Deer Antler Velvet

Options
2»

Replies

• michelle_FR
    michelle_FR Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I read this thread title as "Dear Antler Velvet" and had very different expectations for what it would entail 😂
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Heard deer estrous works better..

• JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    This made me think of an early Longmire episode, except it was Elk velvet, and entire episode revolved around it.

I love, love, love Walt Longmire. If Tim McGraw tells me "No!", Walt is my next choice.
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Heard deer estrous works better..

evoyzrb6ew96.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I read this thread title as "Dear Antler Velvet" and had very different expectations for what it would entail 😂

Sorry to disappoint. ☹️
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,374 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Apparently it's a supplement:
    https://www.rxlist.com/deer_velvet/supplements.htm
    https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-808/deer-velvet

I don't see any (known) side effects mentioned, but the fact that it contains sex hormones would make me very reticent.
    Not much info on the positive effects of this supplement either, lots of claims but not much evidence apparently...

I already have to be on the alert for deer dashing into the road. I don't need to be worried about them trying to start a territorial fight with me because I'm exuding stag sex hormones.

I’m more ticked off at the young buck who ate almost all my plums off my little tree.
    Four years ago I planted it. First year there were a handful and we got zero. The tree is taller and there were probably 150 plums yesterday. This morning? Maybe 20, all at the top.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Apparently it's a supplement:
    https://www.rxlist.com/deer_velvet/supplements.htm
    https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-808/deer-velvet

I don't see any (known) side effects mentioned, but the fact that it contains sex hormones would make me very reticent.
    Not much info on the positive effects of this supplement either, lots of claims but not much evidence apparently...

I already have to be on the alert for deer dashing into the road. I don't need to be worried about them trying to start a territorial fight with me because I'm exuding stag sex hormones.

I’m more ticked off at the young buck who ate almost all my plums off my little tree.
    Four years ago I planted it. First year there were a handful and we got zero. The tree is taller and there were probably 150 plums yesterday. This morning? Maybe 20, all at the top.

Nothing but a tall sturdy fence is 100% against a very hungry deer, but I do keep them out of my tulips and hosta by hanging quartered bars of Irish Spring soap.

https://tiphero.com/irish-spring-deer-deterrent
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Bigz19 wrote: »
    Are there any side effects of deer antler velvet? I have looked at a lot of articles and I can’t find anything conclusive.

I used to work for a company that sold this. Don't waste your money. Were you looking to boost your testosterone? Here are better options:

https://examine.com/nutrition/increase-testosterone-naturally/

To optimize your testosterone levels, you don’t only need the proper amounts of vitamins and minerals; you also need to sleep well, exercise, and keep a healthy weight.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping this supplement would do?
  • kshama2001
    Options

My former company pitched it as a natural source of IGF-1, a hormone which helps with muscle growth.
  • goal06082021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My former company pitched it as a natural source of IGF-1, a hormone which helps with muscle growth.

Which is weird because it's apparently full of estrogen/estrogen-like compounds...? I fully admit I don't know much about hormones but that seems off.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Which is weird because it's apparently full of estrogen/estrogen-like compounds...? I fully admit I don't know much about hormones but that seems off.

Which would make it better suited as a menopause relief aid, one would think.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,218 Member
    Options
    Ate you wearing it? Like a velvet track suit? In which case I'd advise against it
  • azuki
    azuki Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    dont forget tide pods /s
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Remember when bee pollen was all the rage?
    And ginseng? And grapefruit?
    Back in my grandmother’s day it was Graham crackers….

Raspberry ketones! Green coffee beans!

Deer antlers make great dog chews but they're wickedly expensive. That's all I know about deer antler.

see.... we live on a farm. while we dont allow hunting on our land, areas around us do. And im convinced no one in this county can actually shoot to kill immediately, so a lot of injured deer DIE on our land. so our dogs get plenty of antlers for free. and other deer bones. were i more industrious, id find the deer before the dogs and harvest, package and sell the suckers myself LOL
  • goal06082021
    Options

Deer antlers make great dog chews but they're wickedly expensive. That's all I know about deer antler.

see.... we live on a farm. while we dont allow hunting on our land, areas around us do. And im convinced no one in this county can actually shoot to kill immediately, so a lot of injured deer DIE on our land. so our dogs get plenty of antlers for free. and other deer bones. were i more industrious, id find the deer before the dogs and harvest, package and sell the suckers myself LOL

I mean, pursuant to local laws, it sounds like you have a "free venison" problem, which furthermore sounds like the opposite of a problem.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    azuki wrote: »
    dont forget tide pods /s
    As a supplement, or a deer deterrent?
  • kshama2001
    Options

My former company sold that junk too.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bigz19 wrote: »
    Are there any side effects of deer antler velvet? I have looked at a lot of articles and I can’t find anything conclusive.

It interacts with mummy dust, so be careful.