12 hour shifts?

Options
Hello, I do 12 hour shifts and usually walk around 18,000 steps a day, 3/4 days a week. (I clip the mini Fitbit onto my knickers so it doesn’t take into account heart rate etc) and I think it over compensates my calories back as they’re not strenuous steps but rather just walking between residents etc... I eat a lot on my shifts as I’m drained but then on my days off I’m also extremely tired and do hardly any exercise. I’ve been in this job 5 months and have slowly put on weight and I’m still struggling to find a routine.

Anyone have a good routine in place and are losing weight whilst doing 12 hour shifts?

Replies

• boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking during your shifts?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,369 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot on my shifts as I’m drained ...

Eating "a lot" during 12-hr shifts where you're constantly on the move can mean wildly different things. Are you eating a cookie or cupcake every time you start walking? Munching on carrot sticks whenever you stop? Eating every five minutes or every hour? Your calorie consumption could vary from a couple hundred to a couple thousand, depending how you answer these questions, and that will greatly impact your progress.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Based on your steps, you are very active. You must be consuming a lot of calories to be gaining weight. I would start by logging your food. Maybe even bring a small scale to work or plan and bring your meals from home.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If you are a nurse, like my amazing sister-in-law, then I can already thank you for your had work! I don't think it's particularly fair to make nurses or anyone else do an active on-your-feet job for 12 hours straight, and I'm not really sure where it came from. We don't make auto workers do it anymore, so why nurses or anyone else?

That said, I would guess, from the various 12 hour stints that I've done from time to time, that the best approach is to plan all your eating in advance, packing all your foods and snacks. Then you do your best to eat these foods on your predefined schedule. You just have to have one important rule: No other foods! (Except maybe tea and coffee.)

Then you can focus on your job while at work, whatever it is. Best of luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting / food logging is really going to be helpful to see your eating patterns and where you can cut back.

You might find that working to a weekly calorie budget fits your needs better than trying to eat the same every day. Eating more on working days and less on days off might be more sustainable for you.

I did 12hr shifts for years and didn't have a problem on day shifts in regulating my food but did on night shifts, eating to compensate for being tired and sleep deprived didn't actually work, I was still tired and sleep deprived.....
  • millie123moops
    millie123moops Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! All very valid points! I don’t feel like I’m very active at all, my steps aren’t power walks they are literally baby steps and I never break a sweat. I think my problem is not moving on my days off in addition to my food choices whilst at work (lots of biscuits, chocolate for the sugar hit).... with your comments I’ve already found ways to change!

I feel I’ve made a lot of excuses over the past 5 months because I’ve not felt like myself (I’m in a completely new job now, very long hours, too tired to go out anywhere) but i feel more in control now knowing there’s just a few things I need to bring the reigns in on
  • Nicole_Darling00
    Nicole_Darling00 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hours night shift as a nurse. I definitely plan my meals/calories ahead of time and usually don’t eat during my shift. If I’m not able to fit my calories in, I’ll bring a snack to work and try to have it before midnight, but a lot of times that doesn’t happen!! Planning and prepping meals in advance is key.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    I work 12-hour rotating shifts and I bring a small cooler that I keep in the passenger seat of my vehicle: pre-logged meal, a snack (or 2), and something like Mio/Crystal Light to add to my water bottle.
  • jayenguk
    jayenguk Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse also and do long shifts but mine are only 10 hours, it is hard but planning is the key take in all your food and snacks..as for the gym it is hard to motivate yourself so try to go on your days off earlier is better as you tend to have more energy then and then you can relax for the day, weirdly enough the more you go to the gym the more energy you get?. As for the walking ...any exercise is good for you and walking will be burning off calories so don't ever think its not active. As for it being a new job ..that is exhausting lots to learn and settle in and get used to the long days it takes a while for your body to adjust to longer day working. you can do this!
  • jdbly3373
    jdbly3373 Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thank you everyone! All very valid points! I don’t feel like I’m very active at all, my steps aren’t power walks they are literally baby steps and I never break a sweat. I think my problem is not moving on my days off in addition to my food choices whilst at work (lots of biscuits, chocolate for the sugar hit).... with your comments I’ve already found ways to change!

I feel I’ve made a lot of excuses over the past 5 months because I’ve not felt like myself (I’m in a completely new job now, very long hours, too tired to go out anywhere) but i feel more in control now knowing there’s just a few things I need to bring the reigns in on

Could you just try to eat healthier and limit sweets ( junk food) to maybe 1 time a week max? Do you feel like you would be able to exercise a little on your days off even if you start slow and not hurt yourself or anything? Its hard to balance getting enough calories with healthy eating on a physically demanding job. I have problems with it myself. I've felt horrible because I didn't eat enough. Nutrition is important too. Its possible you are neglecting some nutrients that would make it easier to gain weight and make you more hungry. Taking vitamins and having protein first thing is really important for me. I find my own fruit and nut mixes are good to take to work for some healthy fats.