advice please

Options
Hey so I realise this is generally the opposite to most peoples planned diets but I've been looking at my sodium levels on here and there alot under the recommended. I have problems with dizziness and feinting due to low sodium levels (seen on blood tests) but I can't stand salt never add it to cooking etc i was wondering if anyone knew any foods that were naturally higher in sodium and probably potassium as I think I might be low in that too. Thanks mel

Replies

• TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    soup, seafood, sauce, pizza
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    potassium - bananas
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    if you're low in potassium, eat bananas-- and go to your health food store and get a supplement.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Pickles. But if you had blood work the Doctor should have told you what to do to raise they the healthy way. If not I would find another Doctor.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a great source of Potassium (400 mg)
    Beets and Carrots are "high" in sodium (106 mg and 88mg)

Gatorade type drinks will have sodium and potassium.
  • tsbrown09
    Options
    Pickles are super high in sodium and are said to reduce sugar cravings!
  • Drowndjellyfish
    Options
    I know bananas are the typical but One small potato is 700 milligrams of potassium...
  • TLCfit
    Options
    Kiwi is also a great source of potassium -- one kiwi fruit (without the skin) has 8% RDA of Potassium ... and 141% RDA of Vitamin C ... won't help with the sodium though.

Soy sauce has a pretty high sodium content -- if you like Asian flavors, maybe that would help ... also, some hard cheeses are higher in sodium ... one way to look for sodium-rich foods is to look at low-sodium "help" pages and eat what they say to avoid ;)
  • melholden10
    Options
    Thanks for the advice doctor just said to increase my sports drink intake when I run which I have done will try eating more bananas and carrots :)