Doing this—again

I have been doing pretty well with my diet the past few months, but had a rough last week. I just signed up for a gym, and I’m an extreme beginner when it comes to that. Just checking in, introducing myself, and looking for some accountability buddies and advice. By the time I get home from work, the gym is the last thing I want to do, and mornings are a hell no for me 🤣. I’m going to do this though!

Replies

• spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,866 Member
    I found that when I don’t work out in the morning, it simply doesn’t happen. I have equipment at home and I’ve had very good success with Beach Body programs which often use simple equipment and body weight training. If you can, try and get it done early, then it’s done and can get on with your day. Good luck!
  • Tiffanyjo89
    Tiffanyjo89 Posts: 8 Member
    Mornings are rough for me, I have to be at work super early. I do have a treadmill though, maybe that would help to get me rolling. I don’t see myself waking up early enough to head to the gym, then work. But home is an option. Thanks for the advice 🙂.
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,866 Member
    Absolutely! After I bought my home, the last thing I wanted to do after getting home from work was go back out to the gym so I completely understand. I’ve purchased Beach Body programs in the past but now they’ve moved to a on demand subscription model for their business which could be a convenient way for you to get a workout in after work. Les Mills does a similar subscription. If you can’t afford on demand, there’s tons of free workouts available on YouTube. Again, just a few ideas to help you with your success.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I'm also a first-thing-in-the-morning exerciser and honestly, it's great once you get used to it. At first the vibe was along the same lines as "eat a live toad in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day," like let me get this unpleasant thing over with right away, before my brain wakes up and realizes what I'm doing. Now, as I've gotten used to the routine and found things I like doing, it's more like, whatever else happens today I have accomplished this one thing. Sometimes the accomplishment is just ticking a box for the day, like brushing my teeth or whatever. Other times I hit a PR in something and feel good about myself all day long, LOL.

I'll +1 the suggestion to start by getting on the treadmill for a few minutes first thing in the morning and see how you feel after that. If your gym membership includes any free training sessions, you might do well to take them up on that if even just to get like a "The Gym 101" primer on what all the equipment is and what it's for/how to use it. They might even be able to give you a basic workout routine, or help you build one around your fitness goals. It is 100% OK to bring a list of exercises you want to do - I'm doing Strong Curves right now and I keep track of my progress there in my journal, which I carry around the gym with me. Some people keep their plans on their phones, in a spreadsheet/Notes app/purpose-built app for whatever program they're following.
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    @goal06082021 - just had to chime in that the first paragraph of your above response is awesome 😊💕
  • NeverFatAgain70
    NeverFatAgain70 Posts: 11 Member
    I have to get up early for work too, and a 4am workout is a no go for me as well. After work I don't wanna do anything either , but I force myself to... Sometimes 😂