Soda

Has anyone lost weight by just cutting soda out? And how much did you lose? Trying to start with small goals. Just curious if anyone else had results.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    No, not just soda

But one of the things I did when starting to lose weight was swap regular soda to diet versions.

If you are drinking enough soda such that quitting it or changing to diet is enough to bring you into a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if you dont trade those calories for other calories than sure, you would.

i switched regular soda (dr pepper) for diet coke (didnt like diet dr pepper). but i also drastically changed out MUCH i ate, so weight loss could have been attributed to soda reduction, but probably was most likely attributed to OVERALL calorie reduction.
  • azuki
    azuki Posts: 38 Member
    if you dont trade those calories for other calories than sure, you would.

i switched regular soda (dr pepper) for diet coke (didnt like diet dr pepper). but i also drastically changed out MUCH i ate, so weight loss could have been attributed to soda reduction, but probably was most likely attributed to OVERALL calorie reduction.

they have dr pepper zero sugar, it’s really good
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited August 2021
    2021KW1991 wrote: »
    Has anyone lost weight by just cutting soda out? And how much did you lose? Trying to start with small goals. Just curious if anyone else had results.

I have a relative who switched from regular to diet soda and that change by itself halted her weight gain (she drinks quite a bit of soda.) She's still overweight, but maintaining that is better than gaining more. I'm an occasional diet soda drinker and find regular soda to be much too sweet.

Everyone starts somewhere. I think quitting/reducing/switching to diet soda is a fairly easy first step for a lot of people. If you want to know if that by itself will work for you, honestly assess how much soda you drink now and calculate how many calories it is. One pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories. If you kept everything else as is, how long would it take to reach 3500 calories with your typical soda consumption?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    There are 250 calories in a 20 ounce regular Coke. Switching out for Diet Coke with not other changes in diet/exercise will give around .5 lb weight loss a week.

Eliminating regular soda is one of the biggest bang for the buck weight loss tactics one can do.
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    I did way back in college, 36 years ago. I drank so much Mt. Dew. 7-Eleven and the Big Gulp were my best friend. I put on the dreaded Freshman 15. Towards the end of my freshman year I completely stopped Mt. Dew and all soda and dropped most of the weight I gained. I did not change any eating habits, just the soda.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Well it depends on what kind of soda you drank and how much. If you drink 6 cans of soda at 120 calories per can, that's 720 calories not consumed if you stopped. If you drank 6 cans of diet soda at 0 calories, well you're really not going to lose any weight if you still ate the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    There are 250 calories in a 20 ounce regular Coke. Switching out for Diet Coke with not other changes in diet/exercise will give around .5 lb weight loss a week.

Eliminating regular soda is one of the biggest bang for the buck weight loss tactics one can do.

This is presuming consumption of 1 can per day.

And still wouldn't result in weight loss if 250 calories less wasn't enough to bring you into a deficit.

It might just like PP's relative, reduce pace of weight gain.

( although I agree cutting regular soda is good bang for calorie buck )
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I havent cut it out completely, but I have swapped out larger cans or 20 oz bottles for the tiny 8 oz cans.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I quit drinking soda(pop, here). It was a trigger food for me. The hyper sweet taste made me crave cookie and candy. It also made naturally sweet foods taste bad. It upset my stomach so that I had to eat something when drinking it. I drank water and unsweetened ice tea while going through caffeine withdrawals. Most people find it easier to switch to diet pop from regular. But I needed to remove all pop before I could make meaningful changes to my personal diet. Your experience may prove different.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Yes. I don’t know.
    I stopped coke, started eating more, and lost 60 pounds. I don’t really think coke was the only thing for the whole 60 pounds. I started there and tried to eat healthier, tried to exercise, felt better so just moved more naturally during the day. It all helped.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    I lost 15 pounds by making two small changes to my diet. Neither was sofa because I didn’t drink much of it previously either.
    My two small changes were:
    1) swapping the proportions on my breakfast to reduce cereal and increase yogurt
    2) reduced the size (tried to eliminate - that was too big of a change) my after dinner/before bed snack (you know, that 8:30-9:30pm snack).
    It took about 6 months.

My suggestion: Try it. What is the worst thing than would happen?
    You might even find that you like the alternatives.

Good luck
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I drink 4-6 liters of diet coke a week.

I've lost weight fine. It is not a 'trigger' to other sweet eating for me but more a replacement of it.

You could not pay me to drink that many calories in regular soda though.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    I went from gaining weight to maintenance doing nothing but cutting soda. To lose weight I had to cut back a bit more on the pizza.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member

I cut soda out, I drank 8 to ten cans a day. My Mom cut soda out she drank about six a day. Both of us only drink water now. Neither one of us lost more than 2lbs just from cutting soda. Then we cut almost all carbs and added exercise and fasting now im down 40 she is down 15
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Not just soda but when I started I started small. For instance I stopped buying lunch at the cafe at work and instead brought a sandwich and bought reduced fat chips. Cut calories by at least 300 for that one meal. I did cut out the wine during the week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

That's pretty much how I lost my first 20 Lbs. I was drinking about a 6 pack of regular Mt Dew daily and cutting that out eliminated 720 calories per day.