IF question/discussion/advice

Options
I am currently eating 1200 or less calories during the work week and doing 30 minutes of cardio daily (M-Th). My weekday schedule is pretty regulated.

Weekends are a totally different story. Though I try to limit my portions and still log my calories... I eat what I can/when I can based on my sail practice/race schedule and what is available. There are always cocktails after a race. Yes, my caloric intake is terrible on the weekends and to enter them makes me feel bad but I don't cheat, I enter everything.

Also, average calories burned during practice/racing are 800-1200 depending on how long we are on the water and wind conditions.

I have been doing this for just two weeks and I have lost 6 pounds so far.

So my questions are;
1. Would this be considered (5/2) Intermittent fasting?
2. Are there any recommendations for improvement?

*weight loss goal is 60 pounds.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would consider this more like calorie banking than IF, as you're still eating during the week -- you're just eating less to help create a "buffer" for the weekends. If you LIKE eating this way and it's working for you, I don't necessarily see the need to change. The only potential concern is nutrients -- if a lot of your weekend calories are coming from cocktails and you're eating the minimum during the rest of the week, there's the potential that you're not getting everything you need (as it is challenging to meet nutritional needs on 1,200 calories a day).

Someone who is burning lots of calories through activity has even more of a need to ensure at least some of those calories are helping meet nutritional needs. To be clear, I'm not saying you aren't meeting your needs but it's a possibility to consider.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No it's the opposite of the 5:2 eating pattern which was designed to be 5 days at maintenance calories and 2 days with a big deficit (eating roughly one quarter of a person's maintenance level).

My recommendation would be not to eat under 1200 on your weekdays.
    What is this "cardio" during the week? If a reasonable intensity you really should be taking that burn into account and setting your calorie goal taking that into consideration as this site is intended to be used.

Whether your routine works for you (and being a very personalised routine is fine) will reveal itself as the weeks pass, 2 weeks isn't a lot of time to judge. 3lbs a week is too fast if it continues but some of that might be water related loss which is common when someone starts a diet.

PS - I wouldn't describe a high caloric intake but within your weekly goal as "terrible". It's not a helpful mindset to assign a moral judgement to a number. (My calorie goal was over 4,000 yesterday - it's just a number that is related to my nutrition needs.)
  • WifeDeputy
    WifeDeputy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am just getting started so I am doing 30 minutes on the elliptical during the week( burning about 205 calories). My plan is to slowly add 5 minutes each week and when I feel comfortable, start using the weight machines. I am not in a hurry. I agree the 3 pounds a week lost so far is water weight. I know that will change soon to 1-2 pounds a week. The 60# loss goal is what the doctor wants. I'm happy with stronger and healthier.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    IF is 16:8 or more of fasting per night doesnt like I stop eating around 5 and dont start eating till 9am. Then during the eating window I try to stick with keto or atleast low sugar foods. I started Jul 2nd and I am down 30lbs today. There are apps to help you keep track
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    IF is 16:8 or more of fasting per night doesnt like I stop eating around 5 and dont start eating till 9am. Then during the eating window I try to stick with keto or atleast low sugar foods. I started Jul 2nd and I am down 30lbs today. There are apps to help you keep track

Do you have a link to a fasting app?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    WifeDeputy wrote: »
    I am currently eating 1200 or less calories during the work week and doing 30 minutes of cardio daily (M-Th). My weekday schedule is pretty regulated.

Weekends are a totally different story. Though I try to limit my portions and still log my calories... I eat what I can/when I can based on my sail practice/race schedule and what is available. There are always cocktails after a race. Yes, my caloric intake is terrible on the weekends and to enter them makes me feel bad but I don't cheat, I enter everything.

Also, average calories burned during practice/racing are 800-1200 depending on how long we are on the water and wind conditions.

I have been doing this for just two weeks and I have lost 6 pounds so far.

So my questions are;
    1. Would this be considered (5/2) Intermittent fasting?
    2. Are there any recommendations for improvement?

*weight loss goal is 60 pounds.

You got good advice above from JaneJellyRoll and Sijomial, particularly. I can't improve on that.

One footnote, about the bolded. You don't need to be doing any particular named-diet thingie in order to be successful. In some social circles, it has a certain cachet to say "I'm doing the XYZ diet". If that's what your social circle is like, I'd suggest making up a cool name, or even hijacking the name of something close enough, for the social bonding side of it. IIFYM, maybe, or the calorie banking. Or "calorie banking IIFYM" - that sounds pretty cool, maybe?

Or just say "doing a diet I got from my consultant, but I'm not allowed to talk about it". The hoi polloi here on MFP would be happy to be your "consultant." 🤣

To be serious for just one moment: Proper calories (based on individual needs for loss/gain/maintain) are important. Good overall nutrition on average is important. To get there, personalization to your very own personal life, needs, preferences, strengths, limitations, practicalities . . . very important for success.

Just make up a name. 😉

Best wishes!