Mattress

Hello Everyone, I am looking to buy a new mattress for my mom, she has had back issues recently, would anyone suggest a good mattress and a good place to get one?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I'm in my sixties and I have had a Sleep Comfort mattress for about 20 years. It's awesome. You can google for stores. They are even guaranteed.

As an older person I like the ability to change the firmness depending on how I'm feeling and I also really love how lightweight it is for easy sheet changes. It's super durable too.

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    The only mattress I bought was a Tempurpedic from a MattressFirm in 2013. The bed itself is great and has held up well for my wife and I. The Mrs. has scoliosis and dealt with back pain before we got married but the mattress has minimized those issues. However, Tempurpedic has more competition in the foam space than they used to, are expensive, and it's now pretty well accepted that mattress stores are generally a scam so I can't necessarily recommend that course of action.

I have heard really great things about Casper Mattresses, both anecdotally from a coworker and via trusted sources for online reviews. That's likely the direction I'll look first the next time I shop for a mattress. I don't ever see me going back to an innerspring after sleeping on memory foam.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Be mindful of Sleep Comfort, depending on your weight. My folks (obese and morbidly obese) got one and the motor stopped working within a couple years. Sleep Comfort refused to replace the motor on the basis of their weight causing the issue.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    After 20 years, I am finally preparing to say goodbye to my latex mattress, and not because it's worn out, but because I am moving and my new bedroom can't fit a Queen.

I bought an Avocado mattress. I have chemical sensitivity and their website copy could have been targeted directly to me. No offgassing! Etc. I can't wait to try it out.

https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Latex at FoamSweetFoam. 10 years.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    I really like natural latex mattresses, no chemicals, extremely comfortable. I bought mine online at https://www.flobeds.com/. It's a family run operation that's been around since the 1970's. The nice thing about their design is that it can be customized with two different layers of firmness. They also will swap out layers for different firmness at minimal charge ($75) for 5 years. Really easy to work with, highly recommend, although it is a higher price point than other more traditional mattresses.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    I have a number of back issues and love our Sleep Number bed.
    I can adjust the firmness easily and best of all, the bed is extremely light. That's a huge plus when you're changing sheets on a king sized bed and you have back issues! It's also easy to move as well.
    I'm fairly petite but my husband is a big guy and weighs close to 270. We haven't had any issues in the 8 years we've owned it.
    I'd give you the negatives but honestly, I can't think of one!
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I have had my latex mattress since 2007 and it is still in good shape. I find it very comfortable but they do have drawbacks. It is very heavy. It sleeps hotter than a conventional bed. Some people don’t like the fact that you sink into the mattress slightly.
  • checker4
    checker4 Posts: 5 Member
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone, I am looking to buy a new mattress for my mom, she has had back issues recently, would anyone suggest a good mattress and a good place to get one?

Bad to hear, I wish him for speedy recovery. Most of the people in their old age face these issues and we should buy quality accessories for them as they can't be easy on the mattresses or pillows that are good for us. Recently, I bought a mattress for my grand mother as she was facing severe back pain and one of the doctor advised to use best quality mattress and I purchased it from the JLH bedding. You should contact them immediately, here is the site link and if you need more assistance, I'll be happy to help.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited September 2022
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    After 20 years, I am finally preparing to say goodbye to my latex mattress, and not because it's worn out, but because I am moving and my new bedroom can't fit a Queen.

I bought an Avocado mattress. I have chemical sensitivity and their website copy could have been targeted directly to me. No offgassing! Etc. I can't wait to try it out.

https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/

Love this company. I got the hybrid:

https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/collections/mattresses/products/green-natural-organic-mattress

I had my own memory foam topper so did not get theirs.

In the summer, I put my wool/cotton comforter on top of the foam in an attempt to sleep cooler. (I'm perimenopausal, so the only thing that really helps is AC, but I think my comforter did make a bit of a difference.)

I tried Avocado and Coyuchi's wool toppers, but they didn't seem to be any better than my wool comforter, and were expensive, so I returned both of them. Also, I have chemical sensitivities and think I was reacting to something in the Coyuchi.

These wool toppers don't provide the comfort of memory foam toppers. For me, the only benefit would be insulating me from the foam. I would need both a foam topper for comfort and a wool topper. Good thing my fitted sheets have ridiculously large pockets!

It's cooler now and I was able to get my bedroom down to 62 degrees F last night. Can't wait for the 50s!
  • Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    I bought a Serta Icomforf last year. I got the medium, but it also comes in firm and plush. It's the only mattress we've been happy with for this long.

We live in the Dallas area, so we got ours at Nebraska Furniture Mart. They will ship too, and the frequently offer that if you buy a mattress you can get a free adjustable base and 2 free pillows. We did that, and having the adjustable base is a game changer for us!
  • bethhl
    bethhl Posts: 6 Member
    I also recommend the Sleep Number mattress. I've had it for 21 years . THe only issue I've ever had was with the base that I originally purchased. After a few years, it broke and was unusable. I contacted the company and they sent me a new one (upgraded) free of charge. Now I was close to 300 lbs when I first got it.

Now after 20 years I am having a problem with a slow leak on my side of the mattress, but I adjust the pressure and all is good. If it gets too annoying I simply move to the other side. When Im finally ready to replace this mattress, I will most likely get anther Sleep Number. My current mattress was a che3aper model that I got through one of the shopping c hannels. The next one will be directly from Sleep Number.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    people with back issues generally do better with a firmer mattress.

Unless they don't. With my Ehlers-Danlos I need a well supporting base with a soft topper. Anything that prevents me from turning during sleep (memory foam) leads to me waking up frequently as I get pain. A hard mattress causes more pain because the pressure on my joints increases.

I guess the most important thing is: Try in the shop! Doesn't mean they will work at home on a different bed, but might get some ideas.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Super weird that this thread was resurrected by someone whose 3 of 4 other posts were resurrecting zombie threads about waist trainers back in July.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    To be fair, if you use the default search function, it always brings up posts that are 10* years old. A newer user might not realize it.

I’m here more than I probably should be and only figured out the other day that there’s a way to change results to “most recent”.

I sincerely dislike the search function here. It’s very ineffective and inefficient.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Interesting thread, for a zombie!

My 2c: When my wife got breast cancer and went through surgery and chemo, we splurged on a Sealy dual-adjustable platform that can raise our heads and legs with independent controls for each sleeper. It works with almost any foam mattress (buying two twins); we chose Tempur-pedic. (Tempur-pedic had it's own adjustable platform, but it was much more expensive than Sealy.)

It has really lasted well and has improved sleep noticeably. I'm a swimmer, and it is a big advantage not to sleep on your side all the time, because it compresses your shoulder. Sleeping on your back is difficult on a flat surface, but raising your head and legs makes it comfortable. When you do want to sleep on your side, you flatten the bed.

Now, when sleeping on your side, it is a big advantage to "hug" a "body pillow" that elevates your upper arm and takes the weight of your upper leg, but that's a different story!