Who else has a lot to lose?

Options

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Things are going well. I have been getting in to bike riding with my husband so we have gone on a couple long rides this week.

I have lost half of my 125 pound goal milestone and I'm so excited to start chipping away on the second half.

Excellent!
  • Neds1980
    Neds1980 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello. May I join also? I have quite a bit to lose and have been up and down with my weight for so many years.

My heaviest was 285lbs
    My current weight 273lbs
    Goal weight 168lbs

I was down to 243lbs a few months ago. Stress has resulted in me gaining so much in a very short space of time. I need to stop gaining otherwise I will be ba k to my heaviest weight again!

Loved reading all your posts. I hope we an hlp eachother on our journeys.
  • kellibee2000
    kellibee2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 That is so bad ash! (I'm gonna start cussing like they do in the show The Good Place 😂)

Welcome @Neds1980!

I've lost all of 2lbs since starting being more active. Since it's been over a month, you could say it was terrible (it's what I'd used to say). But I consider it a success! I have been working out regularly (cardio and weights) pretty consistently. Although I see a lot of ways I can improve, I have seen so much progress. I've also gotten clear on how eating is impacting how I feel, now that I'm moving more. I have a follow-up with a trainer in early Aug to do my measurements again, and I suspect I'll see more improvement there than I will on the scale. I'm still weighing myself very often which has helped see big losses and gains for what they are, blips on the radar of a overall slight downward slope on a graph.

I've got it in my head that I want to do the Freedom's Run 5k in Oct. I can do this awkward jog/shuffle for about 1 min at a time 🤣 I remember feeling like I was going to die from exercise induced asthma every time I had to do the 1 mile run in high school. I've never been a runner. NEVER! So I started a Couch to 5k yesterday and I'm going to do my best to be 5k ready. For giggles I looked up what the record is for the heaviest person to complete competitive races, and it's littered with 400-600lb folks. I figure weight is not an excuse if these incredible athletes can do it with hundreds of pounds of extra weight and the muscle needed to carry it. I guess I have no excuse. I can do it, if I am dedicated. Wish me luck or send regrets 😂🤣

How are you all doing? Have a good week!
  • Neds1980
    Options
    @kellibee2000 thanks for the welcome. You are doing a great job with fantastic goals! Well done!

I am glad I stumbled across group. Lost 1.5lbs from yesterday by logging down all my meals and drinking lots of water. I hate being this weight, it is getting me down at the moment.

I will weigh in every Friday to monitor my progress.

Keep up the fab work!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,148 Member
    Options
    @kellibee2000 Great to have that running goal! I haven't done a running race in many years... might be something to consider in the future. In any event, great to have an event to train for!
  • natea4
    natea4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been trying to lose weight on and off for pretty much my whole adult life. Best success was 10 years ago when I dropped 92lb and felt fantastic. Its just slowly all gone back on again and I'm really struggling.

I'm 41, female, 5 ft 5inches and weigh 308lb as of ten minutes ago. This is the heaviest I have ever been.

I plan to make some changes, stick to a calorie count and weigh and measure. I've rejoined the gym and want to start swimming again, which I love. I have long covid issues now which are complicating things in my job as a nurse so I need to improve my fitness. It won't come off overnight I know but first goal is to get to 20 stone... 280lb.

Looking forward to meeting people in the same boat as me on here and hopefully finding some success this time

Claire x
  • mal5w
    mal5w Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I also have a lot to lose. More than 100 pounds, if I am honest 125. I don't want to get into statistics - I have a bit of an eating disorder. Is that like being kinda pregnant? and also, omg, that's the first time I've admitted that out loud to anybody. Even though, I know, it wasn't really out loud - I typed it. You get my point. Quite honestly there are many things that trigger me about this whole app - the message you get when you complete your diary "if every day were like today..." Totally triggering ... I wish I knew how to turn it off. Also if I am honest, I don't really believe that I am going to lose any weight. I've tried before and failed. But I know that I feel better when I am eating healthier and exercising. So that's why I am here. I don't know that I will be posting often, but I thought it would be rude to lurk without saying hey.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    mal5w wrote: »
    I don't really believe that I am going to lose any weight. I've tried before and failed.

Hello there! feel free to add me one and all! I started in 2013 with one goal, basically any weight I lost that I would keep it off. Even if it were only 10 lbs, because I have a lot in common with mal here. I didn't believe for one second that I could actually do more than lose maybe 10 lbs for the rest of my life.

48 yo 5'3" starting weight 277. Current weight, 208 (69 lbs lost). Yeah, I don't believe it either. Nor do I trust this to be a reality. I just don't want to gain any of it back. This is my goal. I see that everyone in the whole world can lose weight - I see less ability to keep it off (this is my family's experience anyway). So if I had a dream weight it would probably be 135 (a loss of 75 more lbs) but I haven't weighed that since I was 18 years old. A childish experience to me now. This is actually the least I have weighed in 20 years, and again - I don't really believe it or trust it.

In my weight battle I fought: the weekends first. Yeah, I could scale back all week no problem, then the weekend would come and any losses were gone. The hubby had a lot to do with this, he makes lots of excuses for my weight and encourages me in bad food behaviors. Now, I do not allow myself more than one meal at a restaurant per week, some day I hope to make this once every two weeks. I will never eat at an all you can eat buffet for the rest of my life, seriously I just can't handle it.

Second battle: health, I was so heavy and my medical needs pretty severe from seizures, hives, fibroids, cancer you name it evidently I am prone for it. I had to get a special trike that could take my weight and be low to the ground for safety reasons. I am sooooooo glad I did this. Consider it a medical expense if you have medical problems. Now I could probably fit into a less expensive low to the ground trike, but I could not have gotten moving without this. I love it so much, trike! All the kids are jealous. I see them pointing staring and drooling.

Third battle: cheese. In 2014 I went down to 220 and have stayed there till Lent 2021 (Thank God for the Lent of 2021!). Great maintenance, I am very happy about this. It is a win in my book. But I couldn't get any more weight loss with the "cheese situation." I just couldn't give up cheese, of all the stupid things. I now have limited myself to no fat mozzarella and low fat cottage cheese. Really wish I had done this change sooner. I recently went to the Dr. and saw that my sat fats were affecting some things in my bloodwork, and while I am powerless to do anything about my hives or seizures or hypothyroidism or chronic anemia, this was actually something I could actually do something about. So sat fats are now staying low daily.

I love how the name of the thread is "who has a lot to lose" because while that is a common saying, people usually mean that they have things they don't want to lose, but we - we are different! We have a lot to lose, and we hope for it!

• Ammg0417
    Ammg0417 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not so much me, I only want to lose 15 pounds, but my fiances starting weight it 250 and his goal is 168, so we get it. Congrats on your decision to get healthier and you have support in the community to keep going!
  • jayenguk
    jayenguk Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    hey guys a brit here i have a lot to lose also please add me i could do with support and will give in return also. So atm im 290 lbs i would like to be about 180. first time using my fitness pal im an ex weight watcher person
  • wornoutmamabear
    wornoutmamabear Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello again, everyone! I just caught up on reading everyone’s updates.

I had to adjust the stats I’m tracking and add 4 lbs. to everything because my scale was apparently off due to a battery issue, lol. But my weight is still heading down! And I’ve still managed to stay under my calorie limit for the last 45 days, which I’m very proud of. I’m struggling the most with patience, I think. I want instant gratification, even though I know that’s not how this works. But I’ve got this!

New folks, feel free to add me!
  • Neds1980
    Options
    @justanotherloser007 I could have written that. You sound just like me. Up and down over the years. I have lost 13lbs since my heaviest (even though a few months ago I had lost 32lbs) I too am grateful to not gain the weight back and pleased with any loss. I agree with you, I too have to accept I can't eat out as much and definitely need to avoid buffets! Congratulations with your fantastic loss so far.

@wornoutmamabear congratulations on the 5 day streak! I hear ya on the patience front. I am so frustrated with myself for not having kept my weight off from February, I gained 33lbs out of the 46lbs I lost 😔 I just feel so fed up and exhausted...thinking here we go again! At least I have still kept off 13lbs so I have to ensure I don't go back to my start weight!

Keep going everyone xx
  • kellibee2000
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @Neds1980 Sweet! Nice job! Glad you're here. Yes, you're not only restarting with a loss but you still have all the knowledge and experience you earned losing the first time. You CAN do this.

@ashleycarole86 Thanks! Yes, I need something to shoot for or working out seems nice but more arbitrary. I'm excited and a little scared, which is usually how i feel when I try something new.

@natea4 Hi Claire, welcome! You can be one of the gang! Thank you so much for your sacrifice in being a nurse during a global pandemic. I salute you and I'm so glad you are taking the time to take care of you.

@mal5w Thank you for being here, jumping into discussion and sharing your truth. I noticed I prefer the community part to the other parts of the app, so my 2 cents are take what you need and leave the rest. I hope you find an inclusive place in health without triggers and where you can focus on being the healthiest version of yourself inside and out.

@justanotherloser007 Hello & welcome! Wow, you have been working towards health and wellness for some time already. I'm at the beginning, so seeing you write about how body changes can be hard to cope with even if they are ones you're working toward is inspiring. That's an important thing to keep in mind and for people to explore. You share many great tips, I hope you stick around for more great conversations!

@jayenguk Welcome aboard! Glad you're here!

@wornoutmamabear Oh no! When I read you had to add 4lbs bc your scale was off, all I could think of was the sound on price is right when you lose, LOL! What a bummer. Good to hear from you! Ugh, I am the worst w/ patience and it's a lesson life keeps bringing up. I GET IT, LIFE! I'm just not good at this! 😂

I'm visiting Pittsburgh with a friend for the first time. 🏙️ I'm eating lots of unique delicious terrible local foods (I'm looking at you, pierogies) and I'm walking quite a bit. I visited the Heinz museum today and learned way more than I ever wanted to about ketchup, and also saw an exhibit of Mr. Rogers, so win win! My main focus right now is to keep moving and train for a 5k in Oct. I do need to work on my eating, and as long as I keep moving I think I can do the run. I'll resume training on Tuesday.
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am 5’5” and I’m currently 244 pounds. My goal is to be under 200 pounds.
  • rrame
    rrame Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 257 pounds and I’m 5ft6. I’m at my highest weight ever. I was 230 pounds before and got down to 150 with exercise and healthy eating. I’m currently battling severe depression and that’s what got me to my current weight. Hoping to get into the right mindset to do it again.
  • wornoutmamabear
    wornoutmamabear Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Time to share my end-of-month stats! I’m super swollen because I just had surgery unexpectedly (thanks, stupid appendix 😬), but my weight is looking good, even if some of my measurements don’t reflect it right now. Keep it up, everyone!

JULY STATS
    💪 Monthly goals: stay under 1940 calories per day, walk 2000 steps a day
    Starting weight: 265.2
    💪 End-of-month weight: 256.0
    Starting BMI: 40.3- Class 3 Obesity
    💪 End-of-month BMI: 38.9 - Class 2 Obesity
    Starting bust measurement: N/A
    💪 End-of-month bust measurement: 49.5 in.
    Starting waist measurement: 50 in.
    💪 End-of-month waist measurement: 50 in.
    Starting hips measurement: 56 in.
    💪 End-of-month hips measurement: 55.5 in.
    Starting bicep measurement: 18.5 in.
    💪 End-of-month bicep measurement: 19 in.
    Starting thigh measurement: 25 in.
    💪 End-of-month thigh measurement: 25 in.
    Starting neck measurement: 16 in.
    💪 End-of-month neck measurement: 15.5 in.
    Starting dress size: 30W
    💪 End-of-month dress size: 30W
    -
    TOTAL month losses: 9.2 lbs., 0.5 in. (probably due to swelling from surgery), 1.4 BMI, 0 dress sizes

New goals: reduce calories to 1900 per day, increase steps to 2500 per day after surgery recovery
  • kellibee2000
    Options
    Awesome @wornoutmamabear!

Hmmm, I wonder what @Neds1980, @ashleycarole86, @justanotherloser007 are up to?

I have been travelling a bunch the last 2 weeks, and I have another trip this weekend to DC for my anniversary! We're going to see Green Day's tour and hang out in the city. We live about 1.5 hrs away so at least it's a short drive. I've driven sooo much the last couple weeks. Any other big concert ppl here? I love a good live show! It's a big part of how we bond as a couple, too.

Anyway I didn't work out in between trips since it was 3 days and 2 are my normal off days because they are long days at work. Wasn't the best choice, but that's what I did. Then Monday I straight up punked out of working out. Yesterday I got a kind message from @losing200lbs that inspired me to go for a walk. I really appreciate the support I get here in the community, and if I can do that for someone else, it's so worth being here!

Hope you all have a great week, MFPals!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,148 Member
    Options
    Things are going well here. As of today I have officially lost 70 pounds towards my 125 pound goal. My husband and I have really gotten into riding our bikes for exercise and we also continue to focus on getting lots of steps. We have had lots of occasions to test our planning and resolve and together we continue to find things that work for us.

Being online as part of this community is absolutely key to my success thus far.

@kellibee2000 I love live concerts too. Music is what my husband and I originally bonded over. Hope your upcoming vacation is as fun as your last looked to be!
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Height: 5 ft. 6 in.
    Starting date: March 28, 2021
    Starting weight: 305 lbs.
    Current weight: 250.8 (54.2 lbs loss)
    Goal weight: 150 (higher side of "normal" BMI)
    Goal Weight Date: April 1, 2022

Ive been losing an average of 13.5 lbs a month. Took up cycling. Downside: Cycling apparel is $$$ especially when you go down a size every other month...but that's small potatoes :D