Should I be eating 3 meals a day, or is skipping lunch ok?

Options
I find that my breakfast is higher calorie than lunch, which is almost nothing since I eat salads. I'm left in the end of the day with over 1k calories so my dinner is larger. I still feel like I limit myself for dinner and would like to include lunch calories for that meal, but I don't know what that does for my metabolism. Is 3 better than 2 for beginner weight loss?

Replies

• russellgraf
    russellgraf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "but I don't know what that does for my metabolism"
    Irrelevant.

"Is 3 better than 2 for beginner weight loss?"
    Which one helps YOU stick to your eating goals better?

Thanks, this makes sense
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    your body doesnt care (barring any issues such as diabetes or similar) so, whatever works best for you.

i typically dont eat breakfast, though sometimes i do. even when i do, its later in the morning, closer to lunch. just because i have something logged in one section of my diary doesnt necessarily mean thats when i ate it, you know?

my husband NEVER eats breakfast. occasionally on the weekends. if i offer to make something. and again, it will be later in the morning.

eat once a day. eat 10 times a day. its all about the calories.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    This site focusses on counting daily calories, and many people on the community pages will tell you to do whatever you want so long as the total is within plan at the end of the day. While the above is true, successful long-term calorie restriction is really a matter of apatite control. Your approach seems to work for you, it is not extreme in any way, and so there is no reason not to proceed with it.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    When/how often you eat -- for most people doesn't matter at all. You should eat when it works for your schedule and what helps you meet your calorie goal.

I often only eat 2 meals per day - with some snacks. Because that's what works. As long as you are satiated enough that you don't binge and that you can eat enough calories per meal that you don't eat too little.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, do whatever works best for you to maintain a calorie deficit.

I lose weight eating three small meals and up to three snacks. Others eat OMAD.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    One should eat when their body is hungry. What and how much you eat is more important than when. Having a small to moderate breakfast that includes some protein is important for energy throughout the day. You don't have to eat your first meal of the day in the morning. Have it at noon, if you want. A mid-day snack could be a smoothie or just a salad or yogurt. Do whatever works best for you. I like to have 800-1000 calories left for dinner and after because I tend to graze a little in the evenings.