Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you feel about an Alkaline diet?

Options
So I read that adding more alkaline-forming foods will help slow down the leech of calcium from your bones, helping maintain your bone health for years to come. Also, that it will help fight free-radical damage and inflammation while supporting healthy cellular regeneration. Is it worth the extra effort? Are you a believer?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I agree that eating somefoods probably does help with reducing osteoporosis - high calcium foods.
    There is a dietary component.

Alkaline foods - No, I dont think so.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    One of the big proponents of the alkaline diets is Gwyneth Paltrow of GOOP. If that isn't enough to turn you off of the diet, this should. She advocates drinking alkaline water every morning, but she also advocates squeezing fresh, organic lemon juice (an acid) into the alkaline water. Know what happens when you mix an acid and a base? You get a neutral result... thus eliminating any so called benefit from drinking what is now, expensive non-alkaline lemon flavored water.

Tells me everything I need to know. It's a woo diet being peddled by a woo proponent.

Also, the human body has various organs to maintain your pH balance on its own. Usually, when it can't regulate it on its own, that means there is a serious problem that you need medical intervention for, not a weird diet featuring alkaline water.

Sounds an awful lot like a panacea... and all of those are snake oil being peddled by charlatans.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    One of the big proponents of the alkaline diets is Gwyneth Paltrow of GOOP. If that isn't enough to turn you off of the diet, this should. She advocates drinking alkaline water every morning, but she also advocates squeezing fresh, organic lemon juice (an acid) into the alkaline water. Know what happens when you mix an acid and a base? You get a neutral result... thus eliminating any so called benefit from drinking what is now, expensive non-alkaline lemon flavored water.

I just love when Stephen Colbert satirizes Gwyneth Paltrow / GOOP!

(Beginning is a little NSFW.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg0HCStAYMA

I’ll just leave this here and walk away giggling to myself.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/01/gwyneth-paltrow-goop-vagina-candle-exploded-inferno-sparks
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm a big believer in people eating more fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc as these things provide a ton of awesome nutrition (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, etc) are consumed in pretty low quantities in what is often referred to as the SAD. I think it's definitely worth it to eat more of these things...but the notion of controlling your body's PH with food is a bunch of nonsense.

Regardless of what you eat, the human body maintains a PH balance within a very narrow range all on it's own and that can't be manipulated with food.

main-qimg-cc72aed2893a1fc83682c6a54ca92c96.webp

Yep!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    All in all it's just wasted money on some pseudoscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Total woo
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    Options
    The acidic environment in the stomach is not a friendly place for food regardless of it's acidic or alkaline properties. Everything that journey's from the stomach to the intestines will be alkaline anyway and why the body regulates it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Yes! The sentence "Gwyneth Paltrow is a believer in this" is all I need to hear to inform me that I DONT want to follow it.

Yes, the appeal to authority may be a fallacy, but I think the suspicion of quacks is pretty legit.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options

Yes! The sentence "Gwyneth Paltrow is a believer in this" is all I need to hear to inform me that I DONT want to follow it.

Yes, the appeal to authority may be a fallacy, but I think the suspicion of quacks is pretty legit.

One needs to be an actual authority for the appeal to authority fallacy to enter into this.

Which pretty much leaves Gwyneth Paltrow out of that particular logical fallacy.

Is there a “appeal to *newage” fallacy?

*rhymes with sewage.