New to MFP and learning! Have question.....

Options
Does the MFP phone app include the ability to scan bar codes of packaged foods to get nutritional info....and, if so, where do you find it on the app? I've looked and not seeing it! Thanks!

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do this on the iOS and Android apps.

From the Diary, tap Add Food. There should be a little barcode icon to the right of the search bar (on Android; the iOS app may be laid out differently, I don't know). IME you gotta mean it when you tap it - sometimes it doesn't register, but that might also be something to do with my phone or fingers, I don't know.

That will open the camera. Point it at a barcode and it will search the database without you having to type anything. It is not downloading any information from the package in your hand, so you do need to double-check that the label you're holding matches the entry that comes up, especially if you tend to buy generic/house brand items. You can add a food to the database if the barcode doesn't match anything in there already.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    For ANDROID - On the FOOD page, tap the 'ADD FOOD' option under one of your meals, in the upper right-hand corner will be a bar code button. Tap the bar code and it will access the camera on the phone to scan bar codes.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP :) Yes, you can scan barcodes on packages. Click on the ADD FOOD in any section of your diary. When the Select Items screen comes up you'll see a tiny (really tiny) bar code symbol to the right in the "search for food" box. Click on that and it will bring up a barcode scanner.*

Do make sure to check that the information is correct, the food items are user entered and not always accurate.

*I'm using an android phone and tablet. My best guess is that it's the same on an iPhone and tablet.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Oops, posted at the same time as @ccrdragon :#