40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• navjhaj
    Options
    navjhaj, can you ride a bike? I have bad knees and it seems that peddling is easier on them than most exercises. Also, you can exercise in water.

Yes, I ride my trainer. I actually try to do sprints on it, 10-15-20-30 minutes, go all out. I agree that bike riding is the best.

Before my injury, I was actually training for an Iron Man, having already done the century ride and the marathon individually, I figured, how much could it be to add a swim? :) As I found out, very very hard, much harder than the other two.

Anyway, after my injury, I can't really run extended distances any more, my knee won't take it.

Paradoxically, I am only alive today (I was in a bike accident, got hit by a truck and a car door) because, at the time, I had very good cardiovascular fitness. (I wound up losing like 30 units of blood, and given that the typical body only has 8-9, it clearly wasn't even mine to lose).

Now, a few years latter, following a period of being in a wheelchair, crutches, and extensive physical rehab, I found myself very much inactive, having put on weight and lost muscle. Paradoxically, I can still go to the gym and kill the elliptical for like 2 hours straight, bringing 2000 calories.

But I couldn't control my eating. So, now I'm trying this website, and it's working pretty well. I don't really have gym access anymore, and I need to find stuff I can do at home. I still have my heavy bag and heavy bag stand, but I gotta figure out how to transport it to my house.

Anyway, for me, I need to get back to the fitness I was at many years ago. It's what saved my life, and what will prevent greater problems as I get older.

Sorry for the verbiage, I'm new here, just telling you my story. Cheers!

But
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I usually wait till the weekend, but weighed myself this morning since I've been feeling hungrier than usual lately. I'm now at 166.8 lbs, that's 0.8 lbs less than just this past weekend. I find this slightly annoying and at the same time humorous because it is annoying, lol...guess I'll up my daily net calorie goal another 50 cals, maybe more in a couple days as well. I want to make sure I am providing enough fuel for my muscles to benefit and recover from my strength workouts...without getting fat again :D

Weight Training Day: DB Squats, DB Overhead Press, DB Glute Bridges

*alf: Hello!

*Becky: hope that does the trick for your daughter's finger!

*Lady Persia: I hope you will take pics of the yard when it is all done and share them with us
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I was searching the message boards and saw your group. I was excited to see a group for 40+, as I just recently turned 48, so I'm most def. 40+, lol. I'm starting my third week of Insanity, and boy is it kicking my butt :happy: I'm involved in a BB group on FB, and I love it, but most of the members are about 25-30, and I just think sometimes I have different issues....takes me longer to build up stamina, and to lose weight, etc. Just wanted to pop by and say "hi"!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome Mmeyer36. Glad to have you hear. There are others in this thread who are doing Insanity. I am not one of them.:bigsmile: I am also 40+ a whole lot +. I am 60.

Chris, I know that women can go up and down a few ounces. Mainly due to the monthly thing. But, I would imagine this would be normal for anyone.

navjhaj, wow, what a story. You are lucky to be alive. Makes me think about the safety of riding. I do wear a helmet now. We have bike trails all around our town. I prefer them as there isn't any traffic.

I am not happy with the amount of calories I have been burning. Yesterday was water class where I only burned 195. Tonight I had the strength class and burned even less. I really need to get moving.
  • trixie5059
    trixie5059 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Evening Everyone

Chris; Thanks for the support.....It's true, I know what I have to do and how....I just have to do it.

Welcome everyone new! I do find great inspiration here, and need to find more time to keep up with it. I used to go to the gym regularly and cycle to work everyday. I adopted a wonderful son ( he is 12 now) 3 years ago, and my life changed. I have gained too much weight and haven't worked out at all.
    I really want to change that and feel healthier for both of us. I eat fairly clean, but waaaaay too much, so tracking here has been an eye opener for me. I hardly ever drank water, but Lady Persia is changing that.....she is highly motivating.
    With everyone's talk of workouts....I feel the need to start somewhere........I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for listening,
    Mila
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Today was our last warm day for a while. Tomorrow is supposed to be cool and showery. The our daytime highs will be in the 60s for a few days. I guess I'll have to do my cardio indoors tomorrow. I really like exercising outdoors. It's not boring like machines.

Swiss, we got over 9 inches of rain last week! Some areas got well over a foot of rain, hence the massive flooding of the rivers.

Alf, glad to see you again. I though you had a "senior" moment and forgot where we were! :laugh:

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,792 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Great to see so many posts. Wish I had time to respond to everybody, but I'm having one of those busy weeks! But I'm reading it all, and really appreciate all of the input, ideas and such. I find so much inspiration here!

All here is going well. I've been working out hard this week with my Insanity/Asylum rotation. I've added strength training to it, and that is going well. I'm just adding those session in after the cardio I'm doing, so it works well. I generally prefer to do my strength training before cardio but since my primary focus right now is on the Insanity/Asylum rotation, I'm letting it take precedence right now in case I run out of time/energy/whatever.

Swissmiss, I'm glad your daughter's finger looks to be doing all right. I'm glad she saw a doctor and, hopefully, the pain will end soon.

singfree, we're in for some cooler temps as well this weekend, and I'm okay with that. It has been somewhat sticky here this week because of all of the rain we've had. But I don't consider 70+ to be too cool, so it sounds perfect to me!

Enjoy the day!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: stiring, so glad to see you again. I have always hear that if we are doing both strength training and cardio that the strength training should come first. I guess this is so you will not be too tire to lift weights after a cardio workout.

sing, we are also enjoying some cooler temps. About the same as yours. Did you break the record for rain?

:flowerforyou: Mila, just a suggestion...get your son involved in your workouts. Ride bikes with him, show him the proper way to use weights and if he is agreeable..dance around with him (most boys would have a problem with the last one.:laugh: ) This way you are spending time with him plus the both of you will stay in shape.

I am doing quite well. Since I got serious about losing, I am down 5 pounds.:bigsmile:
  • aliceguy
    aliceguy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi, great to see a thread for someone in my age bracket, here I was getting frustrated with 25 year olds complaining about their body. Wait until they see mine, then they will have something to complain about.....hahaha
    Anyway, lets keep this going, cheers from the middle of Australia

10007308.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    Dandersonjr32, sounds like you had a wonderful summer. I would love to eat at one of Mario Batali's restaurant. I don't live close to any of the FoodNetwork's chef's restaurant. Really I would like to eat at Emerils. And, a trip to New Orleans would be fun.

I have a friend who ate at Emeril's in Orlando and wasn't all that impressed. I've eat at Wolfgang Pucks in Orlando and I was very impressed.

We ate at Lupa in the West Villiage / Flatiron District and it was spectacular. I had the homemade pasta with lump crab meat, cream sauce and jalapeno chili. Dawn had the ricotta gnocchi with a pork ragu. Wow. After that it was Sweet Revenge for gourmet cupcakes paired with beer.
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    "Fist pump, push ups, chap stick! Fist pump, push ups, chap stick!"

It is Jersday today!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Dandersonjr32, it all sounded great until I got the the beer and cupcakes. :laugh: Next time I am in Florida, I will have to travel to Orlando.

aliceguy, welcome aboard. Some of us are quite a bit older than 40. Myself included.:bigsmile: I can remember feeling bad about my body when I was in my 20s. Oh my, I weighed 30 pounds less and was really too thin. I had also had two bablies. The third baby caused me to gain weight. And it has snowballed since.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning--great to see so many posts!

Melissa -welcome! glad you are joining us. Congrats on your first post! It was hard for me to post anywhere the first time--and that was over a year ago, and it will gets easier as you get to know us. I started strength exercises back in January and it took me a few months too to see any visible evidence that something was happening, but eventually I became convinced that it was--- I think you'll start seeing it sometime soon ---patience is essential.

Danderson--nice to see someone else who loves food as much as I do. One thing that drives me crazy about people who are "dieting" is that they think they have to starve themselves or only eat salads and cut out wine. MFP really opened my eyes to the opposite. Still enjoy the things you love, but you have to think about ways to fit it in, and then when you do, you balance the other meals accordingly. It does work and deprivation is not necessary.

navj-- welcome. thanks for telling us your story. that accident and recovery sounds terrifying. it's so amazing that you are here and trying hard to figure out which piece of the exercise puzzle will work for you. We'll be happy to listen and hopefully help. Your story hits home directly as I just lost my father (only 67) to a bicycle accident in June. We do not know if it was medical or if he was hit by someone--but the outcome was awful nonetheless, so I'm a little unsure about how to view bicycling and if it will ever fit into my life or my son's life.....

Aliceguy--glad you found us!

Anyway, not much new to report here. Workouts have been basically the same although I have been getting in some longer hikes because we have been doing some mushroom hunting. YUM!. We have been finding black trumpets, hen of the woods, king boletes (porcini), lobser and oyster mushrooms, so every night has been a feast. Unfortunately we also found a yellow-jackets nest over the weekend and were all hunted down and stung about 6-7x in the process. Not fun..it has been a slightly itchy week since. I'm still dodging house painters--the 1 week job seems to have turned into a 3 week job (I'm guessing...). I put a sheet up on a window in one room so I can do my No More Trouble Zones, but have been trying to keep it outside on the other days

Hi to everyone else I haven't mentioned--so great to see all the updates! Enjoy the day! Robin
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Hi all! Welcome new people. I love hearing everyone's stories and information about where they live.

Swiss: congrats on the 5 lb weight loss. Glad your daughter's finger is better.

I did my fourth cycle.yoga class last night. It is the hardest thing I have ever done. I thought my balance was pretty good until trying this yoga stuff on one leg! I need to keep practicing during the week. I have already signed up for the next six week session. There is a Saturday morning cycle class which I am checking out as well.

It was in the 60s here in north Texas this morning. We even had a little tiny bit of rain. Hopefully the weather will continue on the better side. They are saying we won't get any significant rain until maybe December. I wish you all in the north east could send the water to Alf and me!

Leaving this afternoon for a quick business trip to Minneapolis. Will be back in Dallas tomorrow night. Low in Minneapolis is going to be in the upper 30's tonight. Yea!

Take care all! TxMs
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    Danderson--nice to see someone else who loves food as much as I do. One thing that drives me crazy about people who are "dieting" is that they think they have to starve themselves or only eat salads and cut out wine. MFP really opened my eyes to the opposite. Still enjoy the things you love, but you have to think about ways to fit it in, and then when you do, you balance the other meals accordingly. It does work and deprivation is not necessary.

Anyway, not much new to report here. Workouts have been basically the same although I have been getting in some longer hikes because we have been doing some mushroom hunting. YUM!. We have been finding black trumpets, hen of the woods, king boletes (porcini), lobser and oyster mushrooms, so every night has been a feast. Unfortunately we also found a yellow-jackets nest over the weekend and were all hunted down and stung about 6-7x in the process. Not fun..it has been a slightly itchy week since. I'm still dodging house painters--the 1 week job seems to have turned into a 3 week job (I'm guessing...). I put a sheet up on a window in one room so I can do my No More Trouble Zones, but have been trying to keep it outside on the other days

Thanks, and I couldn't agree more. Just do what you do and deal with it. If you head into the city know that you're going to sacrifice before / after the trip to 'pay' for the caloric-ally heavy meals.

For me, food is life. It nourishes me and is among the top five great experiences I have. I remember great meals like I remember the birth of a child, and how many conversations do you have where you say, "Remember when we went to Texas-De-Brazil and had that Flank Steak on the skewer? Amazing."

I would love to go wild mushroom hunting. That has to be so cool. Unfortunately the only mushrooms we have the Jersey Shore are growing next to the Parkway.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For me, food is life. It nourishes me and is among the top five great experiences I have. I remember great meals like I remember the birth of a child, and how many conversations do you have where you say, "Remember when we went to Texas-De-Brazil and had that Flank Steak on the skewer? Amazing."

I have a few like that too. Like the garlic roasted dungeness crab at Crustacean in San Francisco. That is a meal I still dream about! :love:
  • trixie5059
    trixie5059 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks Swissmiss for the suggestions....my son is extremely active, always outside. We have cycled together, but unfort. he has messed up both his bikes, so we will have to wait until next year for that. We do compete with the wii as well. He probably would love to do weights, but I am not ready for that at home, and he is too young for the gym. He is a complete skateboarder, and I am just too old for that.

I actually pulled out my indoor bike and decided to start with that for a few weeks until I get back into it. I will be lucky if I can do 20 minutes on it,
    Plan to start on it tomorrow morning, will let you know how it goes.....

Mila
  • MarlynnM
    Options
    So nice to find a group who is where I am in life. It's harder to lose weight this time. :-( In my twenties, I skipped dinner and lost 10 lbs. In my thirties, I had to skip two meals that week and work out a little. Gosh, now I can't even figure out what to do. Skipping meals is not an option anymore, I have to keep my blood sugars level or I binge. I feel like maybe now I'm learning to eat healthy and hoping the weight loss and fitness come right along with new changes in eating and lifestyle. The kids are grown, so it's just the hubby and myself. Feel free to friend me!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Mila, 20 minutes is a good start. Let us know how the cycling goes.

:flowerforyou: MarlynnM, I still have two girls living a home. But, I have found that if just my husband and I are at home, we eat better. For instance...tonight one of the girls is at work and the other is watching her friend's ballgame. My husband and I are having chicken breasts. Ok...mine will be baked and his fried, but still better than pizza that the girls would want.

:flowerforyou: tladame, good to see you. Have you been away? Missed seeing your posts.

:flowerforyou: TxMs, I have hardly any balance. Others in my classes (and I mean those the same age as I) seem to be able to do the exercises on one leg and keep standing upright. I am hoping that the strength class will help with that.

During most of the day, I feel good about myself. I feel healthy and think that I look rather good. BUT, put me in front of a mirror covering the entire wall and have me wear my dance clothes and I look fat. I have to get rid of weight I am carrying from my waist up.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Happy TGIF!!!!! Only 7 more hours until I'm finished for the weekend.

It's really cool here. It was 47 degrees as I was driving to work tonight. Tomorrow will be in the mid 60s. It's gonna be a cool one at the German Club tomorrow night. We are still outdoors in the "Bier Garten". BTW, Oktoberfest starts on Saturday in Munich!!! Wish I was there. Actually, I will be there in 8 months. Can't wait!

Friday check in: A pretty good week for me. I kept my diet in check for the most part and my exercise has been strong and consistent. I am happy about that!

Swiss, I think we have already reached or exceeded our annual rainfall total in eastern PA.

Stiring, glad to hear about the cooler temps in DC. Our friends from Arlington are coming up here tomorrow for a visit and go to the German Club with us. We told them to wear something warm!!

Robin, did you have any problems with the flooding in VT?

Have a great weekend!