My One Year Progress With Before and After Pictures -- 86 lb

Options
I have been overweight since I was in my early twenties. I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I would always be heavy. I was having a few health problems, but nothing too serious. The thing that bothered me was that every time I went to the doctor, it seemed I had something else wrong or I needed a different type of medication. I had tried dieting before but every time I would reach a plateau, I would get discouraged and “fall off the wagon”.

One day while visiting my Mom and Dad, Daddy said he was really worried about me because of my weight. I knew I didn’t want to worry them or my husband and that I needed to do something, but quite frankly I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to be healthier so that I could be around for my family and be able to play with my precious grand children. I told them that I didn’t want them to worry but I just needed to be “psyched up” and ready mentally to go on a diet, and change my lifestyle. I knew if I wasn’t ready I would only fail again, and I didn’t want that to happen. I have read before that losing weight is 100% mental and the physical part is just an added benefit. I needed the strength and I felt like I just didn’t have it. In fact, I didn’t have the strength to do anything and that included walking from the house to the car without “huffing and puffing”.

My husband and parents at that point were the only “encouragers” I had. I began searching the web for weight loss tips, advice, and ideas to keep motivated. I ran across a link to MFP and clicked on it. I read several testimonials of how tracking calories and the exercise calories burned helped keep people motivated. I also read that you can makes friends with others who have some of the same problems, and are facing the same battle. I decided to give it a try! I thought this might be what it would take to keep me motivated and looking forward not back. After all, it seemed in the past the reason I got discouraged and quit was the lack of motivation or encouragement.

God gives me strength every day to fight this battle. I know that even though my family loves me, God loves me more. He doesn’t want me to be sick and unhealthy. I should do my part and that includes making my health a priority. I need to stop putting myself on the back burner and doing other things instead. I know that our bodies are the temple of God, and we should not destroy them.

I made a promise to myself that I will do this and I will do it in a healthy way. I started eating healthy and exercising every day. There are no fad diets or quick fixes to lose the kind of weight that I need to lose. I have realized that even if it takes me three years to lose this weight, I took me 22 years to put it on. So, I will keep pressing on.

I have been on my fitness journey for 12 months and have lost 86 pounds and 58 inches. I have had many rewards so far from the weight I have lost. The first and greatest reward was my last doctor visit when he took me off of my blood pressure/ fluid medication and anti – inflammatory for arthritis and bone spurs. Second, would be that I can walk 4 or 5 miles at a time and not be struggling to breathe. Third would be shopping in regular stores again, and not having to go to the big women clothing stores. Another is seeing the look on people faces when they ask how much I have lost and I tell them. I say this because I know there are many who doubted my ability to do this and I am sure many still doubt that I can keep the weight off. But what they don’t understand is that I am focused on my goal and my stubbornness is helping me to continue on. I will continue to lose this weight by proper diet and exercise, and then maintain it in the same way. I still have 65 pounds to lose, but I will make it because I am now more motivated than ever. I still have my husband, and parents as my “encouragers”. Plus, I have my walking partner and Friend Lynn who keeps me laughing when I want to cry. I also have a very supportive and wonderful church family, and some great MFP’s on this site.

My advice to others would be to surround yourself with people who love you and want what is best for you. Find people who have the same goals and are fighting a weight loss battle also. But don’t let anyone (including yourself) sabotage your weight loss efforts. Don’t tell yourself that you cannot do this. If you need a friend, feel free to send a friend request and I will try to help you all I can.

I have included some before and after pictures. I hope you will be inspired and understand that if I can do this, you can too. Best wishes on your journey…

Before.jpg?t=1316019158
Before2.jpg?t=1316019107
After.jpg?t=1316019249
After2.jpg?t=1316019207

Replies

• Valechka
    Options
    great job!!
  • ajsimyan
    ajsimyan Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Way to go, you look incredible!!
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I couldn't see your pictures, but your story is very similar to mine and I love it! Keep up the great work...you will get there!
  • SweetCryss
    Options
    That is awesome. Keep up the hard work and dedication to your journey!!!!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I have no doubt that you will reach your goal!
  • loverachel18
    Options
    you look great! keep it up!
  • blondi28
    Options
    YOU ARE A TRUE INSPIRATION...CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB WELL DONE!
  • LissaP26
    LissaP26 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great job!! 86 pounds in a year is awesome!
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like your story. God Bless!!!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Keep it up!
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    O... M... G...
    You have to be so proud of yourself.
    You have done an amazing job with your weight loss. Congratulations.
    You are very inspirational.
    May the Lord continue to bless you in this journey and always.
    Great job!
  • Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You look so much happier and younger!
  • QTPye927
    Options
    WTG! You are an inspiration. :smile:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Great job! And God bless on even greater accomplishments in reclaiming your temple for God!
    And as an aside, I saw Collins, MS on your profile...I lived not far from there on the Jones County side of Hwy 588 during my first year of college at JCJC!
  • CamiXiomara
    Options
    Good for you!
  • elarvor
    elarvor Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic, well done!

I've been on MFP for a while now but only really buckled down and have been using it properly for a month now and the weight is coming off :-D. I love MFP and the fact that I can also use the app on my iPhone.

You should be really proud of yourself :-)
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Great job! I like how the before pics are real small and the afters are much bigger and in your face! Congrats to you and keep doing what you are doing!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!! You look FANTASTIC!! I hope to lose the rest of my weight after my baby is born. I have about 55 pounds or more to go yet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!