Intermittent fasting and calorie restriction… effective?

Options
Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered, I am new and not sure how to navigate these boards.
I am looking to lose 50 pounds and have chosen intermittent fasting (16/8) and calorie restricting (1,600) as my method of choice. Is this an effective weight loss plan or is there something else I should be considering?
Thank you!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Is 1600 calories less than your TDEE? If so, it should be an effective weight loss plan if you can adhere to the 1600 calories. If intermittent fasting helps you adhere to the 1600, that's good. If not, you can ditch the IF part.
  • anyusernamewilldo89
    Options
    Is 1600 calories less than your TDEE? If so, it should be an effective weight loss plan if you can adhere to the 1600 calories. If intermittent fasting helps you adhere to the 1600, that's good. If not, you can ditch the IF part.
    What is TDEE? I just plugged in that I wanted to lose 1 lb a week in MFP and that is what it told me to do… sorry, newbie question I’m sure.

• anyusernamewilldo89
    Options
    I found a TDEE calculator that said my maintenance calories would be 2,012… I’m assuming that because 1,600 is less than that that I am ok?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE? I just plugged in that I wanted to lose 1 lb a week in MFP and that is what it told me to do… sorry, newbie question I’m sure.

Sorry. TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. All the energy (measured in kcal in this case) that you use in a day for everything from cellular repair to keeping your heart beating, digesting your food, walking around the house/office/etc., and doing workouts. If you use more energy than you take in from food and drink, your body has to get it from somewhere, which will be a mix of stored glucose, fat, and protein. Smaller calorie deficits (the amount by which your intake is below your expenditure) tend to favor less use of protein for energy, which is a good thing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I found a TDEE calculator that said my maintenance calories would be 2,012… I’m assuming that because 1,600 is less than that that I am ok?

Yes, so if your guesstimated TDEE is 2012, then 1600 would be close to a pound per week calorie deficit. Generally 3500 calories is considered to be equal to the amount needed to gain or lose a pound, so you would be at about 2900 calories in deficit. (412 X 7 days = 2884.)

Thing is - there are a lot of variables to that hard number.

Whether that is in fact your actual TDEE will have to be established by you over time. The online calculators are meant to get you in the general ballpark of your TDEE but they often are way off so you'll need to run the experiment we all had to run.

Your experiment will have variables too. How accurately you log your food (or control your intake) is one variable. Your daily regular activity is another. Your exercise and your intensity when you exercise is another. To some degree your food choices can affect results. Your sleep, stress level, hydration, sodium intake, hormones, travel, hot weather can also affect your weight in the short term.

Just run the experiment. Give it 4-6 weeks of logging food at that level then if your results don't match up, you can make changes. You need a good 4-6 weeks to get your baseline, so stick to 1600 for that amount of time before you change your calories again.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a good plan. All you need is the calorie deficit. I just started 14 hr IF. It does help me decrease calorie intake because I stop snacking after dinner. Good luck. You can always try it and adjust if you are losing fast or slow.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered, I am new and not sure how to navigate these boards.
    I am looking to lose 50 pounds and have chosen intermittent fasting (16/8) and calorie restricting (1,600) as my method of choice. Is this an effective weight loss plan or is there something else I should be considering?
    Thank you!

Intermittent fasting can be an effective method of calorie restriction...
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    That's what worked for me. The IF made the calorie deficit much easier to achieve (I don't like eating breakfast anyway) and has made maintenance completely sustainable. Good luck.
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The big benefit of “fasting” IMO is the ability to cut calories without having to count them…
  • J72FIT
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    The big benefit of “fasting” IMO is the ability to cut calories without having to count them…

I mean...I can absolutely eat more calories in a day than I need if I'm not careful and don't count them, just because I wait until 2 PM to do it doesn't make a difference...

My point is, people who IF generally fall into the category of someone who wants to eat less but does not want to track. Not all, but generally speaking...
  • crusherbrickman
    crusherbrickman Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did IF a few weeks ago as a way to shock my body past a plateau. Then I'm doing it again this week for the same reason. It seems to work. I lost about 3-4 in each of the weeks I did it after being stuck for a few weeks at the plateaus. If you are also tracking cals and are mindful, I've actually sometimes found it difficult to even get 1200 kcal eaten in the alloted time.
    As far as people just saying cal-in < cal-out...that is true I guess but they leave off a lot of stuff about HOW the body does the cal-out. They skip over talking about metabolic issues and how the body uses energy differently when fasting or limiting carbs, or exercising etc

Just went back and reread the initial question. O would suggest throwing some walking or something exercisy in the mix. I would bet you'd see the weight practically fall off.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This looks like a sensible plan, as long as you know what to expect. The only way to lose fat (other than liposuction) is to create a calorie deficit. This can be done in many ways. Pick a way that feels relatively easy for you. You chose IF. By reducing your feeding window, you can make it easier, in theory, to lose weight while feeling satisfied with the quantity and types of food you're eating. That's not a bad plan. If, however, you find it hard to adhere to a feeding window and get very hungry and lightheaded (beyond the first couple of adjustment weeks), then IF is probably not for you. Take it for a test drive for a couple of weeks and see.

Expect to lose a little less than a pound a week (average) if your activity stays the same and if you're counting your calories accurately. Some factors can affect weight on the scale, like starting a new exercise program or ramping up existing exercise, water retention caused by other factors like hormones, inflammation, salt intake...etc. You may see your weight go up sometimes. Don't let that discourage you. Look at your progress over a couple of months and you'll see these were just blips and what's important is your progress over time.

The easier you make it for yourself the longer you'll be able to keep this up. Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Basically your just not eating breakfast with 16/8. Your feeding window could be 12 noon to 8 in the evening for example. Easy peasy. Good luck.