Macros and Calories, what should I be doing???

Options
Hi There!!!

Currently have been trying to eat a healthier diet by incorporating more fruits and vegetables into my diet, as well as ultimately focusing on increasing my Proteins!!! So far have for My Fitness Pal Macros listing Proteins as the highest percentage: 140 grams, Carbohydrates second: 123 grams, and Fats at 39 grams. Am not sure what the exact percentages are without closing this window...and then am eating about 1440 calories per day. Does this seem okay?? Or should I change anything??? Seeking advice because I am wanting to lose weight healthily, and also want to do things the right way ๐Ÿ˜€. Am currently not walking like I should but am lightly active at work and throughout the day...just add that information in...if anyone has any helpful advice that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    The fat seems a bit on the low side for an adult, and since this site is not for children, I'm going to assume you're an adult. Can't really make an assessment on anything else, those calories and protein levels are reasonable for some adults and not for others. Can you provide your stats (current weight, height, gender, goals)?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,930 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good start, for sure!

It's hard to evaluate your nutrition without knowing how tall you are, or what you think is a reasonable goal weight for you.

I think this is a good common-sense review of macro goals, in an MFP context, personally. (I'm not an expert, just an interested amateur.):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

In that context, if your healthy goal weight is 175 pounds or below, protein seems reasonable. It looks like you're female, so fats might be a little low at 39 depending on your size, unless you have a medical reason to restrict them. Carbs are more of a personal/individual thing, IMO, since they're not an "essential macronutrient" in the same sense as protein or fats. (Our bodies can't manufacture protein or fats out of other macronutrients, we need to consume some. Bodies can, in effect, manufacture carbs out of protein/fat. IMO that makes carb levels potentially more flexible, and they seem to have variable effects on appetite or satiation for different people.)

You don't need to hit macro goals perfectly every day: Close is fine, especially if over on some days, under on others, so it averages out over several days or a week to a reasonable amount. It's also fine, if you're not currently diagnosed medically with a deficiency, to gradually work at adjusting your eating to improve your macro, micro, or fruit/veggie intake, as you work on balancing nutrition with calorie level, satiation, tastiness, practicality, and other important aspects of eating.

Just my opinion, though. Wishing you success with your health goals!
  • StephReed1003
    StephReed1003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    calories

My height is 5 ft 2 inches, Wt about 155, and am 29 years old. Goal is to lose at most 30 lbs right now just to see how I look at that weight ๐Ÿ˜€.
  • StephReed1003
    StephReed1003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your advice and input!!! Much appreciated, definately can increase my fat intake, it was just a guess for me to start with my macros, not an expert here by any means, will take in this information, and wish you both well on your Journeys as well!!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,011 Member
    Options
    Hi There!!!

Currently have been trying to eat a healthier diet by incorporating more fruits and vegetables into my diet, as well as ultimately focusing on increasing my Proteins!!! So far have for My Fitness Pal Macros listing Proteins as the highest percentage: 140 grams, Carbohydrates second: 123 grams, and Fats at 39 grams. Am not sure what the exact percentages are without closing this window...and then am eating about 1440 calories per day. Does this seem okay?? Or should I change anything??? Seeking advice because I am wanting to lose weight healthily, and also want to do things the right way ๐Ÿ˜€. Am currently not walking like I should but am lightly active at work and throughout the day...just add that information in...if anyone has any helpful advice that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

I think the MFP default macros of 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat are a great place to start for someone who is active and earning calories from exercise and/or activity level.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

Someone less active might want to bump their protein up to 25 or 30%.

These days I see a lot of excessive protein recommendations. Here's a reasonable source for a target protein level:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/