Metabolism not affected by middle age!

Options

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Bad news it is downhill after 60, but great that metabolism does not slow earlier.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people over-estimate how much it takes to change the CO portion of things, when spread out over a long time (years, even) how that can influence weight gain -- or loss, depending. The same thing with calories IN, even.

A lot of this stuff is not the big dramatic changes people even recognize as important, multiplied over a long time. So when people do add taking the stairs - or start taking the elevator because their sleep is off or whatever - they sort of dismiss it as being anything.

but multiply that over 10 years of even a couple of trips up/down the stairs a day being there or not and. It's a thing. ESPECIALLY if that sleep deprivation (or knee pain, or a longer commute leaving you stuck in a car instead of that morning walk around the block, or whatever it may be) leads to a cascade of tiny changes. Also built up over 10 years and yeah, you're gonna see the reflection in your waistline.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Bad news it is downhill after 60, but great that metabolism does not slow earlier.

The good news again though is your sense of taste and smell decline so it's less rewarding to eat food. ...is that good news? Unsure, but it's certainly something that might make you more likely to eat less with age.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options

The good news again though is your sense of taste and smell decline so it's less rewarding to eat food. ...is that good news? Unsure, but it's certainly something that might make you more likely to eat less with age.

So what I hear you saying is that covid, with its smell-destroying proclivities, is nature's way of putting us all on a diet? :smile:
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've read this (or something similar) before. Metabolism just doesn't vary that much in most people. There are obviously a few outliers, but most of us are pretty much the same.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

So what I hear you saying is that covid, with its smell-destroying proclivities, is nature's way of putting us all on a diet? :smile:

Honestly, as someone who has no sense of smell (born like that) and is in contact with a lot of people who have lost their sense of smell: it can go both ways. Either lack of interest in food from not enjoying food anymore, or gaining weight because they just keep on eating in search of that satisfaction that eludes them.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I’m not entirely sure why someone disagreed with me posting a link to a scientific study - I didn’t write it! 🤣

Because they are an idiot...... the study is right on. Dr. Pontzer's book "Burn" went into this a while ago.
  • psychod787
    Options

No, covid should have been a wake up call to how sick our country is. I am waiting for the new data on obesity and the percentage of population. Bet its no longer 30-40%, probably closer to 50+ now....
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

No, covid should have been a wake up call to how sick our country is. I am waiting for the new data on obesity and the percentage of population. Bet its no longer 30-40%, probably closer to 50+ now....

Unfortunately probably true.

Worst thing the increased obesity and other comorbidities that go with it will make it harder for people to recover if they get Covid or the next virus.
  • psychod787
    edited August 2021
    Options

define downhill....... if someone has a rmr of 1800 calories, they would lose 13 calories a year. Not what I would say is "Downhill".
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

Unfortunately probably true.

Worst thing the increased obesity and other comorbidities that go with it will make it harder for people to recover if they get Covid or the next virus.

yep old man, but you can't tell some people anything......

[edited by MFP]
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    How are other people accessing the study? It is telling me that I have to become a member to see it.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    How are other people accessing the study? It is telling me that I have to become a member to see it.

Ditto. All I can view is the abstract.
  • psychod787
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It might not have anything to do with metabolism, but people do slow down with age. Some of it is just being busy with your life and not making time to work out regularly. Some people get arthritis and other things that make working out painful. Back injuries, asthma...whatever. While these are not all good excuses, it is reality. It is up to us to maintain our health: eat properly, exercise regularly. We can do it!
    Wear and tear on cartilage is usually from NOT having a physical fitness regimen. Instead of your muscles holding you up because of minimal activity, it ends up putting all load on the joints. And that intern helps to cause arthritis and other joint pain issues. Also, you get to CHOOSE the life you wish to lead. It's just a matter of what's a priority to you. For me physical fitness dominates so many things that others hold important (like socializing, jobs that are high paying, etc.). What I find funny is that people will pay any amount to not be in pain, but many times won't physically work on it FOR FREE with just some spare time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

While I do not doubt that movement declines with age, the Hadza of advanced age, still have very high movement rates, compared to westerners of the same demographic. So, while people do get some DJD as they age, high movement rates are important.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-01002-7
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »

Ditto. All I can view is the abstract.

Ahh sorry - I work for a university and logged in via work! It was widely reported in the media but obvs not the full study.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I think in popular culture (and often on here) metabolism is confused with TDEE.

Personal example:
    In my 30's my metabolism went up as I got heavier (fat!), my TDEE went down (injury, career, children....).
    In my 40's my metabolism stayed the same level (maintained weight, too heavy though). TDEE pretty static.
    In my 50's my metabolism went down (lost weight) but my TDEE went up (took up cycling, more "me time").
    In my 60's my metabolism seems to be the same, TDEE has gone up even more as I'm more active (retired allows me to be more active, higher exercise volume).

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head @sijomial. People often say metabolism when they actually mean TDEE - maybe we need a thread on the different phrases to help people? There’s so much rubbish out there about slowing metabolisms / thyroid issues / “nothing I can do” and it’s not fair on people who want to make a difference. (And before anyone jumps on me - yes I know thyroids etc can affect weight but the majority of people don’t have thyroid issues! And as someone who had endocrine cancer I have firsthand experience of the effects hormones have on physical and mental well-being, so I am in no way dissing anyone’s personal experience.)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put some of the blame on the medical profession here too. There seems to be a degree of acceptance that breaking down is a natural result of ageing and very little interest in restoring function.

A coworker was told by her orthopedic surgeon that it was a good thing she was only 47 because if she was over 50 she wouldn't get the knee repair surgery (and I don't remember now exactly what it was) she needed.

A friend's mum hobbled around on two broken knees for TEN YEARS before she was granted replacements.

Another coworker had bad hip pain for several years that got brushed off repeatedly, she was finally referred to a pain clinic to "manage" her pain. The doctor there ordered an MRI and discovered bone necrosis, she needed an emergency hip replacement.

I've got my own hip pain tale of medical woe.

Here at least the prevailing attitude seems to be "well you're old, live with it" without much recognition of the restrictions to activity that "living with it" carries, and the compounded deterioration.
  • psychod787
    edited August 2021
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I'm going to put some of the blame on the medical profession here too. There seems to be a degree of acceptance that breaking down is a natural result of ageing and very little interest in restoring function.

A coworker was told by her orthopedic surgeon that it was a good thing she was only 47 because if she was over 50 she wouldn't get the knee repair surgery (and I don't remember now exactly what it was) she needed.

A friend's mum hobbled around on two broken knees for TEN YEARS before she was granted replacements.

Another coworker had bad hip pain for several years that got brushed off repeatedly, she was finally referred to a pain clinic to "manage" her pain. The doctor there ordered an MRI and discovered bone necrosis, she needed an emergency hip replacement.

I've got my own hip pain tale of medical woe.

Here at least the prevailing attitude seems to be "well you're old, live with it" without much recognition of the restrictions to activity that "living with it" carries, and the compounded deterioration.

Not sure what your knowledge of "joint replacement" is, but those things have a lifespan. Sometimes, the providers are only able to replace it once. After that, when the joint wears out, you are S.O.L. Humans are like a truck. Like trucks, we have a load capacity. While you can drive a truck, that has a 2000lb capacity, with a load of 3000lbs, and it runs fine for a while. The struts, springs, and chaise, wear out much faster. Unlike trucks, we just don't have OEM parts laying around in a warehouse.

** edit ** Providers still have to take into account of the person's overall health, before they consent to do sx. While we live in a age when sx is safer, there is always a risk of injury or death when dealing with sx.