water stored in fat cells fact or myth??

2»

Replies

• I am not familiar with the water stored topic but i was once told that when a body loses inches and not weight that it is actually your body increasing muscle mass at he same time losing fat. Is that true?
    and i agree...scales to mock...lol...
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    I am not familiar with the water stored topic but i was once told that when a body loses inches and not weight that it is actually your body increasing muscle mass at he same time losing fat. Is that true?

DLynne here is an article that may help answer your question

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I am not familiar with the water stored topic but i was once told that when a body loses inches and not weight that it is actually your body increasing muscle mass at he same time losing fat. Is that true?

In a deficit is is most likely water weight and/or water/glycogen in your muscles.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    That is because water is more dense than fat
  • :smile:
  • technicalman
    technicalman Posts: 23 Member
    i've looked this up on actual medical and science websites that discuss it and the Woosh effect doesn't seem to be real. General chat websites seem to believe this as an effect. in my experience, the body retains a few lbs of water and loses water on a regular basis. one example is to weigh your self before bed and then weigh yourself in the morning. you can easily lose two lbs overnight, but you'll gain it back as your day starts and you eat and drink. women have more severe symptoms due to female specific things.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    I do IF 16:8 or 18:6 on top of Keto and keeping my calories low. In the first month I dropped 35lbs. This month I dropped between 5-10. But I am drinking 15 bottles of water a day, 6 right before bed to keep myself feeling full. When I wake upno weight has been lost according to the scale. But in reality, I am pretty sure because I am drinking so much water my body is showing that I havent lost weight when in reality its just the water I am holding. Whether or not thats true i am not sure but it helps me sleep better at night
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    i've looked this up on actual medical and science websites that discuss it and the Woosh effect doesn't seem to be real. General chat websites seem to believe this as an effect. in my experience, the body retains a few lbs of water and loses water on a regular basis. one example is to weigh your self before bed and then weigh yourself in the morning. you can easily lose two lbs overnight, but you'll gain it back as your day starts and you eat and drink. women have more severe symptoms due to female specific things.

Yes, it's a zombie thread. 🙄 2013, for heaven's sake.

Research assessment wise, here's a question: How big were the studies? How long? Got any cites?

Anecdotally, here, *some* people report whoosh-style loss, some people report never having seen a personal whoosh (I'm one of the latter). If you had my back to a wall, I'd *guess* that it's a minority of people here who've reported having routine whooshes (i.e., more than once or twice kind of thing). If something is happening in a smaller population sub-group, or sometimes but not always, you need a larger study or a longer one to observe it at a statistically significant level.

Your list of possible reasons for water weight shifts is quite incomplete, but I think you realize that (others may not).

Just for the sake of argument, let's say you're right, and fat cells don't hold water then suddenly release it. Let's say the people who observe whoosh phenomena in themselves are misattributing the causes.

Do you dispute their observed phenomena, think they're misrepresenting that their weight held steady for a surprising length of time, then suddenly dropped, didn't rise to the previous high again as long as they kept weight-loss effort compliance? Deceiving themselves? Lying, even?

If they're accurately reporting their observed phenomena, then I think telling other people about their observations on a weight loss site is potentially helpful, to encourage others to keep going through phases of unusual water retention or digestive contents fluctuations or whatever . . . even if they're regrettably misattributing the underlying mechanisms. (It would be better to understand the mechanisms accurately, too, if they're not, of course.)

Also, FWIW, a chunk of your fat weight is lost overnight, through exhalates, though it's usually not enough to show up clearly on the home scale. All of what you lost overnight doesn't come back when you eat/drink, in that sense, if you stay on track. It just takes a while for the very gradual fat loss to stop playing peek-a-boo on the scale with water/waste.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Never heard this in biology. How is water forced into a fat cell? What chemical process caused it? Where's an study showing it actually happening or is this hypothesis?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Never heard this in biology. How is water forced into a fat cell? What chemical process caused it? Where's an study showing it actually happening or is this hypothesis?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not advocating whether science or folklore, just offering the most common article on the subject (not definitive) that I've seen linked here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

. . . and I've seen that linked, or the idea discussed, multiple times. Many, even.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,869 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think a lot of this talk is when the body makes triglycerides. I remember reading something about this quite a few years ago and googled this.

three fatty acids to a glycerol backbone in a dehydration reaction forms triacylglycerol. Three water molecules release in the process.

https://psu.pb.unizin.org/biol110/chapter/lipids/#:~:text=Joining three fatty acids to a glycerol backbone,in the triacylglycerol may be similar or dissimilar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member

So you are arguing both that whooshes aren't real but that women have them?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited August 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Research assessment wise, here's a question: How big were the studies? How long? Got any cites?

Anecdotally, here, *some* people report whoosh-style loss, some people report never having seen a personal whoosh (I'm one of the latter). If you had my back to a wall, I'd *guess* that it's a minority of people here who've reported having routine whooshes (i.e., more than once or twice kind of thing). If something is happening in a smaller population sub-group, or sometimes but not always, you need a larger study or a longer one to observe it at a statistically significant level.

Your list of possible reasons for water weight shifts is quite incomplete, but I think you realize that (others may not).

Just for the sake of argument, let's say you're right, and fat cells don't hold water then suddenly release it. Let's say the people who observe whoosh phenomena in themselves are misattributing the causes.

Do you dispute their observed phenomena, think they're misrepresenting that their weight held steady for a surprising length of time, then suddenly dropped, didn't rise to the previous high again as long as they kept weight-loss effort compliance? Deceiving themselves? Lying, even?

If they're accurately reporting their observed phenomena, then I think telling other people about their observations on a weight loss site is potentially helpful, to encourage others to keep going through phases of unusual water retention or digestive contents fluctuations or whatever . . . even if they're regrettably misattributing the underlying mechanisms. (It would be better to understand the mechanisms accurately, too, if they're not, of course.)

Also, FWIW, a chunk of your fat weight is lost overnight, through exhalates, though it's usually not enough to show up clearly on the home scale. All of what you lost overnight doesn't come back when you eat/drink, in that sense, if you stay on track. It just takes a while for the very gradual fat loss to stop playing peek-a-boo on the scale with water/waste.

The last few nights I’ve woken up earlier than usual. Out of curiosity I weighed myself. And have weighed the same as the scale said the day before. Then went to bed for a couple more hours, and weighed myself again when I woke up, and have been about three or four ounces lighter each time.

I only used the bathroom before the first weight, so that wasn’t it.

Anyhow. Here to report, it’s weird. But it seems to be a thing.

kh1vtrydp0sf.jpeg
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,386 Member
    I can't offer any articles because I don't have access to scientific papers anymore. There were a couple of papers a few years ago discussing the effect of salt on our bodies and on the amount of fluid taken in and peed out. Just as a side note there were a few lines on glycocorticoid cycles and the ability of our bodies to store more water and to release it in regular intervals. The more salt you ate the more subdued those cycles were I think. Thus there seems to be some natural whoosh'age going on, and depending on how much salt you ate they might show up or not.

Being in a calorie deficit and maybe watching food more I wonder if some people naturally eat less salt and bring out those whooshes, Or that they'd normally not notice them. Being mostly in maintenance for years I know that I whoosh very regularly, regardless of deficit or not.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I have 'wooshed' most of the year I've been doing weight and the timing of those was really consistent:
    a-) I start my period.
    b-) I eat either at or above maintenance for a couple of days.
    Either one of those will prompt a fast drop in scale weight. In fact for a larger portion of the time I was losing the only real time I saw the scale move was a few days after my period, when I'd drop several pounds in a go and then maintain at the new lower weight (with typical fluctuations).

However at a lower weight I don't really woosh all that dramatically.

And. Nothing says that the water weight I drop is being stored in fat cells. Just that it's SOMEWHERE.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    I've wondered if the whoosh experience correlates to how lean a person is. It seems like, anecdotally, MFP posters have lost significant weight (>20 lb) before experiencing their first whoosh. Unsure.

My experience is like that of @wunderkindking, and good point about where the water weight comes from.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

The last few nights I’ve woken up earlier than usual. Out of curiosity I weighed myself. And have weighed the same as the scale said the day before. Then went to bed for a couple more hours, and weighed myself again when I woke up, and have been about three or four ounces lighter each time.

I only used the bathroom before the first weight, so that wasn’t it.

Anyhow. Here to report, it’s weird. But it seems to be a thing.

kh1vtrydp0sf.jpeg

Keep in mind that you're also sweating (perhaps imperceptibly) and that exhalates include water. (Part of fat is lost as water, in effect, because water's one of the combustion products. Around 16% is water, 84% is carbon dioxide.)

Most of overnight weight loss is water. Some of that water was drunk, or was eaten in food. Some of it was the product of fat combustion. Relative proportion of those sources of exhaled/sweated-out water will vary with conditions, things like room temperature and humidity, etc.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/12/16/371210831/when-you-burn-off-that-fat-where-does-it-go

Bodies are weird.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I've wondered if the whoosh experience correlates to how lean a person is. It seems like, anecdotally, MFP posters have lost significant weight (>20 lb) before experiencing their first whoosh. Unsure.

My experience is like that of @wunderkindking, and good point about where the water weight comes from.

I think it's hard to tell with the timing/starting weight and it's impact - because most people drop water weight when first starting to lose weight, as part of things. It's part of what makes that first loss bigger than usual. So does it then require longer and a higher weight to 'woosh' (if someone is going to) or is it just a matter of taking longer for the body to get stressed from being at a deficit and hang ON to water via cortisol, or is the timing just funny looking because they start with a woosh fairly rapidly, or -???

Basically echoing Ann - Bodies are weird.