Soft Tacos and Burritos

ljashley1952
ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
One of the mainstays in my diet are soft tacos or burritos. I find that corn tortillas taste better and they are lower in carbs, fats, and calories. Even two corn tortillas works out to lower calories than one full-size flour tortilla. In order to stay under 300 calories, I chop up more veggies and limit the diced chicken or ground beef to an ounce and about half an ounce of cheese. It seems to fool my senses to fill it up with lots of veggies and less meat and cheese. I get a nice crunch and I can take or leave the salsa.

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Sounds good!
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    One of the mainstays in my diet are soft tacos or burritos. I find that corn tortillas taste better and they are lower in carbs, fats, and calories. Even two corn tortillas works out to lower calories than one full-size flour tortilla. In order to stay under 300 calories, I chop up more veggies and limit the diced chicken or ground beef to an ounce and about half an ounce of cheese. It seems to fool my senses to fill it up with lots of veggies and less meat and cheese. I get a nice crunch and I can take or leave the salsa.

That is exactly what I do! I love the corn tortillas! They have a wonderful flavor. I also use just a small amount of meat and cheese, then heavy with the veggies and salsa. I just picked up some cauliflower tortillas and I can have two of them for around 130 calories. Haven't tried them yet, but they look good. I'm trying to cut carbs, so I want to love them.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Ooooo - I was just figuring out what I was going to make for dinner. Solved! <3
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Tacos sound great for dinner tonight and I will use the crunchy corn tortillas with ground turkey, can you tell me what veggies you add to it? Thanks enjoy :)
  • boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

That is exactly what I do! I love the corn tortillas! They have a wonderful flavor. I also use just a small amount of meat and cheese, then heavy with the veggies and salsa. I just picked up some cauliflower tortillas and I can have two of them for around 130 calories. Haven't tried them yet, but they look good. I'm trying to cut carbs, so I want to love them.

Just curious because it made me giggle - did you realize that the original post was made by you...5 years ago? :)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Lol...too funny. Made my day!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    Now that I have a tortilla press, I am making corn tortillas regularly. I used to flatten them between two cutting boards (line with non stick baking paper) which I would stand on.

A really easy dinner to throw together even making the tortillas from scratch if you use the food processor to do the kneading. Our fillings are any leftover meat stew, some tinned corn, pico de gallo made by blitzing some onion and tomato together in the food processor and tossed with salt and roughly chopped coriander, crumbled feta as a substitute for queso fresco, some chopped avocado or store bought quac. If there will be vegans at the table I will do cheat's re-fried beans. Fry an onion until soft, toss in a tin of beans and add a little ketchup for sweetness and a little water. Mash slightly with a fork or potato masher once beans are tender and season.
    nqm8iaqlw6hl.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Last picture included fillings of pan fried ground beef with cumin and coriander powder, leftover meatballs, leftover courgette, some shredded radicchio. This pic has main filling of leftover beef stew, along with my standards of pico de gallo, feta, chopped avocado. Tortillas were made with blue corn and we have coriander and parsley served separately rather than in the salsa because hubby is not a fan of coriander.
    xz8se98ot2o2.jpeg
  • acpgee
    You can make tostadas without any added oil in the microwave.
    https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6544-microwave-tostadas
    I used microwave tostadas as a base for a tuna ceviche starter. The tortillas were made from blue corn hasa marina.
    rm3k935cahcu.jpeg

• basimmers
    basimmers Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for the great ideas . I am going to do tacos .