) but not record regular exercise. I should also (re)invest in a fitness tracker.

I'll try it for a while and reevaluate if I should go back to the way MFP is supposed to be used. Weight loss is all about trial and error after all!

Actually not.

Because the MFP levels in MFP (only 4 of them not typical 5) are NOT the same level values as other TDEE calcs (despite the names).

Unless out of sheer coincidence you can select a setting that matches the daily burn.

But it's easier to forget that, just leave MFP as sedentary.

Take the results of your rough TDEE estimate (unless it's a better one than 1-3 hrs of exercise weekly style, then perhaps not so rough) - subtract your desired deficit (500 cal daily for 1 lb weekly fat loss) - and their's your eating goal.

Now go to your MFP Goals and set your eating goal to that.
    Change your macros to whatever if desired.

Keep it until you change.
  • audiofreedom
    Options

Actually not.

Because the MFP levels in MFP (only 4 of them not typical 5) are NOT the same level values as other TDEE calcs (despite the names).

Unless out of sheer coincidence you can select a setting that matches the daily burn.

But it's easier to forget that, just leave MFP as sedentary.

Take the results of your rough TDEE estimate (unless it's a better one than 1-3 hrs of exercise weekly style, then perhaps not so rough) - subtract your desired deficit (500 cal daily for 1 lb weekly fat loss) - and their's your eating goal.

Now go to your MFP Goals and set your eating goal to that.
    Change your macros to whatever if desired.

Keep it until you change.

Oooh so change my calorie goal not activity level. Got it! Thank you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

Using MFP as designed will take all the complications out of it :)

I set my activity level per this:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

82qpvnd5nv4d.jpg

And log exercise.