Exercise after dinner

Options
2»

Replies

• Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yeah personally I prefer working out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, because I don't feel great working out on a full stomach and don't sleep great if I work out too late in the evening (adrenaline at the wrong time!). It's a personal preference really, exercise on an empty stomach (although I do drink fruit juice for an energy boost just before) works better for some, not others.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous, do what works for you. All exercise is good exercise.

I have to eat dinner before going to the gym or else I faint. Plus I wouldn't be eating dinner till 10 or 11 at night as I usually go to the gym soon after work and en route to somewhere else. So I end up eating dinner at 5pm or even earlier some days. Not the best but needs must so I do it.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I always exercise after dinner ;) Well a couple of hours after dinner
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, of course it's not true.
  • Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for this! I appreciate this advice so much.

I’m not a morning person at all!! Ive gotten so heavy and have no energy and feel like I have to start something but was apprehensive about working out after dinner. Not looking for quick results but just looking to start exercising to feel better again.

I’ve come across some really great you tube videos that look easy and hopefully get me moving a little more.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @Josyurtos23

Of course you are burning fat when you exercise, you burn fat 24 x 7 and the proportion of fat to carbs is predominantly due to your exercise or activity intensity.
    Your fat loss over time is governed by your calorie balance and not by when you exercise or by what fuel ratio is being used during exercise.

For example.....
    While hooked up to a breath analyser setting up for a test in a sports science lab I was burning 90% + fat and under 10% carbs while just sitting on the exercise bike (despite a high carb breakfast and just having had a carby sports drink.

Once the test started and the intensity ramped up slowly the proportion of fat to carbs changed. Roughly 50/50 at a heartrate of 130bpm. From there upwards as the exercise got very intense carbs became the redominat fuel.

And for loss of bodyfat over an extended period of time it simply doesn't matter at all.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    any exercise, regardless of time of day, is good exercise. and you certainly did more than your friend ;)

with today's lifestyles, we are all so busy and have so many commitments - get it in when you can. for some its 5 am. for some at lunch, for some 10 pm, for some right after dinner. as far as I am concerned (and I am no one, in the grand scheme of things)... it doesn't matter. you are up, moving, burning calories, and doing nothing but good things for your body (assuming of course, you dont make yourself physically ill by working out right after eating).

so... go for it. whenever you can fit it in!
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This may be a zombie thread record...10 years. LOL
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    I find the best time to workout is whenever I can fit it in!!

Working out > sitting on the couch!!

Go get it !! :)

I agree! Something is always better than nothing:)
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    The only bad workout is the one that didn’t happen.
    If you google it, you’ll find all sorts of articles and opinions about the best time of day to exercise.
    I workout fasted in the morning because that is what works for my schedule.
    You workout in the evening because that is what works for your schedule.
    Any workout is better than no workout.
    Take care
  • rokeyyyadav
    rokeyyyadav Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes i agree with what you're saying about personal trainers.
  • LDavidButler
    LDavidButler Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Well…just realized this was from 10 years ago. 😁
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Even if this was true, the impact of exercise on mental health should be taken into consideration! Sometimes the amount of exercise I do is so insignificant that it really doesn't do much in the long-run, but I feel better about the choice I made.
  • stealthette
    stealthette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you're moving, you are burning calories. Whether or not you're burning breakfast, lunch or dinner or fat stores, who cares? You can't move, think or breath for free it all uses up calories.