Looking for diabetes friendly food

Options
I’ve recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Eating well has been easy at home but I’m going to be traveling soon and with school around the corner life is going to get busy soon. I’m looking for suggestions of diabetes friendly snack bars and frozen foods that I can prepare quickly.

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,291 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    Welcome to MFP.

There are two diabetics in my family now.
    My husband has been diabetic 35+ years and was a huge fan of instant ramen.
    But now he is on a restricted salt diet. So mean old wifey wouldn’t let him have ramen, with it’s astronomical sodium content.

This stuff, however, is actually pretty healthy.

Cooks exactly like ramen so it’s good for a very quick meal. As is, or add some kippers, extra veggies, whatever you like.

Walmart, Safeway, Amazon all carry it.
    Highly recommend.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Anise-Foods-Happy-Pho-Brown-Rice-Noodle-Soup-Mix-Garlic-Goodness-4-5-Oz/43441510

It’s not low carb. But that’s OK. Studies are showing low carb diets are potentially dangerous for people at risk for kidney or heart problems. Which includes diabetic people.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    Welcome to MFP.

But now he is on a restricted salt diet. So mean old wifey wouldn’t let him have ramen, with it’s astronomical sodium content.

Cooks exactly like ramen so it’s good for a very quick meal. As is, or add some kippers, extra veggies, whatever you like.

Highly recommend.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Anise-Foods-Happy-Pho-Brown-Rice-Noodle-Soup-Mix-Garlic-Goodness-4-5-Oz/43441510

It’s not low carb. But that’s OK. Studies are showing low carb diets are potentially dangerous for people at risk for kidney or heart problems. Which includes diabetic people.

High carb foods of this nature are bad for the majority of diabetics, such as myself if I ate this my blood sugar would be through the roof and I'm on meds and have loss 50 lbs. Please be careful with this advice. 🙏 🥦🥦🥦🥦🍗🍗🍗🍗🍗🍗🍗 Vegetables and protein better option small amou of fruit if you can have it and whole grains in small amounts like brown rice and oats etc and low fat dairy , I stay away from bars because there usually not good or work for my blood sugar, OP can make some from scratch that would be healthier.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Hello.
    Welcome to MFP.

Highly recommend.

High carb foods of this nature are bad for the majority of diabetics, such as myself if I ate this my blood sugar would be through the roof and I'm on meds and have loss 50 lbs. Please be careful with this advice. 🙏 🥦🥦🥦🥦🍗🍗🍗🍗🍗🍗🍗 Vegetables and protein better option small amou of fruit if you can have it and whole grains in small amounts like brown rice and oats etc and low fat dairy , I stay away from bars because there usually not good or work for my blood sugar, OP can make some from scratch that would be healthier.

Ummmm…. I am diabetic and so is my husband.
    This instant noodles soup doesn’t bother us. And the low sodium is perfect for my husband.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    Welcome to MFP.

Highly recommend.

This instant noodles soup doesn’t bother us. And the low sodium is perfect for my husband.

Then that's good for both of you and your husband, every diabetic ranges and what bothers them is different that's why some of us take more or less meds or none at all it's the same with food, oatmeal even bothers my blood sugar. So a diabetic should seriously watch the processed foods, on top of all foods. Take care enjoy.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    Welcome to MFP.

Highly recommend.

I found cauliflower linguini noodles at the healthfood store and they are delicious. I honestly can't tell much difference. We had alfredo, turkey sausage, and the cauli linguini. They are low carb and I didn't feel deprived, at all. Very satisfying!
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Hello.
    Welcome to MFP.

Highly recommend.

Then that's good for both of you and your husband, every diabetic ranges and what bothers them is different that's why some of us take more or less meds or none at all it's the same with food, oatmeal even bothers my blood sugar. So a diabetic should seriously watch the processed foods, on top of all foods. Take care enjoy.

Thanks for explaining diabetes to me, a diabetic.
    🤣
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    Options
    Exercise and weight loss is very effective. Also the ADA now endorses a lower carb diet as an effective measure. Personally a lifestyle change with less processed and sugary foods and exercise would help the most imo.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Low carb definitely works for some. I won’t deny that.

Do it if it helps.

Sugar, sure. That’s to be avoided.

And exercise as much as possible.
    I’m not sure why “processed foods” is a problem.
    It’s the ingredients in foods that you need to be careful with. Processed just means the food isn’t in the raw state.

Read labels. Avoid things with tons of sugars. Go low carb, or at least not massively high carb.

And always always always listen to your own body. Test foods. Measure your BS, eat the thing, and measure again in an hour or two. If your BG returns to baseline in that time, that food doesn’t spike you in a worrisome manner.

Rice does that to me. Dang it.
    Potatoes do it to my husband.

We can both eat gluten free pasta in moderation, with no problem.

Others will be different.

It’s key to figure out what works for your body.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Hopefully most understand that when someone says processed they don't mean " I just processed the carrot in my garden" but this is the internet.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Hopefully most understand that when someone says processed they don't mean " I just processed the carrot in my garden" but this is the internet.

So define “processed” so we know what you think we should avoid.
  • neanderthin
    Options

There are foods that have been picked, dirt, leaves and stems removed, that qualities as processed. The other end of the spectrum are foods that no longer represent the food found in nature and have a long list of other ingredients that generally have been manipulated for taste to make them desirable for consumption and/or demand.

You said you have to be careful of the ingredients in food, and at the same time you don't know why processed foods are a problem. Obviously your definition is different than mine and I'm perfecting fine with that.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

There are foods that have been picked, dirt, leaves and stems removed, that qualities as processed. The other end of the spectrum are foods that no longer represent the food found in nature and have a long list of other ingredients that generally have been manipulated for taste to make them desirable for consumption and/or demand.

You said you have to be careful of the ingredients in food, and at the same time you don't know why processed foods are a problem. Obviously your definition is different than mine and I'm perfecting fine with that.

So we agree.
    Read labels. Avoid problematic ingredients. Definitions of that will vary from person to person, but basically: trans fats, added sugars, high carbs for those who are counting carbs, and super high sodium levels.

I do know why people say to avoid processed foods.
    But OP is asking for snack bars, diabetic friendly frozen foods, and quick meals.
    That’s going to be right up against what many people think of when they say “processed foods”

Which gets us right back to reading the labels.

Also, OP? Many people enjoy a protein shake. Glucerna is decent. Premier protein also has a good reputation. There are others.

And if you want a quick breakfast that is healthy, you might want to try refrigerator oatmeal.

https://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Easy to prepare a week’s worth in a few minutes. Set it in the fridge, then grab and go in the morning.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    I keep some crackers and a few packs of Starkist brand “Tuna Creations” in the car for a quick lunch when I get delayed somewhere.
  • neanderthin
    Options

So we agree.
    Read labels. Avoid problematic ingredients. Definitions of that will vary from person to person, but basically: trans fats, added sugars, high carbs for those who are counting carbs, and super high sodium levels.

I do know why people say to avoid processed foods.
    But OP is asking for snack bars, diabetic friendly frozen foods, and quick meals.
    That’s going to be right up against what many people think of when they say “processed foods”

Which gets us right back to reading the labels.

Also, OP? Many people enjoy a protein shake. Glucerna is decent. Premier protein also has a good reputation. There are others.

And if you want a quick breakfast that is healthy, you might want to try refrigerator oatmeal.

https://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Easy to prepare a week’s worth in a few minutes. Set it in the fridge, then grab and go in the morning.

Yes we agree then. I believe when I said eat "less processed food" that generally gets interpreted as don't eat processed food. Cheers!
  • MrsG1994
    MrsG1994 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about beans? They are a great food for managing blood sugar.