"PEAR SHAPED!" Upper body thin, lower body.. not so thin.

Options
Hi MFP! So for the past 3 months, with eating much healthier and going to the gym mainly focusing on cardio and light weights for 3 times a week.. I have lost weight, but i'm not so happy with my lower body. It's like my upper body is way thinner than my bottom! I believe I naturally have hips, although that could be thinner.. as well as my THIGHS!! I know you cannot spot reduce.. but geeze, I would think my lower body would be more slimmer by now since my upper body is already thin.. I need some tips or any advice that has helped anyone with the same type of "pear shaped body" as they would call it.

So far my cardio has been consisting of the elliptical (interval course) and I do light weights.. and I think I need to start making more effort on the treadmill again, I heard the treadmill can help lose fat off your stomach and thighs as well? Do any of you recommend HIIT - intervals such as brisk walking on a high incline then jogging on low incline? I am definitely not a runner..

And does anyone have tips as far as getting rid of LOWER belly fat? I have this little pooch on my lower belly that won't seem to go away lol! :(

Replies

• futurefitgirl88
    Options
    HIIT is definately great :) I'm a pear shaped as well.... and working on it! however..if you reduce your body fat %....the fat from the thigh's have to eventually come off right?? :)

I'm starting to like my shape better now....
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am also pear shaped. Even as a rail thin teenager, I have always had hips and a butt. I started taking a pilates mat class last month and that has made a HUGE difference. I am not losing weight fast (but I only have 2 pounds until goal anyway) but I am losing inches like nobody's business. Without much weight change my pants have gone from fitting to downright loose. Pilates works on your core muscles- mainly abs and back- and has made such a huge difference already. Prior to starting my class, I was doing strictly cardio. I still do cardio most days of the week but now added pilates 2x/week.
  • christina000
    Options
    I don't have any advice since I am not a pear. I just wanted to say, pears are my favorite body type asthetically. :) I'm sure you look great as you are!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz just had a show on that today. Check it out. The Body Dilemma diet.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i personally think pear shapes are the prettiest shape.. nothing like woman with a small waist and big hips!
  • babypanda95
    Options
    If you find a way that works please let me know. Im pear shaped and not loving it too much.