Changing the colors.

I switched to maintenance, which upped my calorie limit, and that should be my average amount. Well, when I go over that amount, it is bright red, which reads as a very bad thing in my mind every time I see it. Logically I know it doesn't really matter, but it would just make me a lot more comfortable about it if it was a different color. I think when you reach maintenance or if your goal is to gain weight, it should use different colors, or better yet, just have it be black font with no colors showing either a positive or a negative. To me, the red just screams "YOU SCREWED UP!" when really I didn't because I'm no longer trying to lose weight. I mostly use the website on my Macbook btw. I have the app also, but I prefer logging on my computer.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    there is a suggestion forum where you can place this but there is no way for you to change the color.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I hear what you're saying . . . but speaking as someone now quite long in maintenance (5+ years), if I get a mix of red and green totals on my diary page, I just pretend it's Christmas. I like Christmas.

Yes, I'm joking. It would be fine to suggest this color idea in the right part of the Community, which is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/website-suggestions-feedback

Since it would take a long time to get this approved and implemented even assuming they think it's a great idea, it may be a good thing to work on trying to reframe your reaction to it, to take out some of the stress about it, if you possibly can. In my experience as a pretty old person now, I've found there are a lot of cases where it's much easier to change how I think about or react to a thing, than it is to change the thing itself. I figure I'm 100% in control of my thinking, hardly at all in control of much else. (Doesn't mean it's always *easy* to change the thinking, of course. Developing reaction-control skills is pretty useful, though, in diverse contexts.)

Best wishes!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited August 2021
    Your best bet is to reframe your reaction to it. There are things that are actually broken that aren't getting fixed. One annoying database glitch goes back to 2015.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    If that is the only problem you have since reaching maintenance, I would say that you are in a good place

There are far more important things that needed to be fix on MFP - for example: when you click on a food in your database, you should be able enter that food in say lunch, instead of having to enter it into breakfast and then moving it to lunch or dinner where you really need it.

Now that is real progress and save all of us a lot of time wasting and clicking
  • AnnPT77
    socajam wrote: »
    If that is the only problem you have since reaching maintenance, I would say that you are in a good place

There are far more important things that needed to be fix on MFP - for example: when you click on a food in your database, you should be able enter that food in say lunch, instead of having to enter it into breakfast and then moving it to lunch or dinner where you really need it.

Huh?

On web MFP, when adding foods to a meal, if you select "All meals" next to "add your favorites for" (right under the search box), you should be able to select any of the foods (from any meal) for the meal you're logging at the time. On the Android app, when I click "Add food" from my diary, and have the "All" selection highlighted near the top, it's showing me all the foods from any meals not just the meal I'm adding to (in "most recent" order, because I have that selected at top right), and will search those first if I start typing a search term.

It sounds like it's behaving differently from that for you? Or you're starting from the foods rather than "add foods", maybe?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Huh?

On web MFP, when adding foods to a meal, if you select "All meals" next to "add your favorites for" (right under the search box), you should be able to select any of the foods (from any meal) for the meal you're logging at the time. On the Android app, when I click "Add food" from my diary, and have the "All" selection highlighted near the top, it's showing me all the foods from any meals not just the meal I'm adding to (in "most recent" order, because I have that selected at top right), and will search those first if I start typing a search term.

It sounds like it's behaving differently from that for you? Or you're starting from the foods rather than "add foods", maybe?

If I understand both of you, I have the same problem as @socajam when I enter foods (from add food) on the web, if the food I'm looking for was last in my diary under a different meal, but not recently enough to show up under "all meals." I have to add it from the meal-specific list to the meal in which I last ate it, then click on the food I've just added and save it to the meal I actually want to record it under.

Personally, if I could get one thing changed on the web version (and it's a big thing, I know), it would be to make My Recipes searchable after I click on add food. In the Android app (back when it worked on my phone, and yes, I really need to get a new phone), you could just typing the name of the recipe when you were in "add" mode and it would find all the matching text strings. Scrolling through 20+ pages of recipes is a pain in the patooie.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Huh?

If I understand both of you, I have the same problem as @socajam when I enter foods (from add food) on the web, if the food I'm looking for was last in my diary under a different meal, but not recently enough to show up under "all meals." I have to add it from the meal-specific list to the meal in which I last ate it, then click on the food I've just added and save it to the meal I actually want to record it under.

Personally, if I could get one thing changed on the web version (and it's a big thing, I know), it would be to make My Recipes searchable after I click on add food. In the Android app (back when it worked on my phone, and yes, I really need to get a new phone), you could just typing the name of the recipe when you were in "add" mode and it would find all the matching text strings. Scrolling through 20+ pages of recipes is a pain in the patooie.

Yeah, if it's a matter of relative recentness, with the limited pages on the web version, I could see that. I do understand your point about recipes on the web, too. I've tried to structure my recipe names to make them more convenient to find, but that has limitations, too. These days I mostly log on my phone. Even so, I can see pluses in the web approach (e.g., check multiple items on the same page, add them all) and different ones in the app (e.g., how the search works).
  • IllustriousBee
    IllustriousBee Posts: 70 Member
    You all are right, and I'll get over it. I just thought that it would change when I switched my goal to maintain. I know this site/app isn't perfect, but it's free or fairly inexpensive for premium so it works well enough. The database can be annoying though, so I get that. I've tried several different nutrition tracking websites/apps over the years, and none of them is perfect. I guess to get perfection I'd have to design one myself, and I'm not doing that LOL.