sup prep

Options
So tomorrow I need to drink that dreaded suprep at 5 pm and again at 4 am following day. I am having a colonscopy on the 19th and am quite worried about taking the sup prep as I tend to get dehydrated at times. so drinking water today and a little bit of pedialyte. Tomorrow prep day is strickly a liquid diet and I will be drinkintg lots of water and some pedialyte again. Wish me luck. I have done a lot of research and I am going into this with a positive mindset ( as best I can)

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    between the liquid diet and drinking a ton of water you shouldnt have any worries about getting dehydrated.

hubby just had his colonoscopy last month. the prep is definitely the worst part.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the prep is sub-recreational. Hoping it will be as manageable for you as possible . . . which seems likely as you're approaching it very thoughtfully.

For the main event, wishing you excellent results from the colonoscopy itself, too!

(. . . and then you get to eat.😉)

Best wishes!
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't dread it. Embrace it! I enjoyed my colonoscopy prep - the liquid diet part that is. The toilet, less so. But it seemed like a giant experiment to see how my body responded so that was fun. It also meant I didn't have to cook or worry about meal planning for that period. And it helps to enjoy jello (which I love) :smiley:

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I bought diaper rash cream for my nether regions so that they wouldn't get sore from all of the wiping. I also drank Gatorade Zero to help keep my electrolytes in balance.
  • healhierhappiness
    healhierhappiness Posts: 102 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thanks you guys!!! great tips and the well wishes!! T minus five hours to Prep!! Starting first bottle sup prep at 5 pm. so far today have drank 1/2bottle 33oz pedialyte so far and downed 3 16oz water bottles. Will continue on with the drinking.. OHHH I did get some green Jello jel it is green and ve ry tasty!! :::)) Ill try to update later"" Kool-Aid Strawberry Kiwi Gelatins - 4pk/13.5oz""I will eat all four today along with chix broth
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Medicated cream/vaseline is a good idea. I didn't so that, but I used baby wipes instead of toilet paper. The prep is def worse than the procedure, and like Ann said, I hope you get the "all clear" for another 10 years.
  • healhierhappiness
    Options
    ahoy_m8 Medicated cream/vaseline is a good idea. I didn't so that, but I used baby wipes instead of toilet paper. The prep is def worse than the procedure, and like Ann said, I hope you get the "all clear" for another 10 years.

hi ahoy I have some cottonelle wet type aloe wipes, they arent really that wet tho. I have vaseline which Ill be using ty. And ty you for the 10 yrs clear!! and everyone else thanks
  • healhierhappiness
    Options
    TY glass yo!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yeah, the prep is sub-recreational.

Sub-recreational is my new favorite word.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Update: went to sleep that night around 10 pm later on after I took my first bottle of sup prep. About midnight hubby heard me gurgling and couldnt wake me up called 911 they had hard time awakening me. I had a seizure from the supprep ended up in ICU with low magnesium and sodium levels . damned near died if he hadnt of heard me. I got pnemonia also from it. I was drowning in my own water. home now taking it easy needless to say no colonscopy for me and no more supprep!! beware of that stuff

Oh, no: How awful!

I'm so glad your hubby noticed.

Sending wishes that you'll be back to 100% soon, with no more negative effects!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Update: went to sleep that night around 10 pm later on after I took my first bottle of sup prep. About midnight hubby heard me gurgling and couldnt wake me up called 911 they had hard time awakening me. I had a seizure from the supprep ended up in ICU with low magnesium and sodium levels . damned near died if he hadnt of heard me. I got pnemonia also from it. I was drowning in my own water. home now taking it easy needless to say no colonscopy for me and no more supprep!! beware of that stuff

Yikes! That is NOT supposed to happen! I'm glad you had someone there.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    thanks for the well wishes it was quite the ordeal. I do not remember the rescue squad taking me to the vehicle i dont remember the ER yet i was told i was alert and talking!!! I was Really out there!! wasnt until friday morning when i awoke in in the ICU that i remember anything. very strange and scary!!! They said while they were figuring it all out and until they got the sodium and magnesium back I was high risk for heart attack to boot. Had me hooked up to all kinds of heart monitors. i weighed 183.6 before i started the prep for sup prep on wednesday morning , I see in my records at 3 am thursday in the er i was up to 195!!! today im at 185 thank goodness

Did they give you anti-seizure medication? My mother had a cerebral bleeding incident about 30 years ago, and when she first woke up after the operation to relieve the pressure from the pooling blood in her brain, she remembered the whole day leading up to when she lost consciousness, including some incidents other people could corroborate when we asked ("Did she call you on Sunday? How did she seem?"). Then a day later, after the anti-seizure meds built up, she couldn't remember all the things she had told us about that day.

She continued to have some memory issues, which really upset her and made her afraid, for about a year until the doctor agreed to lower the dosage. The doctors insisted the memory loss was due to the physical injury caused by the bleeding, not the meds, despite the inconsistency of the timeline with their explanations, and despite the improved memory, physical balance, and energy (she had become lethargic) after lowering the dose.

I'm not saying people shouldn't take anti-seizure medications. My anecdote is an n of 1, and in any case, memory problems, physical balance issues, and lethargy may be an appropriate cost, depending on the actual risk of seizures. In my mother's case, given that whatever seizure she may have had was due to a physical problem they had addressed surgically, it eventually seemed too big a cost in quality of life.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is an unusual response to the prep. Do you have a history of low sodium or magnesium?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options

I am very sorry you experienced that. Very scary!