Hello peeps

Hi! Well I'm Katie, a non fit person wanting to be fit & healthy. Never touched a sport, the gym is something I'm afraid I'll pay for & never go & use it, so then I never get a membership. Anyways, I'm a weirdo artist spiritual person who wants to be a weirdo artist healthy fit spiritual person.
Anyone feel free to add me as a friend!

I currently am counting calories & going to fitness group classes (because gym scary and paid for classes force me to leave my swamp).
I tried low-carb for about a year & my thyroid literally stopped working right, then went paleo, then vegetarian, then got into a toxic relationship let loose & ate all the meats & fast foods with no limit for a few years, now I'm here trying to get back on the damn horse.

Replies

• spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,794 Member
    Hi Katie! I wish you all the success. Good community here. What kinds of activities do you like?
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Hey Katie!
    I hear you on the gym membership... I pay for it and then use it really well for a month... than not for 3 and then I get mad at myself for wasting money and do it really well again for a month... the viscous cycle...
  • spider_mark51959
    How about working out at home? @staylitlove Lots you can do with relatively simple equipment, and your own bodyweight. (push up/pull up bars/ suspension trainer/ adjustable dumbbells etc.) Once you own the gear, you'll have it forever. Just a thought. I found that after I bought a home, the last thing I wanted to do after work was go back out again, so I started buying equipment over the years.
  • staylitlove
    staylitlove Posts: 13 Member
    Hi Katie! I wish you all the success. Good community here. What kinds of activities do you like?

Hi! I enjoy hiking/walking and love yoga. Mindful, slower movements are my favorite ways to exercise. I do enjoy bodyweight & hand/kettlebell weights when I get to go at a slower pace. Just have to get over the inner block that refuses to exercise at home! Any tips?
  • staylitlove
    edited August 2021
    Jamie2663 wrote: »
    Hey Katie!
    I hear you on the gym membership... I pay for it and then use it really well for a month... than not for 3 and then I get mad at myself for wasting money and do it really well again for a month... the viscous cycle...

Haha yeah I am scared of that, thats why I pay out the wazoo for group fitness classes! Plus I wouldn't know what to do in a gym. I went to try to get a membership at a local one a few months back, and I was waiting for the owner to come in to process my app (she never did show up) and there are machines littered all over the place (including the lobby). Right next to the chair I was sitting were some machines, and a guy comes over and makes loud groaning/breathing noises, uses a machine for like max 2mins VERY FAST, and goes to another machine. I was so freaked out I had to leave, was so uncomfortable lol
  • spider_mark51959
    Not sure I have any tips other than I got no excuses not to work out with gear at home. When I first started on this site, I found that seeing what others were doing pushed me enough to get my butt downstairs and do something. I got introduced to strength training from a woman member. That changed the trajectory of my fitness routine.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member

Hi! I enjoy hiking/walking and love yoga. Mindful, slower movements are my favorite ways to exercise. I do enjoy bodyweight & hand/kettlebell weights when I get to go at a slower pace. Just have to get over the inner block that refuses to exercise at home! Any tips?

Even if you don't have a ton of equipment, having a dedicated space for working out is incredibly helpful, IMO. If you don't have the space to allocate like that maybe there's a way to put your home workout space into "workout mode". You mentioned yoga, perhaps having a good spot for your yoga mat, adjusting lights, lighting candles, or playing music to get you in the right mindset would be a good start and/or a way to clear that hurdle.
  • Jamesever
    Jamesever Posts: 51 Member
    Just have to get over the inner block that refuses to exercise at home! Any tips?

Here's what helped me a year ago when I was exercising indoors. I've got a YouTube channel playlist dedicated to solely to "Indoor Resources" (I link the first easy routine here) 😇👨🏾‍🎨

https://youtu.be/XvClcfVqwXA
  • staylitlove
    Jamesever wrote: »
    Just have to get over the inner block that refuses to exercise at home! Any tips?

Here's what helped me a year ago when I was exercising indoors. I've got a YouTube channel playlist dedicated to solely to "Indoor Resources" (I link the first easy routine here) 😇👨🏾‍🎨

https://youtu.be/XvClcfVqwXA
    Thanks!! :)

• TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    I use an app called FitOn. It has a variety of workouts including yoga and the workouts I've done are usually around 30 minutes. They also have a lot of meditation and relaxation sessions that I use right before bed to help with my sleep. Could be an option. Best of luck