I look like the Michelin man with a flat tire - what can I wear to look ok?

Options
chublet25
chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
edited August 2021 in Motivation and Support
I've lost 65 pounds and, well, I really do look like the Michelin man with a big flat saggy tire around his middle. Sorry if that's TMI, but what on earth can I wear so that I don't look awful? Do I need to get some shapewear? I've been wearing huge baggy shirts (well, my old shirts, to be honest!) because anything close-fitting looks perfectly hideous and as an instructor I have to stand up in front of a whole lot of university-age students and I really don't want to look terrible or to get distracted thinking that they're staring at my flat tire! Does anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,347 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Are you a woman? As a woman I find high-waisted pants (jeans in my case) awesome in disguising/'compacting' my belly flab, and more comfortable than shapewear. When I do that, I can wear shirts/tops that are tighter without 'unsightly' wobbly bulges.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I started wearing compression tank tops that are long. They are cheap compared to traditional shapewear so I just replace them as I lose and they continue to have a utility.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing that weight. Don't let the deflating spare tire get you down. In time it will lessen and you'll figure out what works. I'm sure everyone who knows you is impressed with your weight loss.,
  • chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am a woman, sorry - that might have been helpful - like the idea of high-wasted trousers and compression tops. I am indeed hoping the situation will improve, eventually. I don't know about the belt - I think it'd have to be very very wide to hide my tire under, haha! Thanks for your answers, everybody! I appreciate it!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The old standby is tunic-length things that fall from the shoulders/bust to a fullness lower down, loose-fitting but not baggy. If you like them, something at the neckline (long loop of narrow scarf, nice striking necklace that hits mid upper chest, something like that) can be a visual distractor, too. Less-constructed light jacket or open overshirt over t-shirt that skims body rather than clings, maybe?

This.
    And it’s especially flattering for a college instructor. There is something to the way an open tunic type item - especially if it’s lightweight and flowing, and made from high quality fabric - looks very professional and keeps the focus off your shape and on your face while you’re doing the classroom work.
    Bonus? One size fits all.