Loose Skin...Help!

Options
Hi All,

I lost about 90 lbs since January and I'm having some trouble with loose belly skin and upper arms. For those of you that have lost a lot of weight how long did it take for the skin to tighten up and is there anything that you did that helped?

I've been exercising and building the muscle underneath but it's still really wrinkly and flabby.

Replies

• Goddess111682
    Goddess111682 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking or eating foods with high protein helps shrink the skin! Find a Protein shake you like! and go for it!
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Stretched out skin is stretched out skin. Especially if you have stretch marks, there isn't much you can do about it without surgery. I'm in the same boat and it sucks!
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I heard from a dear friend on here that if you wear spanx (one-size smaller) while you work out it helps a great deal and she lost almost 200 pounds and looks absolutely great and she has 3 kids! I'm getting me either a spanx or ardyss soon...cause I've lost over 70 pounds...
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have been told hydration helps a lot. Drink a ton of water and find a really good moisturizer for your skin. People swear by cocoa butter, too... the real stuff, not the watered down lotion version. Stuff with vitamin e, tea tree, and aloe oils in them supposedly work, too.

Think about it like a rubber band - the dry, crusty one never returns back to the original shape, but the gummy, hydrated one does.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use a lotion with cocoa & Shea butter and I haven't noticed much loose skin. Including mfp weight I've lost a total of 73 lbs.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I have lost 85 lbs since last july , and I am having the same problem. It has started firming up some in the last couple of months. Keep working out , do some weights, buy some spandex ( it cants hurt), and get a protein shake. remember it takes time for the skin to catch up.......
  • ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll try the protein shakes and the Spanx, couldn't hurt right?
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bio oil helps with strechmarks and helps create an even skin tone
  • JakkiAtherstone
    Options
    I have some Bio Oil that I bought when I was pregnant and I think I used a teaspoon of it. If you'd like it, it is yours! :) Like you said, "Can't hurt."
  • BRISAjustAltered
    BRISAjustAltered Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've lost 76lb and I have naturally dry skin, so I know I'm facing a world of loose skin! I've really waged war on it in the past month. Things I do are:

1. Stay well hydrated.
    2. Do strength training, the more muscle underneath, the less it looks loose.
    3. 100mg of Vitamin C daily - it's essential for healthy cell and collagen production.
    4. Moisturise as soon as you get out of the shower. I use a special moisturiser designed for pregnancy (ha!) that has vitamin E, cocoa butter, shea butter and extra collagen.
    5. I massage Bio Oil in to my arms, boobs, tummy and thighs before bed.
    6. I wear tummy tucking knickers and a sports bra to bed, spanx to the gym and two sports bras!
    7. Exfoliate lightly everyday and more harshly twice a week.

I'm really, really noticing a difference. The vitamin C has probably made the biggest difference so far, I got the tip from another MFPer and I can really see things tightening up.
  • pugs4eyes
    pugs4eyes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have lost 130 ish and I started this journey at 38 years old. I am in the same boat. I have exercised and it didn't help me. I am considering plastic surgery. My tummy and upper arms I need the most work. I have just learned to dress to cover it up well. No middrift tops or short sleeves. My upper theighs are loose too. I wear longer shorts and longer bathing suits.