... And I got pregnant!!!

Options
Hello everyone!

It's been while since I've logged . I've travelling all summer and just back home. Been keeping up with my habits but I know I havn't calucated my calories prefectly. Buuut I have still been losing - so it's been going in the right direction. Little over my half way point .... and I find out I'm pregnant! Happy and all ... but I don't want to undo all the work I've done. So now I need to re-evaluate how I'm doing to do this. Any help on estimate my caloric intake. I would like to keep losing weight, but I guess following the natural order of things I will gain. BTW I'm now 5'7 200lbs (half way to my goal) I was doing a HIIT workout before but according to my doc I need to down it a couple levels. Any support, info or help would be helpful to me!!! Thank you everyone!

Replies

• ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Maybe the change in your body, combined with your new lifestyle will increase your weight loss... you figure, a baby with all of the fixings is probably only around 20... and you will lose 6-8 of that in just a few minutes of some light pushing :)

Congrats and have fun!!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    congrats! you will probably lose in the beginning and then gain some back in the end.. but I wouldn't think you will be more than you are now when you deliver.
  • WinnieX
    Options
    Congrats!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thank you McDonl and Ackeebee!

I'm wondering in what range should - need to keep my calories so I keep on track? thank you everyone!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    Same happened to me several years ago when I initially lost 40lbs and then found out I was pregnant. Focus more on eating healthy during your pregnancy as opposed to losing weight. Eat the amount of calories recommended by your dr. but the the most important thing is to eat healthy calories. Alot of women take pregnancy as a free pass to eat anything and everything and that's how most gain too much weight. Eat healthfully and you'll be fine.. and so will the lil' one! Also, you should still be able to do most of the same workouts you're used to as well but run that by the dr. first as well.
  • RFrick
    RFrick Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Here's a link to a group of pregnant moms on this site.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332516-pregnancy-september-2011?page=7
  • mariaann7
    Options
    Congrats!

I just had my daughter in June and I'm trying to lose that weight and in my search trying to find a site, I found one called babyfit.com. It seemed pretty good, just seemed more geared to pregnancy and being fit than after delivery.

Hope this helps!
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    When I was pregnant, my doc said that I should be eating 300-400 calories more then normally. (NOT eat for 2 people)
    I think, you can stay on your maintanance +300-400 cal. As long as those calories are healthy and rich in nutrients, you are good!
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    A pregnancy is not an excuse to overeat. In fact, you should continue with your healthy diet, take the vitamins your doctor recommends, and get some exercise in. Core strengthening would be essential - it will help you avoid increased back pain. After 4 kids, I know that is is possible to get back to fighting weight.

As far as advice, give into cravings occasionally, ask your doctor how much of an increase in calories your truly need. (When I did this 25 years ago, my physician was very patronizing (but that was the times - he even called me "honey" and "little girl"). Stay hydrated. Overall try to find a happy place each day to congratulate yourself on all you are doing for yourself and your family.
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    Congrats on the baby and definitely talk to your doc about your weight and caloric needs. Generally women don't gain in the first trimester, some even lose if they have bad nausea. If you start out overweight, the recommendation is that you gain less weight. A lot of the weight gain will be blood, amniotic fluid, water retention, placenta and of course baby. So don't think of the weight gain as reversing your hard work. Because of the work you've done, you are probably in much better shape to be pregnant and will have a healthier pregnancy. Make sure you eat healthy an keep active. The more you look after yourself now, the easier it will be to get back in shape when baby is here. Congrats again and good luck!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Eat well & healthily :heart:

Sue :smile: x
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!!!

I was in the same boat as you pretty much. I lost about half my weight then found out (surprise) that I was pregnant. I mostly tried walking as exercise, but with morning sickness at the beginning and lots of fatigue, I had a hard time sticking even with that. I also didn't do that great of a job with food. I gained 40 pounds during my last pregnancy.

I have always heard that in the 1-2 trimesters, you need 200-300 more calories per day than normal. In the last trimester, I believe it's 500 calories. You might want to look that up just in case. I recommend just doing lower intensity workouts. Good luck!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    A pregnancy is not an excuse to overeat. In fact, you should continue with your healthy diet, take the vitamins your doctor recommends, and get some exercise in. Core strengthening would be essential - it will help you avoid increased back pain. After 4 kids, I know that is is possible to get back to fighting weight.

As far as advice, give into cravings occasionally, ask your doctor how much of an increase in calories your truly need. (When I did this 25 years ago, my physician was very patronizing (but that was the times - he even called me "honey" and "little girl"). Stay hydrated. Overall try to find a happy place each day to congratulate yourself on all you are doing for yourself and your family.

Agreed. You should only gain within the guidlines your OB/GYN provides for you. There is absolutely no reason to gain too much weight and generally most of it comes off after you have the baby. Remember the healthier you are, the better chance your baby has for a healthier start in life!
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congrats..that is so exciting!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    visit a dietitian about the extra calories you should consume.
  • heniko
    Options
    thank you everyone for the kind words, encouragement, support and info!!! wishing success to you all on your health journeys!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    For the first trimester, the general recommendation is to set your calories at maintenance. You can continue any exercise you were doing before as long as you feel up to it, but really listen to your body - this is not a time to break personal records! (lol). And you probably want to eat back most of your exercise calories.
    Many women lose a bit during the first trimester, due to morning sickness. Other women find a jump, due to the sudden increase in fluid retention. Don't freak out over either. After the first trimester, it's usually best to add an extra 300 calories a day.

If you are in the "healthy" weight range the recommendation is to gain 25-35 lbs total. In the "overweight" they generally say something around 15-25 (I started 20 lbs heavy and gain 16 as of my 37 week mark and doctor is very happy with it). "Obese" range will be less, and could even be just maintaining weight (since some of it is going to baby, placenta, fluid, etc, you're actually trimming up a bit)

Congratulations! Remember that you're growing another person, so that takes priority. Once baby is here, you can jump back into serious weight loss and exercise. But, yes, in the mean time, it doesn't mean you have to gain a whole lot or become a lazy lump or eat anything and everything. :laugh:
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Well Congrats!!!

I'm on the same boat. I was told to add 300 calories to support pregnancy but to start adding them on my second trimester. By the third trimester it increases to 450 cals and later 300-500 cals if you breastfeed. I still do HIIT but with some modifications. You're supposed to workout at a level that you can keep a conversation (huge difference I know) Go to Bodyrock.tv and type pregnancy. They have a few articles from a pregnancy expert that gave details on what to do and what not to do if you continue to do HIIT during pregnancy.
  • heniko
    Options
    thank Peep chic I ws doing Bodyrock before didn't realize I could do it!

Math not long for it seems, wishing you a healthy baby and labour!!!