Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    zombie thread!
  • MissyS1414
    MissyS1414 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually contacted Texas Toast and got the answer!!!! Large croutons are 2 grams per crouton and small croutons are 0.5 grams per crouton. Next to the serving size on all our croutons is the weight in grams for one serving of croutons, 7 grams. Depending on the size of croutons being used you can have 4 croutons if you are using all large size, or 14 of the smaller-sized croutons in a serving.
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i struggle with eating out and trying to track my food. I do try to order things like grilled chicken or fish with no sauce, but hard to determine the size or weight of these items. I usually guess what I think it is and multiply by 1.5 for a 'safety margin' but not sure that is the right or effective way. Anyone have any tips?? my hubby likes to eat out once a week or so, and sometimes we travel.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Eating out will always be a guestimate.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    There is a big difference in croutons. No one would ever buy a bag of the kind of croutons one would get in a nice French restaurant. I've seen a pound of butter disappear on a griddle into only enough croutons to make six Caesar salads. Translate 500 calories per salad.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Dang. No more croutons for me. :/
    Eh that's okay, didn't need 'em anyways. :)
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Weigh them.
    Alternatively, When I make estimates, I try to estimate on the high side. So 1 = 1 serving.

Here’s another option: once your croutons are gone (I don’t like wasting food), then done buy/make them again and instead sprinkle pumpkins seeds, sunflower seed, hemp or your favourite nuts/seeds onto your salad. Higher calories, but IMO more flavour and nutritional value.

Good luck
  • truGAINS
    truGAINS Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Will a few croutons really throw off your calories?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,972 Member
    Options
    truGAINS wrote: »

Depends on what you mean by a few, and whether being lackadaisical about logging croutons is part of a larger pattern. How many times a day is someone shrugging off "a few X"?

A half ounce/14 g. of croutons will likely be 50 to 60 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can you weigh them?

Exactly.^

The gram weight of 2 tablespoons is also listed on the package. This is a prime example of something that should be weighed.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If it's just a few croutons and you have the wiggle room for 50-100 extra calories per day, no. But if you get in the habit of not logging anything for which "a few" won't make a difference, then you often wind up with a significant amount of unlogged calories and then you're wondering why your weight isn't behaving as expected.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

It depends. If you used a whole bag you'd be adding 600 calories, whether it's over the course of 1 day, 3 or 7, would make a difference in speed of weight loss. Myself, I don't worry much about it but haven't been logging closely like I used to. :(
  • sketchdog
    sketchdog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    7pljhujmjnon.jpeg
    4 Full Circle Caesar croutons = 7g = 2tbsp
    Indeed whoever thought TBSP was a good idea to portion croutons by should be diced up and tossed in a salad!
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    zombie thread!

lol, This is the epitome of a Zombie thread. Guess an important subject like portion size of croutons will always keep coming back. My count has it at 8 resurrections so far:

February 2013 (thread started)
    January 2014
    January 2015
    May 2016
    December 2017
    December 2018
    February 2020
    July 2021
    September 2023

I don't even eat croutons, but a morbid sense of curiosity forced me to open this thread to see how it is possible a subject like croutons was able to elicit 53 (now 54) replies. I still don't know - just happy to do my part in keeping it rolling.