Balancing weight loss and heavy lifting for beginners

Options
Hi, experienced lifters! I'm new to lifting and was hoping you might share some of your hard-earned expertise with me. I have been digging around in old threads and see a lot of "I should have started lifting when I started losing weight" and "You should have started heavy lifting yesterday" posts. My questions all kind of relate to that, but if I missed another thread with answers, please point me towards it!

1. I'm a morbidly obese woman and 3 weeks into Stronglifts. It is still really easy so I'm concentrating on form, and I know it will get more difficult soon. Is there anything I can do (besides a calorie deficit) to maximize weight loss while doing Stronglifts? I don't have a ton of time to work out, so sometimes I feel like I should be jogging during the rests. Am I helping myself?

2. Is there anything I can do to maximize the magical newbie gains I keep reading about? I seem to be a woman who is genetically predisposed to building muscle more easily (or maybe I've just been good at eating a surplus or calories) and my chief goal right now in building/maintaining muscle is to keep my lean mass and BMR up as I lose.

3. Is there anything else I should keep in mind about significant weight loss while heavy lifting in terms of nutrition or anything else? Is there something you wish you'd known earlier in your weight loss/strength journey?

4. Do you have any recommendations about books (I love books) that would give me more information about good ways to reach my goals (lose weight, feel good, look better naked)? I've read Strong Curves and NROLFW, but I didn't find much information about losing weight while beginning a lifting program and how that might affect progress or nutrition goals.

Thank you so much for any advice (or links to useful threads I have missed) you might have!

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    1. A calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight at all, so no, there's nothing else you can do to make weight loss happen - if you're not maintaining a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight, regardless of whatever else you're doing or not doing, end of story. To your actual question, though, it is not necessary or indeed helpful to jog during rest periods - if you want to get some cardio in, do it after you're done lifting, or on non-lifting days.

2. I'm no expert, just a fellow obese woman who likes picking up heavy things and putting them back down again, but (1) if you're actively trying to lose, you are in all likelihood not making any muscular gains (how could you be? you're already eating at a deficit, what's your body going to build the muscle out of if it's already having to dip into its savings to pay the energy bills?) and (2) I think, especially for women, "noob gainz" come down more to us not actually knowing how strong we are, where our actual "baseline" is. I know I tend to err on the side of going way too light the first time I try a new exercise, or the first time doing something I haven't done for a long time, because I don't want to injure myself. Maybe you're deadlifting 135lbs by week 2 because you could always do that, and just never had a reason to try before you learned how to do it safely. I welcome anyone who does actually know anything about this to correct me, I'm always up for learning a new thing and I make absolutely no claims of expertise in physiology, exercise science, or weightlifting in general.

3. I'm focusing more on the weight loss piece than building strength right now; when I get closer to goal I'm going to dive into recomp. I'm incorporating strength training into my life now because (1) I like doing it and it makes me happy, (2) I'm 30 and have a family history of osteoporosis and arthritis, so I want to keep muh bones strong and healthy as long as I can and I know resistance training is important for that, and (3) I do want to be physically stronger and more muscular, but I can wait to be less fat first before shifting gears to really focus on that third goal.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,113 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Question 1: you do strength training to build muscle and get stronger, not to burn calories.
    If you want to burn calories, I would personally propose doing cardio separately.
    Also, what do you mean by maximizing weight loss? You should choose a sensible rate of loss from the start and than adapt your calorie intake depending on your activity level (daily activity and exercise) to aim for that rate.
    Losing too quickly increases the risk of losing muscle mass, which is the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

Question 2 and 3: keep your calorie deficit reasonable, don't lose weight too fast (0.5-1% of your bodyweight per week). And keep your protein intake (relatively) high.

No book recommandationd from me, can't help there, sorry 🙂
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great job doing it now rather than later.
    Once you get up in weight and tap out your existing muscles for what they can do - you'll be in unique situation compared to goal weight for actually gaining some muscle much easier. Which is to say it's not easy, but hey, might as well get what you can now when it'll be about impossible later.

1 - Don't try to maximize weight loss - take a reasonable deficit from what you burn in total for the day. If exercise adds to that total, it counts. Lifting doesn't burn a ton, and it may remain a short workout, so it may not really add on much, but I'd get in habit of logging it since it does count.
    If you find the eating goal even with exercise calories added on is too little, either decrease the deficit or get more active.

2 - Reasonable deficit (for amount of fat to lose), enough protein for your LBM, and resistance training - 3 legs that allow retaining what you got.

3 - This will be your testing - when is eating best, how close to bedtime for workout or food, ect. That type of stuff varies so make notes to reference later since the effects may not be quick enough to associate to changes that were made.

4 - I'll leave to others as no req for books - just some good youtubers like Nippard, Biolayne, athleanX. McDonald for article reading very in depth if desired.
  • thatminivanlife
    thatminivanlife Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1. A calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight at all, so no, there's nothing else you can do to make weight loss happen - if you're not maintaining a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight, regardless of whatever else you're doing or not doing, end of story. To your actual question, though, it is not necessary or indeed helpful to jog during rest periods - if you want to get some cardio in, do it after you're done lifting, or on non-lifting days.

2. I'm no expert, just a fellow obese woman who likes picking up heavy things and putting them back down again, but (1) if you're actively trying to lose, you are in all likelihood not making any muscular gains (how could you be? you're already eating at a deficit, what's your body going to build the muscle out of if it's already having to dip into its savings to pay the energy bills?) and (2) I think, especially for women, "noob gainz" come down more to us not actually knowing how strong we are, where our actual "baseline" is. I know I tend to err on the side of going way too light the first time I try a new exercise, or the first time doing something I haven't done for a long time, because I don't want to injure myself. Maybe you're deadlifting 135lbs by week 2 because you could always do that, and just never had a reason to try before you learned how to do it safely. I welcome anyone who does actually know anything about this to correct me, I'm always up for learning a new thing and I make absolutely no claims of expertise in physiology, exercise science, or weightlifting in general.

3. I'm focusing more on the weight loss piece than building strength right now; when I get closer to goal I'm going to dive into recomp. I'm incorporating strength training into my life now because (1) I like doing it and it makes me happy, (2) I'm 30 and have a family history of osteoporosis and arthritis, so I want to keep muh bones strong and healthy as long as I can and I know resistance training is important for that, and (3) I do want to be physically stronger and more muscular, but I can wait to be less fat first before shifting gears to really focus on that third goal.

I love the point you make about women not necessarily knowing their baseline. So true. And osteoporosis too! I know I'm nearing perimenopause, if not in it already, and that is so important for bone health as we age.
  • thatminivanlife
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Great job doing it now rather than later.
    Once you get up in weight and tap out your existing muscles for what they can do - you'll be in unique situation compared to goal weight for actually gaining some muscle much easier. Which is to say it's not easy, but hey, might as well get what you can now when it'll be about impossible later.

1 - Don't try to maximize weight loss - take a reasonable deficit from what you burn in total for the day. If exercise adds to that total, it counts. Lifting doesn't burn a ton, and it may remain a short workout, so it may not really add on much, but I'd get in habit of logging it since it does count.
    If you find the eating goal even with exercise calories added on is too little, either decrease the deficit or get more active.

2 - Reasonable deficit (for amount of fat to lose), enough protein for your LBM, and resistance training - 3 legs that allow retaining what you got.

3 - This will be your testing - when is eating best, how close to bedtime for workout or food, ect. That type of stuff varies so make notes to reference later since the effects may not be quick enough to associate to changes that were made.

4 - I'll leave to others as no req for books - just some good youtubers like Nippard, Biolayne, athleanX. McDonald for article reading very in depth if desired.

Thanks for all this, especially the extra resources to check out! I lost a significant amount of weight mostly running almost a decade ago, and then put it back on plus some, and I realize looking back that a lot of the loss was probably LBM. I'm trying to do it the right way this time.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,020 Member
    Options
    I love the point you make about women not necessarily knowing their baseline. So true.

It's not just a woman thing. Untrained men also are guilty of this.

Increased strength comes from two sources: gaining muscle, or else making better use of the existing muscle. This may be a combination of learning proper technique to put yourself at best mechanical advantage (i.e. a small change in angle can have a HUGE impact in amount of weight lifted), but for people new to lifting an equal amount of strength adaptation comes from the brain-muscle connection improving.

Basically, the human body is lazy, and will resort to using the least amount of effort to do something. Consequently, for most folks, when you use a muscle (say your biceps which bend your elbow), you don't actually use every fiber in your biceps, only enough to lift the pen or cup of milk. By weight training, you are forcing the body to suddenly have to use more of what it's already got, with the brain rediscovering its connection to all the muscle fibers already present. Activate more fibers, deliver more strength, without the muscle having gotten a single cell bigger.

Between learning technique and improved mind-muscle adaptation, that's where a lot of the beginning lifter's increase in strength comes from. Muscles may seem to be getting bigger, but usually early on this is more a matter of existing muscle swelling slightly from use and the sudden influx of water/nutrients for recovery, as well as a melting away of the fat surrounding the muscle. Actual muscle growth requires an increase in calories, which runs completely counter to your desired outcome of losing weight.

Of course, exceptions exist to every rule, and some people may in fact gain muscle mass while they are losing fat, but how that happens is beyond me.
  • goal06082021
    Options
    @nossmf that makes a lot of sense. I would say that even untrained men are more likely to have attempted to pick up heavy things unassisted before doing it on purpose for exercise, though - the average man likely has more data to inform his decision of where to start with lifting in terms of weight than the average woman. Although plenty of women hoik 40lb toddlers into the air without batting an eye, but somehow a squirmy human with a constantly changing center of balance isn't considered "a weight" the way some iron discs stuck together with an aluminum bar is.
  • thatminivanlife
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Muscles may seem to be getting bigger, but usually early on this is more a matter of existing muscle swelling slightly from use and the sudden influx of water/nutrients for recovery, as well as a melting away of the fat surrounding the muscle. Actual muscle growth requires an increase in calories, which runs completely counter to your desired outcome of losing weight.

Of course, exceptions exist to every rule, and some people may in fact gain muscle mass while they are losing fat, but how that happens is beyond me.

This makes sense! Maybe the anomalies who can do that are able to metabolize food to repair and grow muscle tissue while using stored energy for basic metabolic stuff.

Do you know if increasing strength in existing muscle tissue increases BMR, or is that only increased by the growth of new muscle tissue? (Or am I way off here? I'm trying to figure this all out because it keeps my brain busy while I'm building these new habits.(
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I am not "experienced," but new to lifting myself. That said, I found it interesting you said you are finding it really easy doing Stronglifts. I just thought it worth mentioning that gains, as I understand it, come from lifting heavy (e.g. you can only do between 5-12 reps per set). I believe Stronglifts has you do 5 if I am remembering correctly. But if you are not finding that hard, it sounds like you need to be lifting heavier.

Again, I am new myself, so someone else may chime in and say I am wrong. And I won't debate it. I am just mentioning what I have come across in my research. When I started, I added weight to each set until I found the heaviest I could handle for between the above mentioned reps, and then I made that my starting weight beginning the next workout. When I hit 10 reps per set, I add weight. I do not find my workouts easy. I break a sweat, and they are hard, although I do enjoy lifting - thank god cause I hate (HATE) cardio.

I am doing the same thing you are btw. I saw all the same "wish I had done this earlier" stuff.. I am 270lb and trying to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I do 20 minutes of mild cardio before my weight workout. It is just walking, so I don't feel it effects my workout, but it gives me a warm up, gets me an hour and half of cardio a week which is needed for overall health, and while diet is most important for loss, it will bump up my calorie burn a little as well.

If you are really wanting to understand the science aspects. I will mention Jeff Nippard as a source. He has a youtube channel and delves deep into all the old and new research on lifting. He always sites his sources which is awesome.
    https://youtube.com/user/icecream4PRs
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Actual muscle growth requires an increase in calories, which runs completely counter to your desired outcome of losing weight.

I never kept links to any of the research articles I have read. But there are tons of articles on this topic as newer research has shown recomping (losing fat while gaining muscle) is doable. One study pointed out that when the body needs extra energy it will pull from fat stores, and this includes when it needs it to build muscle, most important for losing fat while lifting was not cutting calories "too low", and getting enough protein.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Muscles may seem to be getting bigger, but usually early on this is more a matter of existing muscle swelling slightly from use and the sudden influx of water/nutrients for recovery, as well as a melting away of the fat surrounding the muscle. Actual muscle growth requires an increase in calories, which runs completely counter to your desired outcome of losing weight.

This makes sense! Maybe the anomalies who can do that are able to metabolize food to repair and grow muscle tissue while using stored energy for basic metabolic stuff.

Do you know if increasing strength in existing muscle tissue increases BMR, or is that only increased by the growth of new muscle tissue? (Or am I way off here? I'm trying to figure this all out because it keeps my brain busy while I'm building these new habits.(

I think primarily it's mass gain that can increase BMR (and that not by very much, plus it's oh-so slow). I wouldn't expect an effect on BMR from increasing neuromuscular adaptation (that's the better recruitment/use of existing muscle fibers). Researchers nowadays seem to think a pound of muscle at rest burns around 4 calories *per day* more than a pound of fat (which is also metabolically active) . . . that's not much. And it takes weeks to months to gain a pound of muscle mass, under the best of conditions. (Calorie deficit = not the best of conditions, sadly.)

Here's a speculation, though: I'd bet that people who are stronger (even through neuromuscular adaptation alone) will find it easier and more fun to do physical things in general, so will tend to move more throughout their day . . . and that *does* burn calories.

In terms of burning more calories, think not only about exercise, but about putting more movement in your day in a variety of ways: That can really add up. Lots of ideas in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Mr. Heybales is right, you shouldn't just be doing more stuff to lose weight faster and faster: You want to lose weight at a sensible rate, create sustainable *habits* of moving more in a diversity of happy ways (exercise and daily life stuff), fuel your actual activity level and get good nutrition . . . that's the route to maximizing your maintenance calories in the long run, in addition to keeping as much existing muscle as you can through strength training (and maybe even adding some muscle mass along the way even during weight loss, though that part isn't guaranteed).

If Heybales disagrees with anything I just typed above, believe Heybales! 😉
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

That is actually the idea for recomp, and as referenced some newer studies showing if there is enough fat you can get the same effect. What you eat is shuttled off for repair and BMR required functions, fat takes care of rest the load.
    Why it's not an option when closer to healthy weight - then the goal will be to keep what ya got.

But that's why reasonable deficit is needed, the building the muscle is sort of like the extra deficit.

Nervous system with better usage of existing muscle isn't going to increase BMR. New muscle will.
    And as Ann pointed out (hmmph, as if disagreement!) - ain't much then either. I think there's a song - something's better than nothing....

Frankly - you are liable to get a bigger kick from the fact of getting a hard workout the body needs to repair from than the new muscle when it comes.

I would suggest - plan for when the strength increases in SL5X5 aren't coming as fast or stagnant, and switch to a hypertrophy program that has more work done to grow muscle as focus, rather than grow strength. There is some overlap, but they aren't the same thing. (nippard has series on that)
    And still take advantage of time with extra fat to lose.

If you were loving the power of strength training going heavier and heavier - can always switch back during that time closer to goal weight when building new muscle isn't going to happen anyway. Then keep increasing strength of new muscle you did get.

We got some great lady strength lifters that I know didn't start with that being the goal, but they love the competitions now.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,432 Member
    Options
    I run contrary to many here. I don’t record gym sessions because my feeling is they are so stop and go I probably don’t burn many calories. I do record everything else: intentional walks, mat classes, etc.

As far as reading suggestions, honey, you are on the mother lode right here.

Read the stickies at the top of each section. Go back several pages and read threads that sound interesting.

I’ve learned a ton here, and it’s been in a fun, supportive, gossipy format. A book on diet or working out would have me sacked out. This is just so much more immediate and digestible.
  • thatminivanlife
    Options
    I run contrary to many here. I don’t record gym sessions because my feeling is they are so stop and go I probably don’t burn many calories. I do record everything else: intentional walks, mat classes, etc.

As far as reading suggestions, honey, you are on the mother lode right here.

Read the stickies at the top of each section. Go back several pages and read threads that sound interesting.

I’ve learned a ton here, and it’s been in a fun, supportive, gossipy format. A book on diet or working out would have me sacked out. This is just so much more immediate and digestible.

Thank you! I have been lurking in forums since early 2013 (but let life get in the way of actually changing anything into now) and posted here exactly because I knew how knowledgeable people here are! It seems like a really great way to get started is to see what advice the successful people-- the ones who have changed habits and reached goals and then kept it up-- have about the journey.

I'm the kind of person who reads 1-2 books a week so I'm always looking for recommendations ANYWHERE.
  • thatminivanlife
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I think primarily it's mass gain that can increase BMR (and that not by very much, plus it's oh-so slow). I wouldn't expect an effect on BMR from increasing neuromuscular adaptation (that's the better recruitment/use of existing muscle fibers). Researchers nowadays seem to think a pound of muscle at rest burns around 4 calories *per day* more than a pound of fat (which is also metabolically active) . . . that's not much. And it takes weeks to months to gain a pound of muscle mass, under the best of conditions. (Calorie deficit = not the best of conditions, sadly.)

Here's a speculation, though: I'd bet that people who are stronger (even through neuromuscular adaptation alone) will find it easier and more fun to do physical things in general, so will tend to move more throughout their day . . . and that *does* burn calories.

In terms of burning more calories, think not only about exercise, but about putting more movement in your day in a variety of ways: That can really add up. Lots of ideas in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Mr. Heybales is right, you shouldn't just be doing more stuff to lose weight faster and faster: You want to lose weight at a sensible rate, create sustainable *habits* of moving more in a diversity of happy ways (exercise and daily life stuff), fuel your actual activity level and get good nutrition . . . that's the route to maximizing your maintenance calories in the long run, in addition to keeping as much existing muscle as you can through strength training (and maybe even adding some muscle mass along the way even during weight loss, though that part isn't guaranteed).

Thank you (and everyone else here) for dropping all your knowledge! I read (I think in Atomic Habits) something along the lines of "If you fall in love with the habits, results will come." I've been trying to focus on that through this. I'd rather lose the times as slow but make it permanent rather than lose it fast but struggle at maintenance because the habits aren't sustainable. Because of that, I'm trying to look forward to what I can do now to work on the habits that are going to carry me furthest, even when I struggle with dips in motivation.
  • goal06082021
    Options

Thank you (and everyone else here) for dropping all your knowledge! I read (I think in Atomic Habits) something along the lines of "If you fall in love with the habits, results will come." I've been trying to focus on that through this. I'd rather lose the times as slow but make it permanent rather than lose it fast but struggle at maintenance because the habits aren't sustainable. Because of that, I'm trying to look forward to what I can do now to work on the habits that are going to carry me furthest, even when I struggle with dips in motivation.

That's a great mindset. We are what we repeatedly do, building habits is the key. I saw someone--kshama? callsit? can't remember now--but I saw someone on another thread about "needing motivation" reply to the OP asking, "Do you need 'motivation' to brush your teeth?" or something along those lines. I was already leaning in hard to the idea of learning a new way to live, have been doing so pretty successfully for almost 10 months now, but that concept really made a lot of things click into place. If my doing X thing in service of my health and goals is contingent upon being motivated to do it, that's not sustainable and I need to find a way to make it less onerous to do.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

IMO, that's the kind of thinking that makes people much more likely to succeed. Go, you!
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You may find some useful information in the book Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Do you have any recommendations about books (I love books) that would give me more information about good ways to reach my goals (lose weight, feel good, look better naked)?

I HIGHLY recommend Renaissance Diet 2.0 from Renaissance Periodization. Their Renaissance Woman is also excellent. They also have books on hypertrophy and habit-building that may be right up your alley.

Beyond those, the Muscle & Strength Pyramids from 3DMJ (there are 2 - one for training & one for diet).

Brad Schoenfeld just published an update to his MAX Muscle book that, while it's not necessarily the type of programming that I personally use, is definitely solid.

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Usually I'd agree to get on the resistance training, however you say you are "morbidly obese". It's going to be hard enough to build and keep muscle while presumably in a long term deficit, especially if that's over say 500 calories per day, that I'm not sure you should make resistance training the current priority that you seem to be. I'd say focus on the diet and cardio for a sustainable deficit, then gradually introduce more resistance training later once you drop to obese levels.

Good luck with it.

+1 for the Jeff Nippard YT rec above.