Scars Tell a Story

Options
nossmf
nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
Some see scars as unsightly blemishes on otherwise perfect skin, or a nonstop reminder of a horrific experience best forgotten. But for some, scars can actually be a positive, a testament to having survived, maybe even having learned something to become a better person.

I'll start. A few years ago I finished a set of barbell back squats, racked the weight at shoulder height. My next scheduled exercise was a stiff legged deadlift, which requires the weight be on the ground. The safe, correct procedure is to remove the weights from the bar, move the empty bar to the desired height, then re-add the desired weight.

Not my stupid self. I positioned the bar across my front shoulders, stepped back from the support, then proceeded to basically reverse curl the weight down in front of me. At least, that was the plan. And all was going according to plan, until the reverse curl basically turned into a drop, with my grip predictably failing to hold onto the weight, which bounced off the floor and into my shin. Amazingly I didn't break any bones (though walking was painful for a few days), but the point where the bar impacted my shin developed a remarkable bruise which, though smaller and less grimace-inducing today, is still clearly visible years after the fact.

These days I see the bruise every day in the shower or when wearing workout shorts, and it serves as a reminder that shortcuts in the weight room are NOT a good idea.

My wife has stretch marks from having given birth four times. Our kids have asked her if she wants to have them removed so she can wear her bikini again, but she cherishes her lines.

Do you have scars, stretch marks, permanent bruises, loss of limb or any other visible reminder of a life lived which you are willing to share with the community?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have stretch marks from having had 2 kids, but like me, they are older now and faded LOL

they dont bother me like they used to and i wear whatever swimsuit i want - and except for my 'gym' swimsuit they are all 2 piece ones- or maybe i just stopped caring what other people think of me (probably the latter ;) )
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    My scars are memories, and lessons

I have an indented one like I think you are describing, crazy that you can make an indentation on your bone, it's on my forehead and it dented the bone and didn’t cut the skin, from hitting it on a cupboard handle ... another one that needed 3 external and two internal stitches just above my lip, hitting it on a sharp angle cabinet

...prob should wear a helmet

Burn line (barely visible, but I remember)on my knee from a hot stove falling over on me and the rack hitting me

Chicken pox mark on forehead

...and a v shaped scar on my index finger for trying to cut holes in paper to fit it into a binder when I was like 10

2 tooth marks from cat bites

I remember all my scars
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Had stitches on my finger. Smoked one cigarette. One! so sick, all night. I don’t smoke. Never did.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Chicken pox mark on forehead

Oh yes, I have one right above my right eye, between my eyelid and eyebrow. Thanks to immunizations, my kids will never know what that little experience was like.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I have a donut shaped thing on my forehead, right in the middle, from my brother pushing me in a metal pole as kids. “Tag” 🙄
    I had a burn on my leg from my mom’s motorcycle for years but I think it finally went away after 10-15 years.
    My left ring and middle fingers are all cut up from my hairdresser days.
    Got a decent scar of my left cheek where my cheek dermal rejected out my face. The one on the other cheek is much smaller since it was pulled and not sawing it’s way out of my face. 🤠
    Scar on my left knee from squishing it in some totes at work.
    Scar on my left arm from my cat Colbert. I’ve been scratched many times but for sone reason that one stayed. I like it.
    And I’m covered in stretch marks because a *kitten* likes to eat.
  • PAWGliacci
    PAWGliacci Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    couple of small ones on my knee- got tangled in some barbed wire when i was little

one on my left hand middle finger middle knuckle- peeled the whole thing back when i was a kid working at my dad's mechanic shop

small thin one on my left hand near the wrist- dont remember.

left corner of my mouth has a small one- got whupped in a fist fight over a girl when i was 13 or so and bit through my own lip and cheek right there

faded blotch on the inner part of my right calf- dropped a heat gun against it when i was in the army polishing boots one day
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Have a 3 inch scar in the middle of my forehead starting at the hairline from when friend and I decided to "borrow" the neighbor's truck when we were 14 and somehow managed to roll it. Yeah, not the smartest thing I have ever done.
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,049 Member
    Options
    A few physical scars, some mental ones. With time, they have faded.
    •Left hand pointer finger - got caught in a rickety window when trying to close it.
    •Stretch marks -childbirth
    •Upper lip - Me vs a tree. Tree won.
    •Left leg- accident that cut to the bone and required 11 stitches.
  • nossmf
    Options
    The pinkie toe on my right foot is a stunted little thing. While barefoot teaching my son to walk by holding his hands as he moved his feet, I swung my leg forward just as he planted his leg in my path. Stubbed my toe against his heel, and for some reason the impact was just right for the bone to snap. Doctor said the toe was too small for a splint, so basically taped it up and sent me home. Over time the bone healed, but where my other toes all stretch out away from my foot, that toe is permanently curled double. Haven't experienced any loss of balance or power as a result, and unless I'm wearing sandals or you're inside my home you'd never know, but my wife still gives me grief over how wimpy I must be, a big strong military man who got a bone broken by an infant, lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends with scars. But many came out of the penitentiary. You should hear their stories. :s

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nossmf
    Options
    I forgot about my nose getting broken by a middle-school bully who tried to intimidate me, but when I didn't back down, he sucker punched my nose and ran the other way. Strongly suspect this incident helped lead to a possible diagnosis of sleep apnea.
  • dawnfire72
    dawnfire72 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks, burn marks (I like to bake), and various scars from scratches and scrapes (some from ditching my bike or skateboard as a kid and others self-inflicted). I also have about 14 round small scars on my hands and forearms from failed IV attempts when I had a hemorrhage after having our youngest child.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    f1h4umelsf19.jpeg
    Forgot about this one.

💉 🎯 🩸