Fibre

I need some help! I don't get enough fibre and it has ramifications.
I don't eat alot of fruit, I'm allergic to some and don't like many others. I eat some veg but if I have a sandwich for lunch then I'm not gonna have a bowl of broccoli with it..!
Any suggestions on high fibre snacks or drinks to up my intake? Please and thanks!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Hummus instead of mayo on your Sammie? A side of carrot and celery sticks instead of chips? High fiber bread? Oatmeal for breakfast?

Also, try cooked and cooled greens (spinach? Kale? Chard?) On your sandwich instead of lettuce. When cooked, greens reduce in volume substantially, and if you squeeze the extra water out, you'd be surprised how much you can put on a sandwich (109 g or more!)
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Wholemeal bread and salad in your sandwich, some cherry tomatoes with lunch.
    A bowl of salad with dinner, as well as whatever veg you would have anyway.

I often make a big pan of vegetable soup and eat for lunch over a few days with oatcakes and hummous.
    Also sometimes make a salad with quinoa/bulghar wheat, roast veg, and some raw veg chopped small.

Roast veg are handy to have around for chucking into sandwiches or wraps. Peppers, aubergine, courgette ,onion, sweet potato will all sit happily in the fridge for a few days.

Baked beans are good, easy on toast or with a baked potato.

Have you tried fruit prepared in different ways? For example, I'm not very keen on raw apple, but will often cook one up with a bit of cinnamon to have with my porridge for breakfast.

Snacks - roasted chickpeas, habas fritas (roasted broad beans), pistachio nuts...

I don't know if you cook much, but I will for example throw a handful of red lentils into bolognese sauce, or some pearl barley into stew/soup.

Personally I would rather have more fibre incidentally in things I am eating anyway rather than having some horrible specifically high fibre cardboardy snack (I have terrible memories of ryvita and rice cakes!)
    So hopefully with some of these will help.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    You can supplement fiber. Lots of people do. Metamucil is one brand, I used to buy the orange flavor. It's easy to supplement.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    ^^ This and fibre cereals. I'm an All Bran fan. Great with berries but it has a sweetness on its on.

Also, try exploring new (to you) produce. It can help when you source local, seasonal vegetables and fruits. That way you're getting maximum taste and freshness... something you may not be getting now and hence the low intake.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited August 2021
    I use psyllium husk normally mid-morning both for the fiber and it curbs any perceived hunger before lunch. I also eat a fair amount of avocado and whole grain breads and legumes
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Beans and lentils will help a lot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't eat alot of fruit, I'm allergic to some and don't like many others. I eat some veg but if I have a sandwich for lunch then I'm not gonna have a bowl of broccoli with it..!
    Any suggestions on high fibre snacks or drinks to up my intake? Please and thanks!

While veg and fruit do have some fiber, the most bang for your buck is going to be things like oats and other whole grains, legumes, lentils, etc. These things help significantly. You may also want to supplement with something like Metamucil.

Fruits and veg are outstanding for essential vitamins and minerals, but one would be hard pressed to hit their fiber targets with fruit and veg.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

My partner has chips with his sandwiches. I do have vegetables. This time of year it is green beans.

However, like others have said, an easier source of fiber is legumes and lentils. I like to throw a can of white beans into any pasta dish. I add lentils to chicken cacciatore.

My split pea soup recipe has a crazy amount of fiber but I don't eat soup this time of year. I made hummus with split peas recently that was very good. I reduced the olive oil and added tahini.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/split-pea-hummus
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Wholemeal bread and salad in your sandwich, some cherry tomatoes with lunch.
    A bowl of salad with dinner, as well as whatever veg you would have anyway.

I often make a big pan of vegetable soup and eat for lunch over a few days with oatcakes and hummous.
    Also sometimes make a salad with quinoa/bulghar wheat, roast veg, and some raw veg chopped small.

Roast veg are handy to have around for chucking into sandwiches or wraps. Peppers, aubergine, courgette ,onion, sweet potato will all sit happily in the fridge for a few days.

Baked beans are good, easy on toast or with a baked potato.

Have you tried fruit prepared in different ways? For example, I'm not very keen on raw apple, but will often cook one up with a bit of cinnamon to have with my porridge for breakfast.

Snacks - roasted chickpeas, habas fritas (roasted broad beans), pistachio nuts...

I don't know if you cook much, but I will for example throw a handful of red lentils into bolognese sauce, or some pearl barley into stew/soup.

Personally I would rather have more fibre incidentally in things I am eating anyway rather than having some horrible specifically high fibre cardboardy snack (I have terrible memories of ryvita and rice cakes!)
    So hopefully with some of these will help.
    I love Ryvita 😳 okay usually smothered in butter or cream cheese but come on, they’re crunchy and yummy! 🤣
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Milled/ground flax seed has a bit, plus some other useful nutrients. (12g, about a slightly heaped tablespoon = 55 cals, some nice Omega-3s, 3g protein, 4g fiber). It's good in oatmeal, among other things.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

While veg and fruit do have some fiber, the most bang for your buck is going to be things like oats and other whole grains, legumes, lentils, etc. These things help significantly. You may also want to supplement with something like Metamucil.

Fruits and veg are outstanding for essential vitamins and minerals, but one would be hard pressed to hit their fiber targets with fruit and veg.

Heh. 63g fiber yesterday, almost entirely from fruit/veggies, most non-legume. But I'm an insanely huge veggie/fruit lover, and it's prime summer veggie season here. I think I may've hit a veggie/fruit servings PR, and not everyone would want to eat that much. Nor should, if their body isn't gradually adapted to that much fiber!

OP, maybe consider roasting veggies (gives them richer flavor, and is easy), using them as an ingredient in sandwiches or salad, or other dishes. I often roast up a batch of assorted ones, put them in the fridge, use them through the week in various ways.
  • peachybum21
    peachybum21 Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks everyone, just read through all of these and there's some really brilliant suggestions! Thank you all so.much 😊😊😊
  • tyenovkian
    tyenovkian Posts: 742 Member
    Aldi's has some good high fiber breads (keto friendly buns, wheat bread) and there are good high fiber wraps/pits, like Joseph's oat and flax pita or lavish. Tumaro also has some wraps high in fiber.