Chronic kidney disease stage 3A

Options
I've been recently diagnosed Chronic kidney disease. I have to watch my sodium, potassium and phosphorus intake. Hoping the app and other who are using this app for same reasons. I need recipe ideas. I want to have fun. If I stress, it kills my joy😔

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you're going through that! I hope others with experience will reply, but I also hope your doctor has given you a referral to a registered dietitian, who might be able to both advise you and hook you up with sources for meal ideas and recipes. Wishing you health *and* joy!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I have a genetic kidney disease and did the dialysis thing when I was younger. Just celebrated half a lifetime with my kidney transplant this week. What's been easiest for me is to cook things I like a la carte. Pick a meat, 2 lower potassium veggies you love, and and a safe starch like rice or a roll. Watch your portions when it comes to meat and dairy. Those are your phosphorus bombs, as well as soft drinks. When choosing a sauce or seasoning, look for <250mg of sodium or whatever guideline your renal dietitian gives you. If they haven't referred you to a dietitian, fight for at least a few visits. It's a bit of a labyrinth to navigate.

For snacks, I did vitamin enriched candy because it's hard to get a lot of vitamin C with a potassium restriction. You can also play with making your own sauces with jams and preserves and different vinegars. Always check labels for hidden sodium, though. Fancy vinegar sometimes like to trick you.

I'm very sorry, but potatoes will be difficult without additional "leeching" to remove excess potassium, and chocolate will try to kill you.

Editing to add that many people happily live in stage 3 for their entire lives without progressing any further. Wishing you the best outcome!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    We love this stuff. It’s as easy and quick to prepare as a ramen. Not sure about the other stuff, but it’s great for my husbands low sodium needs.

https://www.staranisefoods.com/collections/frontpage/products/happy-pho-garlic-goodness-meal-kit-pack-of-6