How Do You Track Calories In Homemade Juices? (Ex Veggie/Green Juices?)

Hey Everyone!

Every morning I make a green juice containing the following ingredients, but I’m unsure what the best way to track this is. Any insights? It seems weird to track it as if I’m eating the whole food since juicing removes all the fiber? Let me know what you think!

1 Small Green Apple
1/2 Cucumber
1 bunch of Celery
1 Lemon
1 inch Ginger root
1 cup Spinach

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    you would create it as a recipe with the gram weight of each item and then the total grams of what you serve yourself

same as any other recipe you create
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hey Everyone!

Every morning I make a green juice containing the following ingredients, but I’m unsure what the best way to track this is. Any insights? It seems weird to track it as if I’m eating the whole food since juicing removes all the fiber? Let me know what you think!

1 Small Green Apple
    1/2 Cucumber
    1 bunch of Celery
    1 Lemon
    1 inch Ginger root
    1 cup Spinach

Are you juicing or making a smoothie. A smoothie doesn't remove the fiber. At any rate, you just create a recipe in the recipe builder. Most fiber is undigestible so it won't really change the calorie count.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Hey Everyone!

1 Small Green Apple
    1/2 Cucumber
    1 bunch of Celery
    1 Lemon
    1 inch Ginger root
    1 cup Spinach

I used to make this kind of juicing recipe, in a juicer that removed the fiber. I added carrots too. I used to get headaches and didn't feel full for long. YMMV.

Now I make smoothies in a food processor to keep the fiber, and also add protein powder and a small amount of fat source, and call it a meal.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Just create a recipe or log the ingredients like you normally would - worst case, you overestimate a little, which isn't the worst thing in the world. For indigestible fiber, you weren't going to be able to access those calories even if you just sat there pounding raw produce straight into your gob, so same difference if you juice it.
  • sandyleesee
    sandyleesee Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the answers everyone!

For clarification I’m using a juicer, not making a smoothie.

And thank you for the insight on the recipe builder, that totally solved my question. Turns out there are entries specifically for produce that’s been juiced which is awesome and really helpful! I track net carbs which was why I didn’t want the fiber added in if I wasn’t actually consuming it.