Fasting.

Options
I’m trying to fast for 12 hours but I do eat 1 or 2 crackers coz if I don’t I get sick. Is fasting help to loose weight and how long I should fast to get result?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Fasting helps with calorie intake. I like two bigger meals at mealtime. You still need to count the calories though.
  • LiliRose2707
    LiliRose2707 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I try counting my calories but it’s kinda hard so I rather just fast for now, I’m confuse in what healthy for me and what not. I do stop the soda today hope I be able to do it all day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,188 Member
    Options
    Fasting can help you lose weight if it makes it easier for you personally as an individual to stick to a calorie goal. Usually, that's true for some people who either like hard and fast rules, or who prefer large meals eaten less often for satiation, or who find that fasting helps them think about food less so eat less, or something like that.

There's nothing magic for weight loss about eating lots of small amounts spread evenly across all your waking hours, or one meal in just one hour a day, or anything in between. Meal timing has either no effect, or (in some studies) quite a small one. (The studies I know where there seemed to be a small effect were not finding that fasting was more effective.) It's all about personal preference and satiation.

If you get sick if you fast, that kind of sounds like fasting might not be the best route for you, but that's up to you.

I ate food starting around half an hour after waking, then anytime I wanted to right up until bed time, keeping near my calorie goal the overwhelming majority of days, and lost weight just fine. I only routinely fast when I'm asleep, plus the half hour in the morning after I take my thyroid meds (have to wait after taking them, before eating). I lost 50+ pounds in less than a year, obese to healthy weight, and have stayed at a healthy weight for 5+ years since, eating like that.

Fasting is optional, IME.
  • LiliRose2707
    Options
    Congratulation, I wish I can reach my goal and stick to it. I’m realistic I’m 44 I cannot have the body of a 22 year old girl, I’m 138 right now I just want to be fit and healthy I want for now reach 134-135 lbs my main goal will be 122. I fast as long as I can on my 12 hours fast I was able to get 6 to 7 hours but got hungry ate a little more that half a burger and a few sip of cola. Gonna try to be better tomorrow.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Congratulation, I wish I can reach my goal and stick to it. I’m realistic I’m 44 I cannot have the body of a 22 year old girl, I’m 138 right now I just want to be fit and healthy I want for now reach 134-135 lbs my main goal will be 122. I fast as long as I can on my 12 hours fast I was able to get 6 to 7 hours but got hungry ate a little more that half a burger and a few sip of cola. Gonna try to be better tomorrow.

What weekly weight loss goal did you select?

If more than a half pound per week, it may not be the fasting that is making you hungry but the overall lack of calories.

5b64jkjpz4w3.png
    I try counting my calories but it’s kinda hard so I rather just fast for now, I’m confuse in what healthy for me and what not. I do stop the soda today hope I be able to do it all day.

But if you're not counting calories you wouldn't know if the amount you are eating is too little...
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I fasted for 16-20 hours a day in order to lose weight. I eat one to three meals a day with no snacks. I have also done longer fasts. So far I have maintained a 40 pound weight lose for 6months after the initial lost.
    It works for me because snacking made me hungry all day. I slowly moved up my dinner time by an hour each week and pushed back my breakfast by 30min each day.
    If fasting is making you hungrier or sick I do not recommend it since it’s not for everyone. But if you want to try it then start slow.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to fast for 12 hours but I do eat 1 or 2 crackers coz if I don’t I get sick. Is fasting help to loose weight and how long I should fast to get result?

What hours are you fasting? I tried to do 16 hours but I get hungry, too, so I am going 12-14 hr. It helps me stop nighttime snacking. I still log my food.

If you are going to get sick, eat the crackers. Your well-being is more important than fasting.

• LiliRose2707
    Options
    Thanks all of you. I think for now I will fast as long as I can but if I get sick or too hungry I will eat something. It true my well-being is more important than my weight.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I really don't see skipping a night time snack as "fasting." I stopped eating after dinner 9 years ago due to night time acid reflux. But, its only a couple hour break from snacking.
  • LiliRose2707
    Options
    Your right thanks.😊
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Recently I have been restricting eating to a 12 or 11 hour period (occasionally 10 hr). Intermittent fasting usually calls for a 14 to 16 hour fast with an 8 to 10 hour period to eat. That did not seem sustainable to me. I never know when dinner will be so it's hard to pick a start time. I value my midmorning coffee with my husband, so I don't want to miss that. I now delay breakfast until we meet for coffee. Moreover, it has been clear to me for a long time that my least healthy food choices are in the evening after dinner. That is when I have binged; sometime 1000 or more calories! Never binged before dinner oddly. So....extra calories followed by heartburn. So far this has not been very hard. I am learning to accept the hunger I feel at bedtime. It isn't excessive. I have just forgotten how it feels to not be so full. Weight loss is happening so far and heartburn has improved. I will see what happens going forward. I know this is not truly IF, but it is helping me address one longtime poor eating habit. On a side note, I am cleaning out clutter instead of eating.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of you. I think for now I will fast as long as I can but if I get sick or too hungry I will eat something. It true my well-being is more important than my weight.

If I wait until I feel sick, I have gone too long without eating, and then want ALL THE CARBS AND FAT to feel better.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Recently I have been restricting eating to a 12 or 11 hour period (occasionally 10 hr).

I'm glad you have found an eating style that works for you.

But would one really call a 12 hour eating window fasting??

I mean, that's only not eating from say, 8 pm to 8 am. - which seems the sort of thing many people regularly do with no fasting attempt or label at all.