Trouble working out my calorie deficit

Options
taspepi7014
taspepi7014 Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2021 in Getting Started
Hi everyone.
I’m struggling with working out my calorie deficit. I’m 6”1, 110kg and 25% body fat. I’m trying to work out my calorie deficit. I started at 2600 calories day and dropped some weight but stalled. Then went to 2400 and struggled due to training and felt quite tired and always hungry. My macros are around 240 G protein, same carbs and 80 grams fat. Can anyone please let me know how they worked theirs out… thank you

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @taspepi7014 I am moving your thread over to the getting started board for more responses, I think you will get lost on introduce yourself

Hope you find the answers you are looking for!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Here is a calculator that uses about the same formula as MFP. It's helpful to try some different settings.

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

I suggest setting your deficit to about 25% of your sedentary TDEE (maintenance calorie level). Then add in some calories for workouts.

Let me say that the incredible emphasis on eating protein may be part of your problem. When you are in caloric deficit, your body will metabolize extra protein for energy, but it's a slow and inefficient process. Maybe try lowering your protein a bit and allocate more to fats and carbs, particularly if you are doing any endurance workouts.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I’m struggling with working out my calorie deficit. I’m 6”1, 110kg and 25% body fat. I’m trying to work out my calorie deficit. I started at 2600 calories day and dropped some weight but stalled. Then went to 2400 and struggled due to training and felt quite tired and always hungry. My macros are around 240 G protein, same carbs and 80 grams fat. Can anyone please let me know how they worked theirs out… thank you

How much to lose to healthy goal weight?

That determines the amount of deficit to take.

from 0.5 - 1.5% of your body weight weekly, that's from 15 to over 100 lbs to lose range, obviously losing slower when body has less fat as extra energy source.

Using MFP as designed thats around:
    over 50 lbs to lose - 1000 cal deficit
    30-50 - 750 cal
    10-30 - 500
    under 10 - 250
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    My online friend @heybales has lots of great advice and I can understand where this particular advice could be helpful. But, I believe the deficit you choose is better considered as a percentage of your maintenance caloric requirement (TDEE), not as an absolute number.

This produces some of what @heybales is proposing: when you are heavier, your TDEE is higher, and your calorie deficit can be larger (if you want) still staying within some particular percentage of TDEE. If you want to lose weight, the main thing is to pick a deficit that you can maintain for as long as it will take, and that can be a long time. 25% is a good rule of thumb, but you can pick whatever you want, within reason.

Example: a heavy person my have a TDEE of 3000kcals. A 25% deficit would be 750kcals. After losing a significant amount of weight, the same person might have a TDEE of 2000kcals, where a 25% deficit would be 500kcals. But, even if that person had only 5 lbs to lose, they could go back to a 25% deficit. In fact, I do it all the time. There is no particular reason to taper the deficit as you approach your goal weight, unless you want to.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes, many studies seem to do 20% in their protocols, but some reasonable rates are up around 30% too if a lot to lose.

But I've seen many that didn't view it as % of their TDEE when they set their deficit, but were actually around 50%, and that's just extreme (unless in morbid obese and above range).
  • taspepi7014
    Options
    Here is a calculator that uses about the same formula as MFP. It's helpful to try some different settings.

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

I suggest setting your deficit to about 25% of your sedentary TDEE (maintenance calorie level). Then add in some calories for workouts.

Let me say that the incredible emphasis on eating protein may be part of your problem. When you are in caloric deficit, your body will metabolize extra protein for energy, but it's a slow and inefficient process. Maybe try lowering your protein a bit and allocate more to fats and carbs, particularly if you are doing any endurance workouts.

Thank you for your help
  • taspepi7014
    Options
    My online friend @heybales has lots of great advice and I can understand where this particular advice could be helpful. But, I believe the deficit you choose is better considered as a percentage of your maintenance caloric requirement (TDEE), not as an absolute number.

This produces some of what @heybales is proposing: when you are heavier, your TDEE is higher, and your calorie deficit can be larger (if you want) still staying within some particular percentage of TDEE. If you want to lose weight, the main thing is to pick a deficit that you can maintain for as long as it will take, and that can be a long time. 25% is a good rule of thumb, but you can pick whatever you want, within reason.

Example: a heavy person my have a TDEE of 3000kcals. A 25% deficit would be 750kcals. After losing a significant amount of weight, the same person might have a TDEE of 2000kcals, where a 25% deficit would be 500kcals. But, even if that person had only 5 lbs to lose, they could go back to a 25% deficit. In fact, I do it all the time. There is no particular reason to taper the deficit as you approach your goal weight, unless you want to.

Great thank you
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

from 0.5 - 1.5% of your body weight weekly, that's from 15 to over 100 lbs to lose range, obviously losing slower when body has less fat as extra energy source.

30-50 - 750 cal
    10-30 - 500
    under 10 - 250

Using these figures, and assuming you have 30-50 pounds to lose I have you at 2450 calories per day. I know that's not an exact number as we're all individual, and may be on the low side for you. All that said, 2600 seems reasonable to me. I think plateaus are an inevitable part of the weight loss process. Just stick with it, think long term and you'll get there.
  • taspepi7014
    Options

J72FIT wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

30-50 - 750 cal
    10-30 - 500
    under 10 - 250

Using these figures, and assuming you have 30-50 pounds to lose I have you at 2450 calories per day. I know that's not an exact number as we're all individual, and may be on the low side for you. All that said, 2600 seems reasonable to me. I think plateaus are an inevitable part of the weight loss process. Just stick with it, think long term and you'll get there.

Brilliant thank you for your help
    I’ll give that a go
  • OllieS0806
    OllieS0806 Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    One key thing here is to make sure you are measuring your daily calories accurately. Put everything into MFP. Use a scale to make sure you are accurate. Don't "lick the spoon" too often when getting your food ready. If you measure accurately, you might find that you are actually going a bit over what you think you are consuming.
  • taspepi7014
    Options
    OllieS0806 wrote: »
    One key thing here is to make sure you are measuring your daily calories accurately. Put everything into MFP. Use a scale to make sure you are accurate. Don't "lick the spoon" too often when getting your food ready. If you measure accurately, you might find that you are actually going a bit over what you think you are consuming.

Hi there. Been measuring consistently for around 12 months. I’lol tweak it a bit and see if it helps.
    Thanks again for your help appreciate it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    Options
    up to 25% while correctly classified as obese; up to 20% when overweight or normal weight would be my suggestion... which is remarkably close to what is being discussed above! :smiley: