Snacks to beat the 3pm slump ?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am new to mfp and totally inspired by some of the stories that i read here!

I have a question for any office workers out there. I usually start work around 8.30, lunch at 12 so around 3pm I'm hankering after a snack!

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend healthy afternoon snacks?

I've tried:
Dried fruit - but seem to have digestive problems and cramps
Nuts - same story
Yoghurt - doesn't give me that full feeling
Cereal bars - am trying to stay low GI and find these often bloat me.

Any suggestions? I eat fruit at breakfast time so looking for something different, but filling and healthy.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, whole grain slice of bread with lean turkey meat, cottage cheese, hard-boiled egg, can of tuna...
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I tend to have the same problem. I eat baby carrots. Low in calories but, there is a crunch so I feel satisfied.
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a 100-cal bag of popcorn, string cheese w/ a few triscuits, or hummus w/ pita chips!
  • ChrisWag
    Options
    My personal fav is baby carrots with 2tbsp peanut butter :)
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I eat the 100 calorie packs of dry roasted almonds every afternoon.
  • ghandrews
    ghandrews Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try half an avocado. The good fats will help you feel full.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I have some crunchy cereal in my desk (like Fiber One) when I need something crunchy and filling.
    I find that Chobani yogurt does give me that full feeling if I want a snack -- it's creamier than other yogurts, and has more protein, and yet it's still low fat and low cal. YUM.
  • marshalemar
    Options
    Fresh veggies... the 100 calorie snack packs of cookies or crackers....
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I tend to have the same problem. I eat baby carrots. Low in calories but, there is a crunch so I feel satisfied.

I do the same thing with greek yogurt veggie dip. Seriously, delicious.

I know you said you weren't keen on yogurt, but I get the Lite or Carbmaster types from Kroger, which have a bit more in each cup with few calories. Oh, or try the Greek yogurts, like Fage. There's just more there with plenty of protein. I also make sure to drink a glass of water with it, it helps keep me feel full.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes or something like a Snack a Jack? (Not sure where you are from and don't know if Snack a Jack is UK only or not).
    Seafood sticks.
    Reduced fat hummus and veg.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    hi

I have carrot sticks, or celery or melba toast (the small 12 cals a slice) with some low fat cottage cheese, about 100 cals and keeps me going until dinner time.

martyx
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Veggies or fruit. Sometimes if I'm REALLY hungry I go for a protein bar.
  • jesshall281
    Options
    i have brown rice cakes with sweet chilli cheese. for two cakes and cheese on each, its totals up to about 119 calories. I eat it religiously every 11AM and 3PM slump :)
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    100 cal pack of popcorn here too. I think the key is that it takes a while to eat so it makes you feel more satisfied.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Many times I will do a snacking kind of lunch that lets me graze for hours, making it seem like I am doing nothing but eating all afternoon. One example of a snacking lunch:

celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins
    hummus and vegetables (or whole grain crackers)
    hard boiled egg
    Mini Babybell cheese
    piece of fruit
    handful of nuts (if calories allow)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Tuna and crackers
    Apples and peanut butter
  • aanaya56
    Options
    Almonds, fruit, carrots...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Veggie sticks with hummus, or other bean dip. Or just veggie sticks. Do nut butters bother you too, or just nuts. Nut butters with fruit, veggies or wholemeal crackers is good if it's not a problem.
  • starrysky
    starrysky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    wow thanks so much everyone! some fantastic snacking ideas in here, I am completely inspired! :flowerforyou:

love the hummous idea, we have a fridge too here so no reason i cant bring in stuff on a monday and snack happily all week long.

HUGE THANK YOU! :smile: