Diabetes and My fitness pal

Options
Hello everyone. I've used my fitness for years to go back and forth with weight loss and have lost about 30 lb over the years. I have 20 more to go but recently was diagnosed with diabetes. I am not on medication Because My blood sugar count Is not real high And I swim 3 times a week and so far have been able to control it. I only need to test My levels twice a week. I do not want to get to the point of needing medication and I want to keep losing. What I'm wondering is: on this site is there any kind of program to help with diabetics? Sometimes I'm not always sure what I can eat And if I'm overdoing my carbs. I have a book actually several of them To try to look things up but I guess I'm just looking for An easier way. Is there any way to set carbohydrates to only show net carbs? Thank you for any suggestions you might have. Patty

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Hi Patty :) MFP isn't set up to provide programs for medical issues, unfortunately. My best advice is to use MFP to track your calories using an eating plan supplied by your doctor or a registered dietitian.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Yep. What mph323 said.

However, there’s a T2D group here that’s getting more active.

I would suggest - if you can afford the extra test strips - to test your BG more frequently at first. There’s a neat trick you can do to see which things really hit your BG hard.

Eat something. Rice, for example. Test before and two hours after you eat it. If your glucose remans elevated? Then you know that food isn’t good for your body.

I’ll try and find a link for you. But this trick really helps dial in some details for your diet.