A Dietitian Who Wants to Hear from YOU (Food and Mental Health)

Options
Hello all! I am a registered dietitian who is looking for some input. I love the world of nutrition as it relates to mental health and really feel called to help people in this area. What are some questions you have regarding nutrition and mental health? What would be most helpful for you? What would you want a dietitian to provide (videos, tips, instagram posts, etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• PopGoesTheCoyote
    PopGoesTheCoyote Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What kind of mental health are you planning to address? The general public's or specific problems such as depression or schizophrenia?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Is there anything universal that can be said about nutrition and mental health? While I feel better when I eat a certain way (and get good sleep and lots of exercise), many others here have remarked on how their ways of eating, which are different from mine, have helped their mental health.

I'll pass on the IG (and tiktok, which you didn't mention, but I know is a thing.) I see that as having the potential to provide far more benefit to the provider as a marketing tool than to the recipient.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Could you post some peer reviewed studies that prove a causal link between diet and mental health, other than those related to malnutrition and allergy?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Could you post some peer reviewed studies that prove a causal link between diet and mental health, other than those related to malnutrition and allergy?

I realize your comment was intended for OP, but I’m adding it just cuz I think it’s interesting
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6005194/
    It doesn’t address causal links between mental health and neurotransmitters, nor causal links between diet and microbiota, but it does address modulation of neurotransmitters by gut bacteria. Many studies conclude “needs more study” (how investigators stay in business), so not definitive but interesting nonetheless.
  • eatmadesimple
    eatmadesimple Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is great input- I was thinking about focusing on anxiety and depression but was curious about what else people wanted to know. Mental health is such a vast field. I don't claim to be able to cure anything related to mental health with nutrition, but there certainly appear to be some links between how we feel and what we eat and I just want to help people feel their best.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be post a link to a study or reputable article - for people's information and discussion.

I would do so in a separate thread titled "effect of diet on mental health " or whatever the study/article is about.

Something specific rather than a vague 'any questions' starting point.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I've checked out this book so many times from the library! I'm not sure how it's reviewed by medical professionals, but would recommend it for anyone interested in how diet can affect mentality and mood.
    td4j66hzewhu.png
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Depending where you work you may not have a lot of options on your recommendations. I saw an RD for type 2 diabetes and she could not recommend any particular diet, just the ADA my plate. My friend with depression swears by keto. I have a type of schizophrenia. I am in a ketogenic diet and my diabetes meds have reduced, but psych are the same. Have you talked with any psychiatrists about diet and mental health? I would like some research information on how diet helps mental health and what kind of diet.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Fascinating topic. I know that depression has an impact on eating (either too much or too little) but I don’t know whether the converse is true. Seems like it would make sense.

Eating Disorders have a huge mental Heath component.

I know that for me, losing weight was mostly a mental exercise (which was a surprise for me).

I think there is a definite mind/body connection and I would love to hear more!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in the gut-brain connection. Working with kids with diagnoses like autism, I have long heard about the theory that certain foods (like gluten and casein) can trigger an increase in symptoms. For a long time it seems most in the mainstream thought it was woo, but there is now a lot of evidence of the whole gut brain connection. It may not necessarily be gluten and casein, but may be more individual.

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'd love more info on the brain/gut connection.
  • WifeDeputy
    WifeDeputy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "I know that for me, losing weight was mostly a mental exercise (which was a surprise for me)."
    YES!
    I have no mental health issues but working from home during COVID, I gained 50 pounds. I became depressed and didn't want to do anything. It took gaining another 20 pounds before I saw the terrible loop I was in and decided to change my eating habits and join a gym. Everyday, I have to talk myself into eating properly and go to the gym (no matter the weather or how tired I am). Once I set my mind on it, I'm fine and don't really struggle with wanting to snack or whatever. But everyday... it's mental. Or maybe I am LOL

• ReiterMomof5
    ReiterMomof5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can I be a case study for you? I would love to know more about connections between food and emotions. If I know that sugar is going to make me tired/cranky/depressed, then that's more reason to avoid it.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    From my anecdotal experience I would suggest that weight gain is more likely a symptom of mental illness than the other way around.

When I went through a serious bought of anxiety my weight went up. I had very low self esteem and I punished myself by not looking after myself and eating crap food that didn't even bring me joy. I stress ate. I stopped exercising.

When I got help for my mental health, these behaviours went. When my head space was better I was able to stop my weight gain and now I'm starting to lose again.

That's just me, but I know others who have experienced similar things. I am a strong believer in treating the mental health first, then dealing with physical issues afterwards
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    How do you address anorexia?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    From my anecdotal experience I would suggest that weight gain is more likely a symptom of mental illness than the other way around.

When I went through a serious bought of anxiety my weight went up. I had very low self esteem and I punished myself by not looking after myself and eating crap food that didn't even bring me joy. I stress ate. I stopped exercising.

When I got help for my mental health, these behaviours went. When my head space was better I was able to stop my weight gain and now I'm starting to lose again.

That's just me, but I know others who have experienced similar things. I am a strong believer in treating the mental health first, then dealing with physical issues afterwards

I agree with this in the sense that yes, mental health issues are sometimes the root cause of weight issues, but I also believe that there are many reasons not related to mental health that cause people to over-eat. I see a lot of comments that imply or state that obesity is always a mental health issue (this isn't how I read your comment, you were speaking to your own experience), and once that root cause is resolved weight loss will follow. I see social and financial issues as equally responsible for obesity, and in those cases social and financial solutions need to be applied in order to alleviate the problem.