Migrating from Sparkpeople to MFP

Options
MAEMAE6060
MAEMAE6060 Posts: 9 Member
edited August 2021 in Chit-Chat
Hi,

Just wanted to say hello. I have seen a few message threads with people asking what is going on with Sparkpeople. As of 8/17/21 the site is shutting down and has already launched a new site - SparkAmerica. I'm sure will be a wonderful forum for those that are interested but there are many folks that may have chosen to not follow. In my case, I just felt it was no right fit for me and I have decided to try MFP to aid me in tracking my food and whatever else MFP offers.

It's all new but I'm excited about the change and looking forward to getting to know folks and finding support as I continue on my weight loss/good health journey. I feel confident MFP will be instrumental in doing that.

Have a great day all.
Maryanne
(Maemae6060)

Replies

• dsguilhu
    dsguilhu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hope we meet a lot of sparklers here and that our regular friends join us.
  • dlben007
    dlben007 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was on Sparkpeople for many years and hated leaving. I am happy with MFP so far. Hope to meet former Sparkpeople members. All the best to each of you here on this web site. May you have success in your health journey
  • MAEMAE6060
    Options
    Good Morning everyone!!!

Heading to the beach today with my healthy snacks!

Have a great day.
    Maryanne
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Not from sparkpeople, but I have noticed the influx. Welcome you guys!

Is th new forum not to your liking, or is there down time while they transition?
  • IAMHEALTHY98
    IAMHEALTHY98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I was a SP, too.
    Seeing a lot of us here :)
  • DuathlonDon22
    DuathlonDon22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp!! I was on SP, but not very active ...I have been on mfp for quite a while (2012)...please add me as a friend if you wish.....I'm a runner and cyclist.......
  • StevenTheFit
    StevenTheFit Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Is th new forum not to your liking, or is there down time while they transition?

It's not really a forum anymore. It now seems to be mainly for corporations to have their employees join in and do challenges and things like that. They closed the original site because, even with ads, they weren't able to make it any longer. Individuals can join and do all the tracking and join in the challenges but there is no forum for us to interact with each other.
  • Lolabrug3
    Lolabrug3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am from spark. Hope to find a good fit here. I just synced my fitbit. Hopefully it works.
  • hjahangiri
    hjahangiri Posts: 56 Member
    Options

SparkPeople has been around longer than MyFitnessPal, and people grow attached. No one much likes change unless it's to add things - never when it takes away things or seems unnecessary. That such a wonderful site was completely free to so many for so long is nothing short of a miracle.

The new Spark360/SparkAmerica looks like it'll be great, and they offered US residents free individual memberships on it (how can any of us complain about that?) But it is unavailable outside the US and they haven't yet implemented many of the more popular features from the old site. They may or may not do so in the future. The focus appears to be on corporate wellness partnerships (somewhat like Virgin Pulse). You can see that on their new home page:
    "SparkAmerica is part of our new business model, in which we work with companies and organizations to help keep their employees healthy. Not only does this business model allow us to expand our health offerings to more people, but it also does a much better job of paying the bills and will likely allow us to hire more people over time to keep improving our tech offerings. We're very excited that we can open up our website and app for this business while keeping it free to help all individuals and organizations in the United States achieve their health and fitness goals."

A lot of the community features are gone. Friends are still trying to find one another (there's a private forum on Facebook, too, for former SP members). So, there's a bit of mourning today, but with such a warm welcome from the regular crew at MyFitnessPal, we'll settle in nicely and be good community members, I'm sure. :smiley:
  • MAEMAE6060
    Options
    Hjahangiri - I couldn't have said it any better. I'm sure SparkAmerica will continue to build and add on features as it grows. I know they eventually hope to go outside the US but as of right now are unable so we'll see what happens. Meanwhile, MFP is a wonderful start for a lot of us to continue on our 'healthy' journey. Like you said, give us a bit of time and we'll all find our footing here.

Maryanne
  • MAEMAE6060
    Options
    Just popping on to say Good Morning to everyone.

I'm loving being on vacation - Heading to the Cape today to visit family. Even thou it's 'scheduled' to cloudy today we're going to spend a little time on the beach so packed up a nice caesar salad and some fruit to avoid any 'snack' shacks which can lure me to the dark side (think fries and hot dogs etc.).

Have a spectacular day today.
    Maryanne