Who else has a lot to lose?

Options

Replies

• Goodgollygee
    Goodgollygee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 5'4", 307/295/150. One day at a time. Baby steps help me. Any little bit I can do or small healthy change I can make... is a step in the right direction. Today I'm going to make sure I get my water intake. I forget to drink enough water sometimes.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was unable to move much, if at all in the beginning. I just got a physical therapist a couple weeks ago, and when I had told him I had lost about 80 lbs but still have more to go he said, "That is really awesome news, I can't tell you how many people think that doing physical therapy and working out will have them lose weight. Nutrition is 80% of the weight picture." As a physical therapist, I bet he knows what he is talking about. In fact right now, 80 lbs down and I am just now starting physical therapy, should tell you how much I depend on moving like a normal healthy person does... yeah, so I don't. I hope some day, but maybe not. Not being able to exercise did not stop me from losing weight. But, I think people who are active like it a bunch, because it allows them to eat a smidge more than a non moving person - and that is a nice motivator if you can move. For me it wasn't even junk food that got me, it was oil. Specifically, the oil in cheese. F48 5'3" SW 277 in 2013 195 today. I haven't seen "onederland" since 1996 due to so many health crisis and nutritional ignorance. But I am here now. I did NOT believe it could be done. I don't think that is necessary for everyone, for many it is important to believe. I really showed up to MFP in the beginning because I did not want to gain any more weight. Goal accomplished!
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I don't think you were asking for advice but I will chime in. I have an issue with hives, and guess what stresses me out? Dieting! (past me of course) The issue that I bet emotional eaters have to contend with as well... 1) check out the many threads for the emotional eaters - this place is full of people who share their experience in this issue alone. 2) Check out the volume eaters thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p55#:~:text=Volume%20Eaters%20Thread..

Previously, if I started getting really hungry I would break out in hives. Things start getting worse from there as you can imagine. I could NOT have gotten this far without it some high quality volume eating. I now enjoy sitting down to a 2 gallon bowl of salad with some bolthouse dressing (all I want) with 90g turkey and onions, and cucumbers.. for 250 calories. I do this quite a bit actually.

I just really needed this thread. I was really really hungry today, so I sat down with my salad at lunch chomped down and feel soo full that I won't even consider eating food that isn't good for me (aka cheese that is outside of my calories). Previously, I just stalled out before I really started packing the veggies in every single dish that I ate. Tonight, it is going to be okra with whatever meat (truly don't care that much about meat). Not fried okra, because that is calorically ridiculous for a short punk like me that can't move. Hands down, this strategy of "volume eating" has saved me a ton of emotional stress. Because learning, and weighing is going to take time. But eating a ton of low calorie veggies is not. Shop for the you that needs food, don't stress her out she will just ask for more "bad" (calorically outside of your range) food and she will hate the whole spiral. I am actually caring for my nutrition instead of just eating whatever. Now when I eat - I am happy that I ate! I ate good stuff for me! That is the opposite of a downward spiral! A constant upward spiral!

For me looking at food as nutrition was super helpful, and I labeled things differently. Chips are basically "oil" which I can have very little tiny bit every single day, compared to what I was eating. When my calories for that day are low - I get out the 40g of doritos. I have to do this a couple of times per month. One person said when she looked at food as fuel she did better. Then look at it that way. However you are able to get good food that you will eat, do that so that the stress is less. My .000005 cents.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    It IS possible!
    We’re all here for you!

One day at a time.
  • Jem594
    Jem594 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started weight watchers 5 weeks ago. I have lost 9.6 lbs. I weigh 312.6 lbs currently. I am 5'2" and would like to get to my goal weight of 160 lbs. I have lost weight journaling my food and tracking calories in the past. I only plan on being with weight watchers for the 6 months I committed to. But need to ease back into MFP and continue to be serious. Anyway I would really use a group of friends to be my support system where we could all encourage eachother. Add me if interested.
    Elena from FL.

congrats on your loss!! keep going <3
  • KatLadyLove2
    KatLadyLove2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, started this weight loss journey about 3 weeks ago. It's been a little challenging at times; but, I'm motivated to get healthier. I have some physical limitations; but won't let that deter me.

My Stats:

Height: 6'0
    Starting date: (7/30/21)
    Starting weight: 299
    Current weight: 294.4
    Goal weight: 184
    Starting BMI: 40.5
    Current BMI: 39.9
    Goal BMI: 25.1
    Current daily calorie limit: 1800
    Current dietary: Maintain a calorie deficit, low carb
    Exercise goals: Walk/Exercise equivalent to 4,000 steps (a day) Aerobic exercise for beginners (10 minutes a day). Workout (6 days a week, 1 rest day)

Will increase workouts as I'm able to!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,142 Member
    Options
    Welcome @KatLadyLove2 and congrats on the process so far!
  • sokaina
    sokaina Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Height: 5 ft. 9 in.
    Starting date: January 28, 2021
    Starting weight: 293 lbs.
    Current weight: 237.4 (55.6 lbs. down)
    Goal weight: 168 (higher side of "normal" BMI)

Welcome.. sounds like you have a solid plan. I woke up one day inspired and I haven't looked back. Goal is to lose 125 pounds and I'm creeping closer to the half way point every day.

I mostly walk for exercise and have recently adjusted my target to 1.5 lbs/week as I seem to lose more than MFP projects even though I do diligently eat back my exercise calories.

At my 16 week mark I did my first controlled diet break eating at maintenance with good success and intend to do it after the next 16 weeks of dieting.

Good luck with your journey!

• sokaina
    Options
    Height: 5’1
    Start date: June
    Start weight: 210 lbs
    Current weight: 202 lbs
    Goal weight: 130-140 lbs

It’s been slow for me. I cut back sugar and have one small treat once a week. Cut down on carbs and doing 1500 calories a day. I either walk every day for about 40-80 mins a day or do Zumba at home. Any tips to help speed up the weight loss as I feel so discouraged sometimes.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,142 Member
    Options
    @sokaina congrats on your progress so far!

My only real tip is to eat at your calorie deficit consistently in whatever way is easiest for you (daily bank or weekly bank). I am very meticulous about weighing and tracking every bite so that I have a clear understanding of where I'm at.

While slow may feel painful, as best you can just focus on every 5 pound milestone.

I also find engaging a lot on the MFP community side of things in message boards, groups and challenges helps keep me engaged.

I also like listening to the Half Size Me podcast for tips on doing this sustainably.

Keep up the great work!
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Need new friends, lost weight with mfp before but need to get back at it
  • patriciafoley1
    patriciafoley1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    age 65
    height 5.4
    SW 6/1/21 212

8/1 189.8
    8/6 186.8
    8/7 186.4
    8/8 185.4
    8/21 184.6 Finally after ten days of plateau, had a small loss
    8/23 182.6 And finally the big loss after two weeks of plateau
    8/27 181.6

total weight loss since 8/1 8.2
    total weight loss since 6/1 30.4

I'd like to get to 150 by Jan1, and hopefully continue after that to get to 135 by June 1st, a year after I started. So far, I'm not finding it too hard, so long as the scale keeps dropping. It is only when it doesn't that it gets frustrating.
  • sokaina
    Options
    Age 40
    Height 5’
    Weight 205lbs

Been working out and eating better and cut out junk to once a week and that’s been 3
    Months and only lost 5 lbs. I walk 40-1.5 hours a day. Also if I don’t walk , I do Zumba for about 25-45 mins. My calorie intake is 1200-1500. I’ve cut back on carbs. I do however have alittle
    Rice or bread once in a while but not every day. I switched my rice with shiitake mushroom rice and bread with whole grain. Why am I not losing!?
  • wornoutmamabear
    wornoutmamabear Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @sokaina Maybe MFP is overestimating the calories you’re burning with exercise? Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • wornoutmamabear
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Another month down!

AUGUST STATS
    💪 Monthly goals: stay under 1900 calories per day, walk 2500 steps a day after surgery recovery
    Starting weight: 256.0
    💪 End-of-month weight: 248.4
    Starting BMI: 38.9 - Class 2 Obesity
    💪 End-of-month BMI: 37.8 - Class 2 Obesity
    Starting bust measurement: 49.5 in.
    💪 End-of-month bust measurement: 48.5 in.
    Starting waist measurement: 50 in.
    💪 End-of-month waist measurement: 47.5 in.
    Starting hips measurement: 55.5 in.
    💪 End-of-month hips measurement: 54 in.
    Starting bicep measurement: 19 in.
    💪 End-of-month bicep measurement: 18.5 in.
    Starting thigh measurement: 25 in.
    💪 End-of-month thigh measurement: 24 in.
    Starting neck measurement: 15.5 in.
    💪 End-of-month neck measurement: 15.25 in.
    Starting ring size (left ring finger): 6
    💪 End-of-month ring size: 6
    Starting dress size: 30W
    💪 End-of-month dress size: 26W
    -
    TOTAL month losses: 7.6 lbs., 6.75 in., 1.2 BMI, 2 dress size(s)

For September, I’m reducing my calories slightly to 1870 and trying to be more consistent about tracking my steps. Trying to get less discouraged by small plateaus and gains, since my overall trend is still consistently downward. Patience!
  • sokaina
    Options
    @wornoutmamabear i eat about 1100-1500 calories a day and I burn about 600-900 calories a day.
  • wornoutmamabear
    Options
    @sokaina Hmm. That’s only about 200-900 net calories a day for your body to function on, which isn’t nearly enough. And you’re still not losing? I’d definitely talk to a dietitian to get a healthy weight loss plan developed and a doctor to make sure you don’t have any underlying health issues. Good luck! ❤️