Sorry for TMI but anyone have trouble "going"?

Options
2»

Replies

• sandyw1482000
    Options
    Yeah chick,.... you are not the only one passing through that valley. I have recently started on here as well and have adjusted my diet, I do drink lots of water take in a lot of fiber, yet the washroom time has not been as regular. You are actually the second person that I have seen on the forum with that kind of concern. What has helped me is taking in Probiotics either via drinks or pills. They actually help... especially if you are getting any bloating due to the irregularity. Also, try prune juice if you can stand it or, if you truly need to go, which I believe you do, then opt for glycerin suppositories for adults. You can get them at the drug store and they are very gentle and stimulate' going' in a few minutes. I guess as time passes our bodies will adjust and find its balance again. Everything genuine takes time and we're on the right path I believe.
    All the best to you and good luck on your journey.
  • lrodriguez83
    Options
    Magnesium Citrate, you can find it at any store.
    I was going through the same thing, took a dose and it helped so much.
    Loads of water, high fiber diet and exercising all helps too!
  • simplyychaos
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys. The funny thing is; the last few days my fiber intake has actually been high, mostly with apples, carrots, lettuce, and celery. Also coffee and grapes (as one person mentioned)
    Guess I will be seeing the doc on Friday if the issue hasn't resolved itself.
    You have to balance fiber with water, otherwise fiber can have the opposite effect.

my daily water intake ranges between 7-9 cups per day. is that enough?
  • allenlisa
    Options
    Water and shakeology!! And keep up with those fresh fruits & veggies.
  • EMNorris
    Options
    Sometimes hot water with lemon (add a little sweetener) helps get things moving for me. I have IBS and have had issues with either going or not going. I take a stool softener every day and I am about ready to add the miralax back to the program. Tasteless, just mixes into whatever you drink and it helps keep you regular. I hope things start moving for you asap!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    munch on a half a box of quaker oatmeal square cereal with no milk, you will pooping your brains out. just kidding dont do that. last week i made that fiber mistake.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Good advice, water, increase fiber-(salad, fruit , vegatables), increased exercise, all these will help 'make you regular. Also over the counter dulcolax, or Colace will help. You can get that on your own, but it is used very frequently in healthcare.

Of course if you have increased pain, nausea, vomiting , temperature- yes go to the Doctor quick... If it's just a gas pain, use your own judgement. What does TMI stand for by the way? , LOL
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I actually have more bowel movements when I'm trying to lose weight, because I eat better foods. I generally get about 40 grams of fiber in a day from beans and vegetables and it keeps me regular. Really regular. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water. If you fiber intake is sufficient, you will also need fluids in your body to get stuff moving.

I would second checking with your doctor at this point. The combination of 4 days without a bowel movement and pain could signal a problem. There are things besides just plain constipation that could cause that and you don't want to mess with your insides.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys. The funny thing is; the last few days my fiber intake has actually been high, mostly with apples, carrots, lettuce, and celery. Also coffee and grapes (as one person mentioned)
    Guess I will be seeing the doc on Friday if the issue hasn't resolved itself.
    You have to balance fiber with water, otherwise fiber can have the opposite effect.

That sounds like it should be enough to balance out your fiber intake.
    I still say the doctor is your best bet. Just to be safe.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think we should start a "BOO HOO....I CAN'T POO" group! Seriously, I have the very same problem. I thought it would get easier once I upped my water intake, but nooo! I also get the pains, which worries me because Im sure it was constipation (and trying so hard to go) that caused my diverticulitis flare up. That was the worst pain I had ever been in and that includes giving birth to my youngest...an almost 11-1/2 lb baby! So I panic, a little bit inside, every time I feel twinge of pain in that area. I heard about taking Miralax, as well, so I just might go that route sometime soon.
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    Last winter I was having issues and ended up going to the dr. He basically gave me a stool softener, which you can purchase at any pharmacy, recommended I also include Miralax, and watch the amount of fiber I eat as well as the amount of water. Have you tried stool softeners or Miralax? Those are always worth a try over the next couple of days before heading to the dr.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Another thing that's helped me is adding in probiotics. My preferred form is either Kevita water or this other stuff I found at the store called Good Belly Juice. I drink about 4 ounces per day, and it's really worked.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Of course if you have increased pain, nausea, vomiting , temperature- yes go to the Doctor quick... If it's just a gas pain, use your own judgement. What does TMI stand for by the way? , LOL

TMI = Too Much Information :wink:

And the symptoms you listed can also be symptoms of Diverticulitis. A very painful, and serious, condition. :sad:
  • danewton
    danewton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Personal experience here - last year I noticed a 15-20 pound weight gain in about 1 week's time. Then I noticed my constipation problems a few months later. Doctor assumed I wasn't eating enough fiber and drinking enough water. I did weight watchers after 3rd child was born so I eat a high fiber (35-40 g/day), lowfat diet (my fiber is usually twice the amount of my fat intake. I also drink 8 - 12 glasses of water a day in addition to other liquids. Went to the doc - did chest xray and shrugged shoulders when it came back okay. Went to 2 other doctors - the 3rd doctor was the charm. I had every test under the sun that a person can get for the torso area. The last ones were a colonoscopy and an EGD (scoped the stomach). When you do go, are the stools normal in color and texture or has that changed? That is important to note! Because my stool had changed color and texture, the gastrointerologist wanted to do the EGD. The results: IBS (irritable bowel syndrome); hiatus hernia (caused the stool change); Barrett's esophagus disease which puts me at great risk for esophageal cancer. I eat healthy, exercise daily, don't smoke and don't drink.

Bottom line - go to the doctor. Keep going until they find out what's up!!!!
  • ChrisWag
    Options
    [/quote]

Technically you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water at MINIMUM :)

if your having issues drink more.

I have this problem often, I find 1 Phillips caplet and 1 softener do the trick :)
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    fs happens when I don't get a good fiber/water balance. I usually have a few days of drinking dieters tea to get back on track and then it's smooth sailing from there.
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    if its been 4 days i would recomend a doctor visit, and high fiber is important but you also need to drink more water the more fiber you eat cause if you eat more fiber and dont drink enough water your body will take water from other parts of the body to digest food and if you regularly dont drink enough water you will end up with not enough water to digest properly and not have enough to make the stool soft, and you en up with what i like to call the "dry sponge effect"

but really pooping is important and if you dont go in 4 days i recomend a doctor visit