Quinoa!

ehju0901
ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
I've recently rediscovered my appreciation for quinoa! I made a large meal with quinoa, ground chicken, chili powder, cumin, black beans, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, enchilada sauce, cheese and corn. I even added some greek yogurt by accident because I was trying to multi-task too much.

It's so filling and each serving (cup) is between 300-400 calories! I can't wait to make this recipe agaIn and tweak it to make it a little more veggie heavy and probably skip the cheese.

58v1liflkumk.png

Anyone else here a quinoa lover? What do you like to do with it?

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I have just finally decided to take the plunge with it after having it sat on my kitchen counter for months
    It's my breakfast food, my dinner food and sometime even lunch food - very easy to cook in no time
    Breakfast: quinoa with mixed fruit and cashew butter or sometimes add to it smoothies
    Dinner: quinoa with wild salmon, sauteed carrots and cabbage
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    It took me a few tries to figure out how to "cook" it so it had some flavor...now it's a staple for me!
  • socajam
    It took me a few tries to figure out how to "cook" it so it had some flavor...now it's a staple for me!

I just weight out 44 grams of quinoa in a small pot - washed, add enough water to cover the quinoa thoroughly and cook - turns out perfect every time

I add no salt or oil

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've loved Quinoa ever since my wife returned from a trip to Peru about 15 years ago and brought back several recipes. We do all kinds of different Peruvian quinoa salads and other Peruvian dishes, but often just cook it in chicken stock a serve as a side instead of something like rice.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Roast up veg - onion, courgette, aubergines, peppers (whatever you fancy really)
    Stir through quinoa.

Both the veg and the quinoa will happily sit in the fridge for several days, so I often make a batch of both on a Sunday and use it to make up salads for lunch through the week.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    I have just started adding cranberries to mine. It gives it a nice kick.
  • _Moonstone_
    _Moonstone_ Posts: 4 Member
    I have just started adding cranberries to mine. It gives it a nice kick.

I do this too. Delicious
  • slappy01uk
    slappy01uk Posts: 12 Member
    This is my go to quinoa meal to take to work for lunch quinoa-shrimp-paella
    I keep it in the fridge and take a portion to work each day. Delicious hot or cold.
  • socajam
    I just cooked a medium size pot of plain quinoa to keep in the fridge for my breakfast use - in my green smoothies or milk based smoothies.
    It's a lot better than adding cereal because it does not raise my blood sugar levels