Your average macronutrient distribution?

Options
Mellouk89
Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
edited August 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm just doing a quick survey on what is the average macronutrient ratio of most users here. It seems that everyday, without even trying, I eat 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein.

What is your average macronutrient distribution and do make any efforts to reach certain macro ratio?

Replies

• _xsrs_84
    _xsrs_84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    45% carbs, 30% fat, 25% protein. 2400 calories (eating in a surplus since hypertrophy is my goal). I normally need 1-2 protein shakes and a protein bar per day to hit my protein goal, but I’m vegan. If I make the effort to hit the protein, the other two tend to fall into place on their own.
  • Mellouk89
    Options
    I also take protein prowder and I eat meat. Hitting 1g per lbs of body weight is not that easy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Looks like carbs almost always around 47%, fats 30-35%, protein mostly 20-25%. My exercise calories are very variable, from 0 to 800+, so anything from 0% to over a third of a day's TDEE. In that context, percents are a really, really unhelpful way to look at macros, IMO.

My targets are 100g protein minimum (usually exceed), 50g fat minimum (usually exceed, but it's the one that's iffy), don't care about carbs one way or another, and I do have some alcohol sometimes. I'm vegetarian, don't find protein powder, protein bars, faux meats tasty or satiating, so I don't eat them. (I don't think there's anything wrong with them in theory.)

Those macro goals are for 125 pounds bodyweight, probably 90-95 pounds LBM, maintaining weight, quite active but not devotedly strength training . . . but I've never had a reliable LBM/BF% test.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    2400 cals 180g protein, 240 carbs, 80 fat.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    It looks like I'm close to 44% carbs, 33% fat, 23% protien
  • Mellouk89
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Looks like carbs almost always around 47%, fats 30-35%, protein mostly 20-25%. My exercise calories are very variable, from 0 to 800+, so anything from 0% to over a third of a day's TDEE. In that context, percents are a really, really unhelpful way to look at macros, IMO.

My targets are 100g protein minimum (usually exceed), 50g fat minimum (usually exceed, but it's the one that's iffy), don't care about carbs one way or another, and I do have some alcohol sometimes. I'm vegetarian, don't find protein powder, protein bars, faux meats tasty or satiating, so I don't eat them. (I don't think there's anything wrong with them in theory.)

Those macro goals are for 125 pounds bodyweight, probably 90-95 pounds LBM, maintaining weight, quite active but not devotedly strength training . . . but I've never had a reliable LBM/BF% test.

So almost 1g per lbs of body weight. I find that it's hard to achieve on most days, even as an individual who eats a lot of meat. And from what i've gathered from most people around me, eating that much protein is really a pain in the butt :D .

I would much prefer to eat mostly carbs and fat.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

So almost 1g per lbs of body weight. I find that it's hard to achieve on most days, even as an individual who eats a lot of meat. And from what i've gathered from most people around me, eating that much protein is really a pain in the butt :D .

I would much prefer to eat mostly carbs and fat.
    I'm aiming more at 1g protein per pound LBM, just rounded up to a nice even number. I don't find it hard as a vegetarian, at least not in maintenance, after having tweaked my eating patterns during loss. I'm ovo-lacto veg, pretty high dairy but not many eggs, though I think I could do it fully plant based (I'd have to eat an annoying-ish to me amount of soy foods, probably).

I don't disbelieve it, but am always surprised to hear omnivores say they find 1g per pound protein hard, with meat/fish as an option. It helps that I have a higher than average calorie need than many my size (even pre-exercise), I'm sure, but even so . . . .

I wouldn't say this is my natural eating pattern, in the sense of being automatic initially, but it's an easy and happy pattern, after tweaking eating gradually to reach it.
  • Mellouk89
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Yes that's because I don't eat lean meats or low fat dairy. As far as animal protein I drink whole organic milk, I eat medium ground beef, whole eggs, processed red meat and chicken on occasion.

I was never a big meat eater, but I started weight training again and I eat more protein to increase my performance mostly. If I wasn't weight training or anything I would go full blown IIFYM.

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i aim for 25% protein, 35% fat and 40% carbs. If i go over ,it's usually with my fats ,carbs i mostly stay under 40% and protein is hit and miss. I eat meat about twice a month, red meat even less, so i try with eggs,fish and dairy to reach my goals.And protein bars.Usually a bar/day .
  • chrisalexander851
    chrisalexander851 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    50% Protein, 30% Fat, 20% Carbohydrates
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    These things have to be goal dependent: protein is the main target macro for physical conditioning at 170g, and I set 80g fat with carbs at 170g as the most flexible element. (About 33pc each, I'm not fanatical about breakdown, but have been pretty consistent diarizing for a couple of months and find it interesting.) Snacks are protein heavy fish, cheese or one or two scoops of whey usually in shakes or low fat yogurt with berries / fruit. (I lost most of my overweight two years ago and only started this up to coordinate eating with increased exercise.)
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Had not really checked. Average daily over past week: 38% carbs. 34% Fats, 28% protein.
  • artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am like you: 50% carb, 20% protein, 30% fat. It works for me, and I do not feel deprived. Higher carbs allows me to get plenty of fiber from fresh fruit, veg, and whole grains. I don't have to resort to processed protein bars or powders. If I workout, it is mostly aerobic or running/elliptical type cardio, so higher carbs are what was recommended for my type exercise. I don't do weight training, so it may make a difference what your exercise and body goals are.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    I'm just doing a quick survey on what is the average macronutrient ratio of most users here. It seems that everyday, without even trying, I eat 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein.

What is your average macronutrient distribution and do make any efforts to reach certain macro ratio?

Roughly like yours. Usually a bit more carbs.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    I don't set up my macros by percentages, but rather than by actual numbers, but doing the math, right now I'm on a cut and I'm at:
    35% protein
    45% carb
    20% fat
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I have it set to the default of 50C 30F 20P

When I was in weight loss mode it was more fat and less carb, but only because I tend to binge-eat wheat and sugary stuff so those are the first to go when I am losing weight.