Morbidly obese but have no appetite

Options
In early 2019 I was put on Amitriptyline for pain. In less than 6 mos I gained almost 50kg!I'm now 150kg. I took myself off the medication and started my weight loss journey. It was found I have hypothyroidism so started levothyroxine and what I thought was a healthy diet plus exercising at least 3x a week. Since joining MFP I found out that my average caloric intake was 800 calories a day and I felt full. The app told me to go up to 2120 calories a day!!! I have tweaked it so it's only 1500 but still can't eat that much with the healthy choices I make for food unless I supplement with fast food which I hate. I'm feeling really torn about how weight loss works.. I thought that by going into caloric deficit and regular exercise I would get back to normal but I haven't lost anything! Anyone else in this position or was and found a way to get through and actually lose weight??

Replies

• sheiladerksen
    sheiladerksen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been consciously watching my calories since Nov 2019, a small bowl (100ml)of plain porridge for breakfast, 100g salad with a bit of tuna or ham for lunch and 1/2 veg,1/4 protein and 1/4 carb for dinner on a small sized plate. No added salt, sugar or fake sugar. 1 coffee a day maybe and 2ltrs of plain water. I go medium paced water walking for at least an hour 3-6x a week. The app said I need 2120 cal a day PLUS another 500 if I exercise!! I do have hypothyroidism but have been taking meds for over a year now. The whole reason I went on this app is to see what I was doing wrong (after seeing 2 dietitians). It just said eat more and I find it's quite depressing because I don't want to eat more, I want to know why being in such a caloric deficit and exercising regularly isn't working!

I was hoping to find others with the same problem.....................
  • sheiladerksen
    Options
    Please don't eat a lot of fast food. Keep at it. You're likely eating a lot more calories than you think, especially if you're full. That's a very common thing for a newer person to do.

You've been at it around 10 days? That's not any time. Way too soon to see patterns. I can guarantee if you stick with moving more and eating less, you will lose weight.

I've been 'at it' for almost 2 years...
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    How frustrating! I’m sorry you’re experiencing this. Maybe try changing up the amount of different macros you get to see if that helps?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,378 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    Hypothyroid here! (medicated properly at the moment but haven’t always been)
    Also losing 50+ down with 60ish left to go.
    I also don’t eat enough. It’s a struggle.
    AND I am disabled so very sedentary.

It (expletive deleted) that you can’t see an endocrinologist. Keep pushing for that.
    And, if possible, have your GP test for TSH and free thyroid. I had to have both cytomel and synthroid to get my levels properly managed.

However, you are where you are…. Under eating does make things harder. I will echo the advice for denser caloric foods. If you can manage them without feeling off.

Otherwise? My go to is protein shakes. Chug ‘em down or mix with sparkling water and sip.

If you have a good blender you can make all kinds of shakes and smoothies. For some reason they seem a lot easier for me to tolerate, and you might find the same is true for you.
  • sheiladerksen
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I suspect you're eating more than you think you are. Two years on 800 kcals you'd certainly be losing weight and possibly keeling over. Or dead.

Not helpful and basically saying I'm a liar..... If you actually read my post, I was looking for people who have taken Amitriptyline and gained massive amounts of weight in a very short time, not be criticized, analyzed and shamed for what I supposedly am eating! I have been through 2 dietitians who have analyzed my diet, so who are you to diagnose me?! It's people like you who totally put me off sites like this.
  • sheiladerksen
    Options
    truly, without seeing your diary, we can not help. no one will judge you, i PROMISE. the odds of you truly eating 800 calories and NOT losing weight are SO statistically slim, it would be phenomenal.

let me put it this way. I am on a medication and when I started on it a couple of months ago, it took away my appetite for the first few weeks. I had to FORCE myself to eat. literally. I was getting in 800 calories on average. I was losing a pound a DAY. with no activity. That side effect eventually wore off, and my appetite came back, though not quite to what it used to be (which isnt a bad thing lol) but that is what happens when a person is eating only 800 calories a day.

So, open up that diary. we might see logging issues you do not. we wont judge for what you are eating, We will try to educate you on the proper way to log or find correct diary entries so that you are logging correctly, if that is the issue.

I would also (if you have not) have your doc do a full blood work up. And if after letting us see your diary, and your doc doing a full blood work up, if there are STILL issues, and your doctor is not listening to you and believing that there is a problem (and not giving valid reasons why they feel there may not be), dont be afraid to find a NEW doctor. Your are your largest healthcare proponent!

I'm new to all this so don't even know how to 'open up my diary'. My food is fine, I'm wanting to find people who have taken Amitriptyline, gained 50kg in less than 6 months and can't lose it!!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Open up diary and that will help us help you. Are you using a food scale?