Post-workout refueling for evening exercisers

Options
Hi all, I've got a question about refueling after exercising in the evening. Although I'm no night owl, I'm not an earlier riser either, so I often do my cardio in the evening, 2-3 hours before bed. I know it's important to refuel with protein/carbs after exercising, but I worry about eating too late at night.

Does anyone have recommendations for post-workout snacks for people like me, who exercise in the evening? I'm going jogging tonight and was thinking of having a hard-boiled egg and 220ml of 100% no-salt veggie juice afterwards. Thoughts?

Replies

• Cakepiebeer
    Options
    I drink chocolate milk. Its has the perfect ratio of carbs/ protien.

As for food... ill usually do a couple table spoons of peanut butter.

Thats late night after 9 pm
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Oh.. hardboiled eggs.. very good choice. Also cottage cheese
  • ekr2107
    ekr2107 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, Cakepiebeer! I would love to refuel with chocolate milk or cottage cheese- two of my absolute most favorite foods in the world- but I live in Japan, and both are hard to come by... Guess I will stick to eggs for now ^_^
  • wedjul05
    Options
    I exercise after the kids go to bed, get to the gym at 8pm, home at 10pm.

I try and eat something like an omelette at 5pm. After the gym I have a protein shake and if I'm still peckish, I have rice cakes with peanut butter or a small bowl of cereal.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I do my "morning" workout around noon and my "evening" workout between midnight and 2am... I don't like to eat that late so I just refuel with some kind of recovery drink that has a bit of creatine in it. Helps recover my muscles more quickly for the next morning workout if I worked extra hard that night. A protein shake is a really good alternative as well.
  • tkelly305
    Options
    Before bed have a protein shake with 1% milk and a light carb such as a cup of mixed fruit. The milk slows down the process of the protein while you sleep. When you wake up have another shake with water to refuel your body. Your body uses 20% more energy utilizing protein over carbs. More energy=more fat burning time= :)
    Hope this helps
    Cottage cheese before bed is also a great option! Put it on your fruit!
  • tkelly305
    Options
    Before bed have a protein shake with 1% milk and a light carb such as a cup of mixed fruit. The milk slows down the process of the protein while you sleep. When you wake up have another shake with water to refuel your body. Your body uses 20% more energy utilizing protein over carbs. More energy=more fat burning time= :)
    Hope this helps
    Cottage cheese before bed is also a great option! Put it on your fruit!

5405033.png
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I workout from 7 to 8pm on Tuesdays - so only get home around 8:30pm

I take a protein shake to drink as I leave the gym - and then just eat my normal dinner when I get home - normally quickly throw a steak on the grill with some veges, so I can eat by 9pm.....still 3 hours before my bed time....
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I have protein and carbs straight after, dinner of meat/fish and veg within the hour, then if you can't get fresh dairy for bed, maybe get a casein protein supplement.

There's no such thing as too late.
  • HackerX
    Options
    but I worry about eating too late at night.

Don't :)

Unless your daily eating is out of wack, eating late at night or before bed is a non issue (as long as you stick to your calorie goals and balance your meals through out the day so you're not eating all your calories all at once).