What's up with the BMI thingy in my tools tab

Options
It says I should be between 140 and 159. Does muscle play a part in this. I'm leaning out pretty good, but am worried getting to 159 is gonna make me a twig. I would have to lose another 35 lbs and I honestly thought I would ridiculously ripped at 185.

Replies

• theberg
    Options
    You have to remember that it is generic. My frame doesn't fit it. Its a good guide but worry about your body fat % instead.
  • jakecan4sure
    Options
    what body fat percentage should I be shooting for?
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have talked to a lot of medical professionals that have told me that if you are a man with a significant degree of muscle mass, a healthy BMI stretches up to about 27... so see where that would take u, and that might be a more accurate measurement
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    14-17% is generally considered "fit" for men, tho to have a "hot body" you might want to aim for 10-12%
  • jakecan4sure
    Options
    thanks, guys. I recalculated my BMI and it puts me at 175. it still sounds kinda light, but I'm resetting my goal. I'll monitor my body fat percentage and once I reach 10% I'll maintain.
  • Cokamo
    Options
    It's general, doesn't consider whether you are male or female, your body structure or you muscle mass...only 2 numbers...height and weight.

As a woman, I am aiming for a healthy BMI...but for a male, I think it would likely be unrealistic.
  • Even for women it's unreliable because it doesn't allow for a bust line either. I like the way the military calculates body fat because it uses 2-3 easy measurements and your height to determine the body fat % and seems pretty accurate for the people I know who have tried it.

Military Body Fat Calculator
    http://www.the-master-runner.com/military-body-fat-calculator.html