My sodium & fat daily intake are extremely high

Options
2»

Replies

• JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    There is an ongoing debate as to whether the general public has to worry about sodium or whether it's just certain sensitive individuals (like me) that need to worry about it.

What's your potassium intake like? The negatives of sodium are GROSSLY overstated. I would argue that many links between sodium and heart issues are correlation as opposed to causation i.e. many high in sodium foods are low in other important micronutrients (like potassium). Issues like high blood pressure which seems to follow sodium intake can be seriously blown out of proportion just from low potassium.

Some studies show that eating below 3g per day can actually be detrimental to heart health (as well as above 5g). In reality the most important factor is not sodium intake but ratio of potassium:sodium. At the very least it should be 1:1, but the more potassium the better. This can be supplemented using "Not Salt", a potassium based salt substitute. I'm not much for salty foods so I usually just eat a gram or so of potassium in this fashion alone daily, though I get some through potatoes, beans and bananas as well.

In regards to people saying they are "going over" a recommended dose, keep in mind if you are working out or doing any sort of cardio you should already be going over the recommended dose anyway. Supplement with potassium and then forget about it.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Amy’s brand has very good low sodium refried beans. And my husband likes their low sodium chili too.

If you like ramen, look for Happy Pho. Zero sodium. As easy to make as ramen. A single box makes two servings. It’s a lunchtime staple at our house. Add some kippers or anything else you like. Delicious.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @JeffMatchett suggests taking potassium supplements. This could certainly be done safely, but it is widely advised to be careful with potassium supplements.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-i-take-a-potassium-supplement
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @JeffMatchett suggests taking potassium supplements. This could certainly be done safely, but it is widely advised to be careful with potassium supplements.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-i-take-a-potassium-supplement

@Jthanmyfitnesspal I don't suggest taking potassium supplements. I suggest putting potassium salt in your food and eating more potassium foods like bananas, broccoli, beans and potatoes. Potassium supplements are dosed such that they're basically negligible because even small amounts of potassium can be unhealthy for people with pre-existing serious issues. They only contain 80-100mg of potassium when you need 3500-4700mg daily. So supplementation yes but actual potassium supplements - don't waste your money, they're useless.

But yes even with salt substitutes like potassium salt there are risks associated with people on certain medications mostly due to their already existing manipulation of potassium levels as well as for people with kidney issues as they regulate potassium. But for the average person without preexisting heart or kidney conditions potassium supplementation is a great way to increase overall health. The interesting note being that some blood pressure medications actually work by increasing levels of potassium in the blood.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Lucky for me I have no issues with high sodium. That would if you're Asian and love Asian cusine. Soy sauce is used in about everything along with MSG. And go figure, Asians have long lifespans. Personally I think I average about 4,000 mg a day of sodium. I drink enough water though and eat foods with potassium as well. Oh and my Gatorade helps too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm sensitive to salt so I eat very little of it. I mean I eat salad right out of the bag. I also can't stand animal fat so I eat very little animal based proteins; I prefer tofu, lentils, and beans ( I do lightly season these; and pretty much always marinate the tofu). I wasn't always this way but the more raw veggies and fruit I ate, the less I wanted to add anything to them.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The answer to the amount of salt and sugar in bread is to make your own, these days we cheat with a bread maker.